Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

Default What should we care about in a home router to select the best for us?

On Sun, 27 Oct 2019 19:10:52 -0000 (UTC), in alt.comp.os.windows-10,
Arlen _G_ Holder wrote:

What should we care about in a home router to select the best for us?

In a recent thread on the Windows ng, it was noted by one that their
current router worked just fine even as it was 9 years old.
o Router recommendations
https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/tQOZWnVo/ot-router-recommendations

Same with me, although mine is "much" newer, as the warranty expired in
2013 so it's a 2012 router!

Given what we know about power attainable in WiFi based on the Ubiquiti
thread, what REALLY matters in terms of buying a home router today?
o Curious how far your Wi-Fi access point is from your desktop computer
https://alt.comp.os.windows-10.narkive.com/DuhwEEDs/curious-how-far-your-wi-fi-access-point-is-from-your-desktop-computer

Typical home routers are hopelessly anemic in terms of power, aren't they?
o So what really matters when buying a router for your home today?

I don't know, but as I am wont to do, I'll make a first pass stab:
(This is just a guess since I'm not looking for a router myself.)

1. First in import, I would think, is WiFI AP transmit power, which, let's
face it, is almost fatally anemic in all home routers, but if you can get
3dBm more than some other router, that's DOUBLE the power (and, as I
recall, 1/4 more range).

2. Second in import, I would think, isn't antenna gain (as they're all
likely 3dBI or so omni antennas, even as the marketing of them may get
"fancy" with all sorts of technologies that simple "gain" would more
directly overwhelm), nor is second in import, I would think, the supported
protocols, as AC of whatever "speed" you can get is gonna be in all of
them.

Second in import, I guess, is "speed", which, um, I don't know, I guess
it's directly related to the CPU and RAM of the computer inside the router,
but where the lies about "claimed" speed may make that comparison
difficult.

3. Third in import, I guess, is "everything else", such as, oh, perhaps:
a. Detachable antenna (so you can put a more directional antenna if needed)
b. USB port (CIFs SAMBA, so you can put files on the Internet, if needed)
c. (special needs may take priority, like multiple fast streaming needs)

4. I suspect the commodity checklist stuff goes here, such as
a. fast ports, usually 4, but the faster & more the better of course
b. firewall configuration (but don't they all have them?)
c. what else matters?

What do we care about in a home router to select the best for us?

I just plug an antenna into my RJ-45 wall jack and that works great.

--
Zag

No one ever said on their deathbed, 'Gee, I wish I had
spent more time alone with my computer.' ~Dan(i) Bunten
Posted to alt.comp.os.windows-10,alt.internet.wireless,alt.home.repair

--
|_|O|_|