Posted to alt.home.repair

Default opening corroded aluminum crank/jalousie windows

Howdy. My house's previous owners glassed in the back porch using jalousie windows -- the kind that you see in mobile homes, three-four horizontal panes per window opening that crank open partway. The crank and hinge mechanisms are aluminum and badly corroded -- clearly haven't been used or maintained in years. Replacing them is off the table for now. Any ideas for getting them open? Acid scrub? I assume I'll have to remove the inside finish strips to access the mechanisms, too -- any suggestions beyond lining up parts so I can replace them?

All advice appreciated. The other half is under the impression that I know about these things. [eyeroll]
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 09:35:37 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Howdy. My house's previous owners glassed in the back porch using jalousie windows -- the kind that you see in mobile homes, three-four horizontal panes per window opening that crank open partway. The crank and hinge mechanisms are aluminum and badly corroded -- clearly haven't been used or maintained in years. Replacing them is off the table for now. Any ideas for getting them open? Acid scrub? I assume I'll have to remove the inside finish strips to access the mechanisms, too -- any suggestions beyond lining up parts so I can replace them?

All advice appreciated. The other half is under the impression that I know about these things. [eyeroll]

That was the most common style of window in Southern Florida for
years. Since A/C, a lot don't get opened often. The best way to get
them going is try to get them open with the crank, hopefully enough to
release the hooks (windows start opening) then remove the crank
assembly (3 screws) and you can pull the windows open manually.
Lubricate all of the pivot points and slides with WD/40 to get it
moving, then use some real oil on them (motor oil works). Usually that
frees them right up. After you get them going, be sure to operate them
regularly as soon as you turn off the A/C in the fall and lube them at
least once a year.
When you are pulling on the windows, pull from the outside edges
evenly or you can break the glass and be sure the hooks released.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 3:08:32 PM UTC-4, wrote:
On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 09:35:37 -0700 (PDT), petrichor
wrote:

[...]

Thanks! I'll give that a go in the morning.