Posted to alt.home.repair

Default HVAC duty cycle?

I hate to interrupt the ongoing political trolling but...

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? In other words if my upstairs AC runs
continuously -- that probably means it has a problem or is
undersized. But then, if it was working correctly and was properly
sized -- what duty cycle range would you expect? Thanks.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 28 Sep 2019 09:11:30 -0700 (PDT), Davej
wrote:

I hate to interrupt the ongoing political trolling but...

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? In other words if my upstairs AC runs
continuously -- that probably means it has a problem or is
undersized. But then, if it was working correctly and was properly
sized -- what duty cycle range would you expect? Thanks.

A perfectly sized A/C unit would run continuously on the hottest day
in the design criteria to maintain the design inside temperature.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/28/2019 12:11 PM, Davej wrote:
I hate to interrupt the ongoing political trolling but...

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? In other words if my upstairs AC runs
continuously -- that probably means it has a problem or is
undersized. But then, if it was working correctly and was properly
sized -- what duty cycle range would you expect? Thanks.

Depends on a lot of factors. Upstairs tends to be hotter for two
reasons, heat rises, also it is directly under the roof and solar load.

What was the design criteria? Phoenix will have a different mas
temperature than Concord NH. Was the appropriate temperature used?
Most units are sized for a 20 degree drop from maximum expected.

On the hottest days of summer I'd expect it to run near constant, less
so at night. Cooler days can easily get down below 50%.

Check to see what is running. It is possible the blower is not shutting
off yet the condenser outside is cycling as expected.

What is the thermostat set for? What is the actual temperature?

Also, if it is 90 outside and the thermostat is set to 55, it is not
going to shut off and it won't get down to 55 for another couple of
months, depending on location.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:
I hate to interrupt the ongoing political trolling but...

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? In other words if my upstairs AC runs
continuously -- that probably means it has a problem or is
undersized. But then, if it was working correctly and was properly
sized -- what duty cycle range would you expect? Thanks.

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't it's
undersized.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Davej wrote:

I hate to interrupt the ongoing political trolling but...

It's ok, as long as you occassionally chime in so we know where you
stand...

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? In other words if my upstairs AC runs
continuously -- that probably means it has a problem or is
undersized.

Air conditioning is a funny thing.

My AC can run continuously if the outside temp is 72 and my interior set
point is 70 but the outset humidity is 65% and I want my house humidity
to be 40%. In that situation my interior temp might be 71 and the air
blowing out of the outside condensor unit is luke warm.

I'm pretty sure that the higher the temperature the air blowing out of
your outside condensor unit, the harder your AC is working. It also
seems that the lower the temp difference between outside and house air,
the cooler will be their air blowing out the condensor unit.

I'd say that half the time (from May through to end of September) I use
my AC to lower the humidity in my house vs bring the house air
temperature down. I think that a proper or useful HVAC control system
(ie wall thermostat) should give me the ability to set a set-point for
humidity control to turn on and off my AC in addition to the thermostat
to set set-point for temperature. I've never really looked, but I get
the sense that no off-the-shelf residential thermostat allows for that.

A variable-output furnace is more clear-cut in terms of judging size /
efficiency vs duty cycle I'd say.

So my take on your AC being sized correctly is to ask the question when
your house air temp is not at your desired temperature set-point AND the
air blowing out of your outside condensor unit is really really hot. In
that case I'd say yes, your AC is probably undersized for that
condition.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 3:01:26 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

My AC can run continuously if the outside temp is 72 and my interior set
point is 70 but the outset humidity is 65% and I want my house humidity
to be 40%. In that situation my interior temp might be 71 and the air
blowing out of the outside condensor unit is luke warm.
[...]
I'd say that half the time (from May through to end of September) I use
my AC to lower the humidity in my house vs bring the house air
temperature down. [...]

I don't understand. Are you saying your system has a humidity dial on
the wall thermostat in addition to a temperature dial?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 7:17 AM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 3:01:26 PM UTC-5, Home Guy wrote:

My AC can run continuously if the outside temp is 72 and my interior set
point is 70 but the outset humidity is 65% and I want my house humidity
to be 40%. In that situation my interior temp might be 71 and the air
blowing out of the outside condensor unit is luke warm.
[...]
I'd say that half the time (from May through to end of September) I use
my AC to lower the humidity in my house vs bring the house air
temperature down. [...]

I don't understand. Are you saying your system has a humidity dial on
the wall thermostat in addition to a temperature dial?

