Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Carb on Tecumseh engine leaking gas

I have a 5 hp tecumseh snowblower. Whenever I tilt it back fuel leaks out of
the top of the bowl. Last year I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The
gasket seemed fine to me so put it back and the problem seemed to go away. Now
the problem has resurfaced. It leaks only when I tilt it back. Its fine when
level.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...s-1202752-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 9 Nov 2019 23:14:02 +0000, Nikita L
m wrote:

I have a 5 hp tecumseh snowblower. Whenever I tilt it back fuel leaks out of
the top of the bowl. Last year I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The
gasket seemed fine to me so put it back and the problem seemed to go away. Now
the problem has resurfaced. It leaks only when I tilt it back. Its fine when
level.

pinched a fold or turn or crack
in the old fragile gasket ... my guess.
Don't force it tighter try a tiny bit of tightening
otherwise new gasket.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 11/9/19 6:14 PM, Nikita L wrote:
I have a 5 hp tecumseh snowblower. Whenever I tilt it back fuel leaks
out of
the top of the bowl. Last year I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The
gasket seemed fine to me so put it back and the problem seemed to go
away. Now
the problem has resurfaced. It leaks only when I tilt it back. Its fine
when
level.

Replace the gasket. It may "seem fine" but it probably isn't. And it's
cheap.

--
Weve transitioned from stigmatizing mental illness to accepting mental
illness to normalizing mental illness- and more recently, to celebrating
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, November 10, 2019 at 7:29:14 AM UTC-5, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 11/9/19 6:14 PM, Nikita L wrote:
I have a 5 hp tecumseh snowblower. Whenever I tilt it back fuel leaks
out of
the top of the bowl. Last year I took the carb apart and cleaned it. The
gasket seemed fine to me so put it back and the problem seemed to go
away. Now
the problem has resurfaced. It leaks only when I tilt it back. Its fine
when
level.

Replace the gasket. It may "seem fine" but it probably isn't. And it's
cheap.

You can get carb rebuild kits that give you that gasket, plus needle valves, etc
for typical carbs on Ebay for a few bucks. Should check the gasket between
the carb and engine if you take it off and if needed get one of those too,
it's typically not included in the carb rebuild kit.