DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   electricity bill doubled (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/640274-electricity-bill-doubled.html)

Oumati Asami September 27th 19 02:06 AM

electricity bill doubled

My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance
malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to
know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running
non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?

I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size
fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small
oven, plus lights. That's all.

I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

% September 27th 19 02:09 AM

electricity bill doubled

On 2019-09-26 6:06 p.m., Oumati Asami wrote:
My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance
malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to
know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running
non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?

I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size
fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small
oven, plus lights. That's all.

I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

nights get longer lights on longer

danny burstein September 27th 19 02:25 AM

electricity bill doubled

In Oumati Asami writes:

My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

Step #1: compare the actual kw-hr usage readings rather than
the money figures.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] September 27th 19 02:34 AM

electricity bill doubled

On 9/26/2019 9:06 PM, Oumati Asami wrote:
My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance
malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to
know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running
non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?

I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size
fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small
oven, plus lights. That's all.

I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

Refrigerator may be stuck on defrost cycle

I'd think the water heater would be running hotter than usual if an
element was not turning off.

Pool pump may be on more than usual if it is on a timer that went bad.

You may want to buy a Kill A Watt meter to check the use of individual
appliances. About $20 from Amazon.

[email protected] September 27th 19 03:29 AM

electricity bill doubled

On Fri, 27 Sep 2019 07:36:30 +0630, Oumati Asami
wrote:

My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.
I can think of two things: 1. meter malfunctioning or 2. appliance
malfunctioning. Before I tackle the meter malfunctioning, I'd like to
know if appliance is at fault. I don't see any appliance running
non-stop. Could appliance somehow increase its electricity usage? How?
I have an electric water heater, one full-size and two half-size
fridges, electric cook top, ceiling fans, a swimming pool pump, a small
oven, plus lights. That's all.
I have GFCI. So, current leaking into ground is not a problem.

Where do you live ?
ie: where in this wide wide world ?
.... it might affect our kind and helpful answers ...
. . seriously ..
My electricity rates haven't changed much recently -
.. different in 1990's early 2000's
John T.

micky September 27th 19 03:52 AM

electricity bill doubled

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 27 Sep 2019 01:25:54 +0000 (UTC), danny
burstein wrote:

In Oumati Asami writes:

My electricity bill has been climbing up in recent months, up by 20%, to
40% and now doubled. There have been no appliance change and I didn't
turn on A/C. So, it's quite puzzling as to why the electricity bill has
doubled.

Step #1: compare the actual kw-hr usage readings rather than
the money figures.

Yes.

Also, hot water dripping or running somewhere.