My system was installed 10 years ago. The compressor/condenser unit is
Amana. The Honeywell thermostat has a humidity setting that allows the
unit to run (over run) in order to satisfy the humidity setting. It
allows the inside temp to go 2 degrees lower than the set point, if
necessary, to satisfy the humidity setting. This had worked ok for me.
But, if I were in a different climate, it may have been even better. I
am in the western mountains of NC. The temp rarely gets above 85 or 86.
But the humidity is high May through September. So this year I
installed a whole house dehumidifier. I'm tired of buying the $300
units that only last 2 or 3 years. This one, Aprilaire, is made in
Wisconsin and parts are available from Wisconsin. It seems to work very
well, except that the furnace blower does run a lot more than before.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 7:21 AM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:
If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?

I used to keep the house at 72° F.Â*Â* Now I run a pair of dehumidifiers in my basement and am I'm comfortable at 76° F.

Re comfort, the most important step is to get the humidity down to the 25% level and then cool the air if needed.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 7:21:58 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?

Yes. Like Gfre said, it should be able to keep the house at a comfortable
temp on the hottest day that you could expect. NYC area for example, that;s
about 100F, so it should be able to keep the temp at say 76F when running
100% of the time. I'd want it sized a bit more than that, and typical
installers are going to make sure they err on the side of it having a bit
more capacity instead of less. The benefit to them is they won't have
customer complaining, it would require changing eqpt to fix. For the
customer there is benefit in that if the system has been off and the house
is hot, it can cool it down faster. So, oversizing it a bit isn't bad,
but if you oversize it a lot, then it won't run enough to even out temperatures
in the house, it puts more stress on the eqpt with more starts and stops, etc.

Another factor, you say the upstairs is the problem. I assume that means that
downstairs the temp is OK? If there are two units and the one for downstairs
isn't running, the temp there is higher, that will increase the load on the
upstairs. Another common problem is that with one system for a two story
house, it's common for installers to screw it up, eg not enough returns for
upstairs, which makes it impossible to cool it properly. Without two
systems, I think about a 3 deg temp diff is typical during the day, when
it's hot.

What's going on in the attic? Properly ventilated and lots of insulation?
IF that's not right, fixing it, adding insulation could be the best money
spent. There should be adequate exit and entry for air, eg ridge vent and
soffit vents. Make sure the soffit vents aren't blocked with insulation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 05:49:30 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

The biggest problem with oversizing a unit is it won't get the
humidity out and you end up with a clammy house.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/29/2019 05:21 AM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?

Reasonable is whatever is acceptable to you. You can turn your house
into a refrigerator if you want to go to the expense. Personally, I
don't have AC so if it's 95 outside it's close to 95 inside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 11:15:19 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 09/29/2019 05:21 AM, Davej wrote:
On Saturday, September 28, 2019 at 1:25:15 PM UTC-5, rbowman wrote:
On 09/28/2019 10:11 AM, Davej wrote:

If an HVAC system was "appropriately" sized, what maximum duty
cycle should be seen? [...]

Does it maintain the desired temperature on hot days? If it can't
it's undersized.

But what is a "reasonable" desired temperature? Is 20F less than
outdoors considered "reasonable?" So I should be able to maintain
75F indoors at 100% duty cycle if the outdoor temp is 95F?

Reasonable is whatever is acceptable to you. You can turn your house
into a refrigerator if you want to go to the expense. Personally, I
don't have AC so if it's 95 outside it's close to 95 inside.

That sounds like our bedroom. We have a 3/4 ton mini split in around
250 sq/ft that is in addition to the central air. My wife wants it 68
at night. It makes the stat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 7:49:36 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
[...]
Another factor, you say the upstairs is the problem. I assume
that means that downstairs the temp is OK? If there are two units
and the one for downstairs isn't running, the temp there is higher,
that will increase the load on the upstairs. Another common
problem is that with one system for a two story house, it's common
for installers to screw it up, eg not enough returns for upstairs,
which makes it impossible to cool it properly. Without two
systems, I think about a 3 deg temp diff is typical during the day,
when it's hot.

Well, I think that is part of the problem. The upstairs gets hotter
and so the upstairs AC runs far more than the downstairs AC, however
the downstairs AC is definitely a larger unit. The downstairs of the
house does have more square-footage but there is an open staircase
so I'm sure some warm air flows upstairs. This makes me wonder if
the upstairs AC should be the larger unit.

The upstairs AC unit also suffers from the disadvantage of the
ductwork being in the unconditioned crawlspace attic.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 5:10:48 PM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
[...]

I've seen exactly that problem here in new construction, large McMansions.
You'd think by now they could correctly size these, there are programs
they are supposed to use where you enter a lot of detailed info, like
type of construction, insulation, number/size of windows, which direction
they face, etc. But I think many of them, maybe most just wing it.

