DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Engine housing question (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/640319-engine-housing-question.html)

Kathy Overman September 28th 19 07:44 PM

Engine housing question

I purchased a Craftsman 919.762500 pressure washer. I am going to try to get
it running, but there is something I need to identify before I start. Between
the pump and the motor there is a small hole in the top of the housing. I have
no idea what it is for. Can anyone provide any information? The image is taken
looking down.
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/j1

Home Guy[_4_] September 28th 19 09:13 PM

Engine housing question

Kathy Overman wrote:

I purchased a Craftsman 919.762500 pressure washer. I am going to try to get
it running, but there is something I need to identify before I start. Between
the pump and the motor there is a small hole in the top of the housing. I have
no idea what it is for. Can anyone provide any information? The image is taken
looking down.

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/j1

I see 2 holes in that picture. A small one to the left of the center of
the picture, and a larger one to the right of center (closer to the
cooling fins).

I'm thinking you mean the larger hole.

Is either hole tapped (do they have threads) ?

The space behind the larger hole just looks to be where the drive shaft
is exiting the motor and entering the pump and I wouldn't think it's
used for anything.

Clare Snyder September 28th 19 09:21 PM

Engine housing question

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 16:13:34 -0400, Home Guy wrote:

Kathy Overman wrote:

I purchased a Craftsman 919.762500 pressure washer. I am going to try to get
it running, but there is something I need to identify before I start. Between
the pump and the motor there is a small hole in the top of the housing. I have
no idea what it is for. Can anyone provide any information? The image is taken
looking down.

https://www.homeownershub.com/img/j1

I see 2 holes in that picture. A small one to the left of the center of
the picture, and a larger one to the right of center (closer to the
cooling fins).

I'm thinking you mean the larger hole.

Is either hole tapped (do they have threads) ?

The space behind the larger hole just looks to be where the drive shaft
is exiting the motor and entering the pump and I wouldn't think it's
used for anything.

It is a "weeper" hole - lets water out from between engine and pump
if a pump seal fails

[email protected] September 29th 19 12:29 AM

Engine housing question

Kathy Overman wrote:

[...]

Bingo!
It also prevents any pressure difference from affecting the other
seal. Some designs are totally open with legs connecting the 2.