Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Default It's the solenoid

Â* Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise , corrected
that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started unplugging harness
connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging from the trans finally
stopped that . Now the question uppermost in my mind is can the solenoid
be replaced without pulling the trans ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 09:52:25 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise , corrected
that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started unplugging harness
connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging from the trans finally
stopped that . Now the question uppermost in my mind is can the solenoid
be replaced without pulling the trans ?

Pretty sure you can get to it by dropping the pan. It's really messy
though if the pan doesn't have a drain plug. Lots of wires just running
around exposed in there too. Could be were the damage is. This website
has a lot of info and pictures you may find useful:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise ,
corrected that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started
unplugging harness connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging
from the trans finally stopped that . Now the question uppermost in
my mind is can the solenoid be replaced without pulling the trans ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

What happens if you just leave it unplugged?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

Terry Coombs wrote:

Â* Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise , corrected
that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started unplugging harness
connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging from the trans finally
stopped that . Now the question uppermost in my mind is can the solenoid
be replaced without pulling the trans ?

Pretty sure you can get to it by dropping the pan. It's really messy
though if the pan doesn't have a drain plug. Lots of wires just running
around exposed in there too. Could be were the damage is. This website
has a lot of info and pictures you may find useful:

http://www.rowand.net/Shop/Tech/LockupTCCWiring.htm

Â* TRhanks Leon , I shoulda researched before i asked ... it's not that
big of a deal because i also want to change the filter and do an oil
change on this trans . And who knows , there might be a bare wire in
there causing all the problems . But I'm going to order a new solenoid
anyway . I figger as long as I'm under there I might as well go ahead
and change the speedo drive to the mechanical and set it up for the new
3.42 gearset I have sittin' here . And since I noticed a little bit of
oil spray on the underside of the truck , the tail shaft housing will
get a new bushing and seal . No sense at all in doing it halfway then
doing it over .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 11:06 AM, Jim Wilkins wrote:
"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise ,
corrected that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started
unplugging harness connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging
from the trans finally stopped that . Now the question uppermost in
my mind is can the solenoid be replaced without pulling the trans ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

What happens if you just leave it unplugged?

Â*I'll lose probably about 10% on gas mileage and I think that plug also
powers the backup lights . I could care less about the lights , but this
thing gets lousy enough mileage when it all works right .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:23:57 -0500
Terry Coombs wrote:

I'll lose probably about 10% on gas mileage and I think that plug also
powers the backup lights . I could care less about the lights , but this
thing gets lousy enough mileage when it all works right .

When I was fooling with my own years ago... it wasn't plugged in from
the factory and didn't work for the first 3000 miles or so. I figured it
out when I got the service manual and looked up what that loose cable
connection was for

The mechanics I talked with thought it might run hotter unplugged. More
heat generated with the torque converter slipping when the clutch
isn't engaged. That tranny was quite a new design then, a lot more is
known about them nowadays...

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI

Posted to alt.home.repair

rOn Sun, 29 Sep 2019 09:52:25 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

* Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise , corrected
that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started unplugging harness
connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging from the trans finally
stopped that . Now the question uppermost in my mind is can the solenoid
be replaced without pulling the trans ?

Yes. You will need to drop the pan and "possibly" the valve body. Not
a job to do on a dirty floo
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 12:06:01 -0400, "Jim Wilkins"
wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message

Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise ,
corrected that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started
unplugging harness connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging
from the trans finally stopped that . Now the question uppermost in
my mind is can the solenoid be replaced without pulling the trans ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

What happens if you just leave it unplugged?

nothing that is not happening now. He will still get lousy gas
mileage, and the transmissionwill run hot under load and onthe
highway. Only change is the radio will work - - - -
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Terry Coombs" wrote in message
Everything hooked up except the plug at the trans , and the fuse is
not blowing . The plug was inserted a quarter turn clockwise ,
corrected that but it was still blowing the fuse . So I started
unplugging harness connections starting at the firewall . Unplugging
from the trans finally stopped that . Now the question uppermost in
my mind is can the solenoid be replaced without pulling the trans ?

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old
and crochety - and armed .
Get outta my woods !

What happens if you just leave it unplugged?

nothing that is not happening now. He will still get lousy gas
mileage, and the transmissionwill run hot under load and onthe
highway. Only change is the radio will work - - - -

Â* Which is why I ordered a new solenoid today . I needed to change the
oil* and filter in that trans anyway , along with installing the correct
drive gears for the new axle ratio (coming soon , the gearset is sittin'
here right next to my desk) and replacing the tail-shaft housing bushing
and seal . Whew , that was a mouthful ! But that should have everything
right as far as the trans is concerned . Now the motor ... it runs
strong and doesn't burn oil , and I'm waiting to see how much difference
the new axle ratio makes before I decide whether to do any motor mods .

Â* *Unless I can figure out how to drain the converter , I guess this
will just be a partial oil change ... still better than none at all I
guess .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 03:43 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
Yes. You will need to drop the pan and "possibly" the valve body. Not
a job to do on a dirty floor

Try not to drop the valve body into the pan... When I was helping a
friend work on his '59 Buick I was fortunate enough to realize the
implications as he removed the last bolt on the valve body and scuttled
out of the way. The suction held it in place for a few milliseconds.

Love that Dynaflow. It was like driving a boat. Drop the hammer on the
401 and the car would eventually leave the dock at a stately pace. The
soft coil spring suspension enhanced the effect.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

When I change the trans fluid I pull the cooler line and idle the
engine in park with the cooler line "hosed" to the drainpan and pour
new fluid in the top untill thefluid comes out clean at the bottom.
Sure, it costa a few extra quarts - but it's relatively cheap. In your
case I'd drain the pan and change the filter while changing the
solenoid - put a few quarts of fluid in then start it and run it out
through the cooler line till it's clean - should only take an extra 3
or 4 liters - and the fluid WILL be fresh. Also, if you can find a BG
dealer in your area put a can of BG ATC Plus conditioner in. It's the
Bee's Knees for conditioning seals and friction materials and
fortifying the fluid. One of the most respected trans shops around
here puts it in every rebuild, repair, or fluid change - and I used
itfor a couple decades while I was in the business. (Their 44K fuel
system/injector cleaner is also an excellent product)