Having the AC in the attic is a disaster too. They use those flex ducts
that only have maybe 1.5' or so of insulation, they get hung with straps
or whatever that eventually crushes them. Would be a good idea to check
up there for any of that, for leaks around connections, etc. It's
possible the system isn't charged correctly too, you could have it checked.
It's possible they could run larger ducts or add returns etc, without
a lot of work or eqpt change. It's also a good idea to have a pan under
the AC so that if the condensate drain gets plugged for either the furnace
or AC the water will go in there and to have a float switch in there that
will cut off the eqpt if it fills with water. They have battery water alarms
for ~$10 that you could put in there too.

One quick rough check you can do on the AC is measure the temp delta between
the air coming in and going out. About 18F or so is normal, but it also
depends on the blower speed, humidity, etc. If you're seeing 10F,
then something is likely hosed.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/29/2019 5:10 PM, Davej wrote:

The upstairs AC unit also suffers from the disadvantage of the
ductwork being in the unconditioned crawlspace attic.

If not already insulated, wrap it. Consider adding more if it is
insulated already.

For a proper diagnosis, use a thermometer in the duct to measure air at
the evaporator and at the end of the duct. You can see how much loss
there is.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 29 Sep 2019 15:06:09 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

[...]

Attic installation is the norm here and you are right, flex duct sucks
but you can make it somewhat better if you blow in insulation around
them. It is also standard practice for good HVAC guys to "mastic" all
of the joints. (Sealed with a goo that gets firm but not brittle/hard)
They slather it on pretty well. The other thing is keep the runs
straight and not squeezed in any way. The best solution is to lay
1x12s down and run the ducts on them across the truss chords so you
don't have a roller coaster for the air to go over. Running with the
truss is OK if it is flat. Best is to build plenum boxes everywhere
the ducts make transitions or 90 degree turns. I knew a guy doing his
own that just used flex to sleeve round metal duct that he assembled
in the attic and a box at every turn. He said it allowed him to use a
smaller blower to get the same air flow and the payback was less than
one season.
The aux drain pan is code here.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, September 29, 2019 at 6:59:16 PM UTC-5, wrote:
[...]

No, the actual HVAC here is in a closet. I've seen the kind you are
talking about (a neighbor had one) where the whole unit is up in the
attic. That seems like a bad idea. But even with the AC in a closet
they still run the ductwork upwards into the attic crawlspace where
you end up with the same hot/cold problems. One problem I have is
just moving around up there in the attic. The insulation is deep
enough that I can't see where it is safe to step. I should probably
build some elevated 2x4 walkways or something. Then perhaps I could
build flimsy troughs around ducts and fill them with more of the
insulation. Need some cool weather first. Or I am also pondering
adding a bypass vent that would simply dump the AC output into the
largest upstairs room, without going through the attic ductwork.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 11:11:24 AM UTC-4, Davej wrote:
[...]

You could certainly add some output to a room or two if it's feasible.
I'd first carefully measure the temps in various areas. If they are
all about the same, then making one area significantly better will
just make the other areas worse. You could check around, get some
recommendations for good HVAC guys and get a couple over for evaluation,
starting with seeing if the existing system is operating correctly.
If it is and it's just insufficient capacity, the only real solution
is to put in a new system. Depending on how old and what the eff
rating of the existing one is, that might not be a bad idea. If it's
running a lot, then it's more important how eff it is. Switching out
the 25 year old AC here for 14 SEER, peak electric bills in summer went
from $300+. So if it's an older system, you could have a reasonable
payback, plus comfort. If it's just one room or two rooms that are
a problem, then either a window unit or mini-split could be an option.

to $150, maybe less.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 30, 2019 at 1:47:14 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

You could certainly add some output to a room or two if it's feasible.
I'd first carefully measure the temps in various areas. If they are
all about the same, then making one area significantly better will
just make the other areas worse. You could check around, get some
recommendations for good HVAC guys and get a couple over for evaluation,
starting with seeing if the existing system is operating correctly.

The heating/cooling systems I have seen usually have
dampers/flaps/valves or whatever you call them in the ducts where you
can adjust the air folw to different rooms to help ballance the air
flow.

Yes, good point, you can reduce or close the flow through some to get
more air to areas that need it more. But you can only do that to some
reasonable percentage before it's affecting overall performance
negatively. Which gets back to what I said, I'd measure the temp in
various areas. If they are all about the same, shifting it around
isn't going to help, but if there is a diff between some areas, then
you could do the adjusting. My guess from what we've heard is that
it's either undersized, not running correctly, eg charge is wrong,
or the duct work is inadequate. No one has mentioned filters, that
should be checked to make sure they are clean and not some overly
restrictive one. I suggested he see if the air going into the unit
and coming out is ~18F difference. That's in the typical range.
He could sample the air at the return intakes and some of the vents.