Posted to alt.home.repair

Default 3-way Wiring

I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals. I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1203354-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/19 4:14 PM, Jake Chominsky wrote:
I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals.Â* I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then
connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new
wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

Maybe some remote control three way light switches:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=three+way+remote+light+controls&ref=nb_sb_noss
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/17/2019 5:43 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
[...]

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Maybe some remote control three way light switches:
https://www.amazon.com/s?k=three+way+remote+light+controls&ref=nb_sb_noss

May not even need a 3-way depending on where and how it is used. Alexa,
turn on first switch.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sun, 17 Nov 2019 22:14:03 +0000, Jake Chominsky
m wrote:

I have an 1950’s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals. I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls where’d I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

What floor is the switch on? How many floors in the house? Finished
ceiling in the basement? Finished floor in the attic?

You may or may not not need to demo anything to run another wire, but
answer the 4 quewtions above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Jake Chominsky wrote:
I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals.Â* I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then
connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new
wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

Look at:

https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/...-diagrams.html

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals. I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

I would look at a wireless solution. There is no way to add a 3 way
loop without running 3 wire plus ground cable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 17, 2019 at 7:25:07 PM UTC-5, Ken wrote:
Jake Chominsky wrote:
I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals.Â* I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then
connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new
wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

Look at:

https://www.do-it-yourself-help.com/...-diagrams.html

+1

His case is the "light first" one. A three wire cable to the new location and two 3 way switches will do it. The only issue is code compliance, since there is no ground on the circuit. I guess you're either supposed to rewire the whole circuit or get an inspector that says it is ok to expand this without being compliant. It would be no less safe than what's already there.
Posted to alt.home.repair

om wrote:

I have an 1950’s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals. I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls where’d I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

What floor is the switch on? How many floors in the house? Finished
ceiling in the basement? Finished floor in the attic?

You may or may not not need to demo anything to run another wire, but
answer the 4 quewtions above.

Jake, you haven't answered. Do you want to khow how you may be able to
add your switch without demo, or not?

Ken's wiring diagrams are very good. The one that's best for you
depends on the answer to the 4 questions above.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

A few strategically placed access holes in the walls and ceiling made with a 6" hole saw and even a hack like Sweener could knock this job out in less than a day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

I have an 1950s home with older wiring. Most of the house only has a black
and white wire connecting to lights and recepticals. I want to do a 3-way
switch. Currently, the power is coming in through the light then connecting to
the on/off switch. How could I install a 3-way if I can only add a new wired
line from a new switch (#2) to the current light and also cannot upgrade or
touch the existing wired line from the current switch to the current the
current light? The reason I cannot touch the existing line is because it is
behind 2x4s and walls whered I have to demo a wall which is outside of my
capabilities.

I would look at a wireless solution. There is no way to add a 3 way
loop without running 3 wire plus ground cable.

He only said it would be difficult to run a new cable where the existing
cable run, not between the existing switch and the new proposed location
and he implied that can be done. That's all he needs for it to work.

Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

It is usually easier to repair a floor to ceiling 16" wide piece than
to fix a bunch of holes. It just scares people.
Posted to alt.home.repair

m wrote:

[...]

Nah, just cover up the access holes with old smoke detectors.

Posted to alt.home.repair

caedfaa9ed1216d60ef78a6f660f5f85_14722@example. com wrote:

[...]

Depending on where the switch and light are, it might not be necessary
to put any holes in the walls.

If the floor above is an attic without a finished floor, you can likely
drill from the existing switch box up to the attic, using a flexible 6'
drill bit, which they nnow sell at home depot (probalby get the biggest
diameter they sell) then run the cable to the light fixture which shoudl
be available under the insulation. Then decide where the second switch
will be, cut the hole for it, and drill up into the attic again.

If the floor below the light switch is a basement with an unfinished
ceiling, you can likely drill down from the swtich box, through the
plate into the basement, and run the cable over to where you want the
switch to be. you will have already drilled down from the switch
location to the basement and you can feed the cable up to the new switch
location.

No damage to any wall or ceiling.