DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   is electric meter giving the accurate reading? (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/640514-electric-meter-giving-accurate-reading.html)

Oumati Asami October 4th 19 05:03 AM

is electric meter giving the accurate reading?

Any way to find out whether the electric meter is giving the accurate
reading?

gregz October 4th 19 08:11 AM

Oumati Asami wrote:
Any way to find out whether the electric meter is giving the accurate reading?

I compared old meter with new. All good.

Greg

Oumati Asami October 4th 19 09:15 AM

On 04/10/19 13:41, gregz wrote:
Oumati Asami wrote:
Any way to find out whether the electric meter is giving the accurate reading?

I compared old meter with new. All good.

Greg

How do you compare? Do you have two meters in parallel?

trader_4 October 4th 19 03:54 PM

On Friday, October 4, 2019 at 12:03:21 AM UTC-4, Oumati Asami wrote:
Any way to find out whether the electric meter is giving the accurate
reading?

You could buy a Kill-a-Watt meter, which is a plug-in meter that
allows you to measure power and energy used to anything you can
plug into it. You'd have to turn off all the breakers except
one on the circuit you plug it into and make sure there are no other
loads. Let it run for a couple hours with a substantial load
and see how they compare. They cost about $20.

I'd do it separately with both a resistance load like a heater with
no fan and a load that has reactance, eg a motor.