Posted to alt.home.repair

Default mobile home installation

Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?

Cement pads?

Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?

Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/2019 3:10 PM, micky wrote:
Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?

Cement pads?

Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?

Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

I can see a hefty investment up front. Before the first trailer is in
place you need a plan for sewer, water, power, phone, cable. At least
the main road in. You'd have to check local regulations for spaces and
how many spots you can put in.

There are a lot of trailer parks also having financial problems and
being sucked up by some investment company.

Unless I had a lot of experience in land development already, I'd not
touch it.
https://publicintegrity.org/business...s-on-the-poor/
https://apnews.com/de31aa729f514f48b934bf23ebd3f641
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/19/19 2:10 PM, micky wrote:
Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?

Cement pads?

Some trailers are supported by plain old concrete blocks. The
installers put
chunks of lumber on the blocks to level the trailers. Others drill
holes in the ground
then fill the holes with concrete. They'd have three or four pillars in
the ground on
each side to support the trailers. Then they do the blocking necessary
to level the
trailers.

Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?

Of course. A low spot invites mosquitoes. You'd want asphalt
roads at least.

Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

Not for me.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 15:10:17 -0500, micky
wrote:

Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?
Cement pads?
Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?
Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

I would suspect that starting a brand new
__permanent__ mobile home park -
ie : not a trailer park
- on a piece of un-serviced property -
would involve a ton of money ; a good lawyer
and some connections with the county government.
: community water well - supply and treatment ?
: sewage treatment ?
: electrical distribution capacity ?
: any natural gas nearby ?
: zoning changes ?
: emergency services - fire ; ambulance ; police fees ?
: roads dept. approvals for heavy traffic ?
. . etc etc etc just getting warmed up !

The local municipality should be able to answer your question
about specific mobile home building code issues.

Over the years, I've known people who lived in "trailer parks"
my Dad - in his early retirement years - by choice
- they were all lovely people - unfortunately - some of their
neighbours were not ... but that can happen in town !
John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 17:25:03 -0600, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

On 11/19/19 2:10 PM, micky wrote:
[...]

And DEFINITELY not for Micky. WAY beyond his pay grade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?

Cement pads?

Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?

Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

Have you looked at the zoning?
Most places will not let you start a new trailer park.
Land zoned for trailers is a gold mine in Florida because it is
getting rarer every day.
Investment banks are not buying trailer parks because they are
financially troubled, they buy them because the residents are stuck
and they can be bled dry.
They will make the owner an offer they can't refuse.

The 35+ acre park up the street from me just sold for $15.25 million.
Rents immediately went up about 50%. The people have to pay or just
walk away from their trailer because most can't be moved. (The new
building code would kick in if they move)

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?
Cement pads?
Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?
Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

I would suspect that starting a brand new
__permanent__ mobile home park -
ie : not a trailer park
- on a piece of un-serviced property -
would involve a ton of money ; a good lawyer
and some connections with the county government.
: community water well - supply and treatment ?
: sewage treatment ?
: electrical distribution capacity ?

No problemo. Each trailer will use one of Micky's 100 ft 16 gauge
extension cords. Or maybe put three trailers on one with a cord with
a three headed end.

: any natural gas nearby ?
: zoning changes ?
: emergency services - fire ; ambulance ; police fees ?
: roads dept. approvals for heavy traffic ?
. . etc etc etc just getting warmed up !

The local municipality should be able to answer your question
about specific mobile home building code issues.

Over the years, I've known people who lived in "trailer parks"
my Dad - in his early retirement years - by choice
- they were all lovely people - unfortunately - some of their
neighbours were not ... but that can happen in town !
John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 19 Nov 2019 21:07:20 -0500, micky
wrote:

wrote:

Do mobile homes need special land preparation before they are put in
place, in mobile home parks?

Cement pads?

Drainage (in addition to sewer connection)?

Does buying vacant land in Texas and building a mobile home park seem
like a good investment to you?

Have you looked at the zoning?

It's supposed to have the zoning already, but that it might still need a
building permit, right?

Most places will not let you start a new trailer park.
Land zoned for trailers is a gold mine in Florida because it is
getting rarer every day.
Investment banks are not buying trailer parks because they are
financially troubled, they buy them because the residents are stuck
and they can be bled dry.
They will make the owner an offer they can't refuse.

The 35+ acre park up the street from me just sold for $15.25 million.
Rents immediately went up about 50%. The people have to pay or just
walk away from their trailer because most can't be moved. (The new
building code would kick in if they move)

Ugh.

Like I said, if you can buy land zoned for trailers that ain't fumbuck
Arkansas, It might be a good investment.
You do have a big capital expense up front. Lots of land development
to get utilities and services to their sites and maybe even a sewer
plant if the city isn't there but as things are going, there are
plenty of people who can only afford a mobile home and you can suck
their blood out of them through their credit card. Welcome to being an
HO gauge Berkshire Hathaway.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

And I woulnd't want to build and rent an apartment building either.

Now I just have to convince my friend it's a bad idea.

John T

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Like I said in my other note, if it is legal zoning now and not likely
to be in the near future, it might be a gold mine. (20 year time
frame). If this is near a place with a population of lower middle
class folks and an influx of new money Yuppies who think trailers are
horrible (changing zoning rules) it might be an opportunity.
In the mean time it is a reliable revenue stream because moving
trailers is usually more than they are worth so you have a reliable
renter. Just be ready to call a bill collector and foreclose. The guy
who I know was rolling in money, still poor mouthing folks until he
sold his 36 acres for over $15 million.
The buyer didn't build luxury water front condos. He still has a 225
unit trailer park there. Minimal capital investment and a reliable
revenue stream. That is why venture capital guys buy trailer parks.