Old October 12th 19, 09:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Why don't we have more nuclear power?

People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power
and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.
**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

Old October 12th 19, 10:18 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:55:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power

There is of course a huge difference between the Navy and civilian
uses. Like the increased national security from having couple
dozen boomer subs able to stay at sea for six months at a time.
And that the Navy doesn't much care what the cost is, while for
civilian use, nuclear has to be competitive. I think there is a roll
for nuclear and you'd think the global warming folks who say the world
is going to end if we don't do something soon, would be in favor of
allowing part of that something to be nuclear power.

There are about 50 nukes under construction right now around the world,
more in the planning stages. Last couple that got started here, went
bust after Westinghouse went bust.

and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.
**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

I agree with the last part. If we're headed for such an epic disaster,
then clearly nuclear is orders of magnitude better than that.

Old October 13th 19, 12:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair

I live about 50 miles from the largest nuclear power generating facility
in the world.

And since it's based on the Canadian "CANDU" reactor design, it's
inherently safe and has almost no possible failure modes. This is
unlike the US based GE designs, which are boiling-water based, and have
several failure modes (Japan discovered this a few years ago and are
still struggling with containing it).

See my next post regarding this timely topic on nuclear power and US
uranium supply...
Old October 13th 19, 04:29 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Oct 2019 23:26:02 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 12 Oct 2019 16:54:50 -0400,
wrote:

People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power

Sailors are paid to face death, civilians doen't want to. We've had
ships sink, including submarines where the entire crew dies. But they
still build ships.

and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.

Chernobyl, 3-mile Island, and the one in Japan. Plus even when things
go well, no place is willing to take the waste material.

**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

So if people don't use your remedy, they shouldn't complain? You're in
charge? Is that true about everything?

BTW, and probably most important wrt to your last line, it's only some
of the same people who are against nuclear power who want to do
something about climate change. So if A prevents the country from
building nuclear power plants, then B shouldn't complain about global
warming?

Old October 13th 19, 12:10 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:55:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power
and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.
**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

What's your long-term plan for the waste?

Cindy Hamilton
Old October 13th 19, 01:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 13 Oct 2019 04:10:33 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Saturday, October 12, 2019 at 4:55:33 PM UTC-4, wrote:
People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power
and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.
**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

What's your long-term plan for the waste?

Cindy Hamilton

Yucca mountain seems like a decent idea but newer reactors actually
burn the waste and create more fuel. The problem is the fuel is "too
good". (almost weapon's grade)
Old October 13th 19, 01:56 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power

Sailors are paid to face death, civilians doen't want to. We've had
ships sink, including submarines where the entire crew dies. But they
still build ships.

and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.

Chernobyl, 3-mile Island, and the one in Japan.

Tell me again, how many people died at TMI?
You also can't confuse the flawed design of Chernobyl or Fukishima
with the reactors they know how to build.

Plus even when things
go well, no place is willing to take the waste material.

Nobody knows what to do with CO2 either and if I believe Al Gore that
is going to kill us all.

**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

So if people don't use your remedy, they shouldn't complain? You're in
charge? Is that true about everything?

It is not my remedy, it is what the rest of the developed world is
doing. We just let a few activists scare us out of the obvious answer.

Old October 13th 19, 02:22 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power

Sailors are paid to face death, civilians doen't want to. We've had
ships sink, including submarines where the entire crew dies. But they
still build ships.

and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.

Chernobyl, 3-mile Island, and the one in Japan.

Tell me again, how many people died at TMI?

It doesn't matter. These are three of the reasons people don't want
them.

You also can't confuse the flawed design of Chernobyl or Fukishima
with the reactors they know how to build.

I don't know how one can convince people of that.

Plus even when things
go well, no place is willing to take the waste material.

Nobody knows what to do with CO2 either and if I believe Al Gore that
is going to kill us all.

It might kill us, but until then, it blows away.

This is not one of my big interests. I'm just telling you the r easons
other people have.

**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

So if people don't use your remedy, they shouldn't complain? You're in
charge? Is that true about everything?

It is not my remedy, it is what the rest of the developed world is
doing.

But you are the one who just now said they should stfu about global
warming. The rest of the world is not here saying that, you are. So
again I say, if people don't use the remedy you recommend, they
shouldn't complain? You get to decide who complains about what? You're
in charge? Is that true about everything?

BTW, and probably most important wrt to your last line, it's only some
of the same people who are against nuclear power who want to do
something about climate change. So if A prevents the country from
building nuclear power plants, then B shouldn't complain about global
warming?

We just let a few activists scare us out of the obvious answer.

Even if you're right, that happens on a lot of things.

Old October 13th 19, 02:27 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

People act like we built a few reactors in the 50s and 60s, they were
a miserable failure and we had to just give up on them.

Nobody seemed to tell the Navy that (ours or the soviets/russians).
Virtually every capital ship built in the last 30 years has nuke power

Sailors are paid to face death, civilians doen't want to. We've had
ships sink, including submarines where the entire crew dies. But they
still build ships.

and the world is awash in retired veterans, looking for work, who have
20 years or more experience in running them.
This is a very mature science with an excellent safety record.

Chernobyl, 3-mile Island, and the one in Japan.

Tell me again, how many people died at TMI?
You also can't confuse the flawed design of Chernobyl or Fukishima
with the reactors they know how to build.

The Japanese aren't good at engineering and design? If the Japanese
failed to plan for a tsunami, built a nuke where tsunami's are known
to happen, seems US engineers could do the same. They kind of have,
building nukes in earthquake prone areas, near faults, etc. Wouldn't
surprise me if we have an "ooops" from one. We got lucky with TMI,
it could have been Fukishima, it was on the same path, similar design.

Plus even when things
go well, no place is willing to take the waste material.

Nobody knows what to do with CO2 either and if I believe Al Gore that
is going to kill us all.

**** you Jane Fonda and the rest of the intellectually deficient
people who protest them.
If you insist, then STFU about global warming.

So if people don't use your remedy, they shouldn't complain? You're in
charge? Is that true about everything?

It is not my remedy, it is what the rest of the developed world is
doing. We just let a few activists scare us out of the obvious answer.

That I agree with. If global warming is going to destroy the world and
do irreparable harm, then certainly nuclear power should be one of the
alternatives, but mostly the same folks won't allow it. It's like
telling people their kitchen is on fire, but refusing to use a bucket
of water to put it out because the water might possibly harm something.

World Nuclear Assoc: Nuclear power in the UK - a very interesting read Mike Tomlinson UK diy 76 December 23rd 16 03:34 PM
OT More on nuclear power harry UK diy 4 April 21st 16 06:03 AM
OT Nuclear power providing 6x more electricity than wind. Dave Liquorice[_2_] UK diy 14 November 5th 14 10:28 PM
OT Nuclear power providing 6x more electricity than wind. Bill Wright[_2_] UK diy 0 November 4th 14 01:45 PM
Stanp2323 owner of SP TRADING COMPANY nasty attitude don't buy don't buy don't buy Eric Woodworking 4 July 18th 07 12:23 PM