Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT credit card holds by rentacar companies

OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

One indication of this woudl be, I suppose, if you are paying interest
on it.

b) Why does it take so long? They can tell as soon as you bring it back
what most of the damage is, and after putting it on a lift (do they do
that?) what damage there is to the undercarriage. They know as well as
any body shop what it costs to fix this stuff or are they expecting to
find more damage during the repair?

That only applies if there is damage. Do they have some standard rule,
45, 60 days whether there is damage or not?

c) In some places bills for illegal parking take iiuc more than 90 days
to come in, because whoever originates those bills waits until the
driver sends in the money. When he doesn't, they send a bill to the
owner which is the car rental company. I suppose illegal parking bills
could be pretty high. Do they release the hold before the 90 days are
up, and then charge the same credit card later anyhow? I suppose this
varies but any known examples would help.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 17 Sep 2019 16:38:25 -0400, micky
wrote:

[...]

If you actually want - real answers - I'd suggest that you ask
your Credit Card company ...
.. rather than a home repair newsgroup !
... but - if you are just trying to start - yet another -
meaningless off-topic discussion ... congrats to you !
- for my Irish vacation, of ~ 3 years ago - the car rental hold
was removed within 30 days. It was a low-end Skoda.
Perhaps a luxury Mercedes would be different ..
... I trust that this invaluable tidbit proves helpful ..
... in that our credit cards are different ; our countries are
different ; our age and driving history is different ; our rental
companies are different ; etc etc ..
... always glad to help, Micky.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/17/2019 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

They do not have the money until the actual charge is made. It just
assures them they can get it when needed.

Don't really know the rest you asked.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 17 Sep 2019 21:17:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 9/17/2019 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

They do not have the money until the actual charge is made. It just
assures them they can get it when needed.

Don't really know the rest you asked.

The first part was the most important. Thanks, and thanks hub.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/17/2019 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

They do not have the money until the actual charge is made. It just
assures them they can get it when needed.

Don't really know the rest you asked.

The first part was the most important. Thanks, and thanks hub.

Didn't we go through all this a couple years back with Micky?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/17/2019 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

They do not have the money until the actual charge is made. It just
assures them they can get it when needed.

Don't really know the rest you asked.

The first part was the most important. Thanks, and thanks hub.

Didn't we go through all this a couple years back with Micky?

Maybe b and c but I don't think section a was asked before. Could be,
however. Not sure. There was a recent post in another forum, someone
claiming they must have been using his money or why wouldn't they have
ended the hold. Before I replied, I wanted another opinion, and Ed
agreed with what I was thinking.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 9/17/2019 4:38 PM, micky wrote:
OT When a merchant, such as a rentacar company, puts a hold on one's
money and doesn't end the hold for a month or more,

a) Does the merchant actually have the money, or is it only reserved for
him at your credit card company?

They do not have the money until the actual charge is made. It just
assures them they can get it when needed.

Don't really know the rest you asked.

The first part was the most important. Thanks, and thanks hub.

Didn't we go through all this a couple years back with Micky?

Maybe b and c but I don't think section a was asked before. Could be,
however. Not sure. There was a recent post in another forum, someone
claiming they must have been using his money or why wouldn't they have
ended the hold. Before I replied, I wanted another opinion, and Ed
agreed with what I was thinking.

I remember you asking part A, for sure
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I guess I forget a lot lately. Something happened at the supermarket
yesterday... I started to put something in the cart and didn't remember
for 20 hours that I got interrupted in the middle.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/19/19 3:58 AM, micky wrote:
I guess I forget a lot lately. Something happened at the supermarket
yesterday... I started to put something in the cart and didn't remember
for 20 hours that I got interrupted in the middle.

That's like totally OK if you're a democrat.

However, the Concocted News Network and other MSM hold Republicans to a much higher standard.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, September 19, 2019 at 6:21:14 AM UTC-4, taxpayer wrote:
On 9/19/19 3:58 AM, micky wrote:
I guess I forget a lot lately. Something happened at the supermarket
yesterday... I started to put something in the cart and didn't remember
for 20 hours that I got interrupted in the middle.

That's like totally OK if you're a democrat.

However, the Concocted News Network and other MSM hold Republicans to a much higher standard.

Now that's truly laughable. Trump lies and lies and lies and the Republicans
mostly swear to it all. The best recent example was Trump getting it wrong,
issuing a tweet where he said that FL,GA, SC and Alabama were now going
to get hit much harder than expected. That was wrong, all wrong. He issued
that tweet on Sunday. By that time the forecasts had Dorian moving up
the coast, offshore. Alabama was not even in the path at all, nowhere
near it. FL had also gone from a direct hit, Dorian making land there
and going across the state, to it staying offshore. The National Weather
Service immediately issued a statement saying Alabama was not in the path.

What did Trump do? Did he do the right thing, issue a statement saying
he made a mistake and AL is not in the forecast path? Did he at least
shut up? No, He immediately turned a stupid mistake, one caused by
his sick need to constantly tweet like a silly child and his own
stupidity into a lie. He claimed he was right and the weather services
and media were wrong. And so it escalated, concluding with the Sec of
the Interior ordering NOAA to force NWS to issue a statement supporting
Trump or they would be fired. There is your Trump standard. He's turned
the NWS into liars for him too. That should shock all Americans, but
it doesn't even register with the trumptards. That's why we call you
trumptards.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I guess I forget a lot lately. Something happened at the supermarket
yesterday... I started to put something in the cart and didn't remember
for 20 hours that I got interrupted in the middle.

That's like totally OK if you're a democrat.
However, the Concocted News Network and other MSM
hold Republicans to a much higher standard.

..
Now that's truly laughable. Trump lies and lies and lies

.. it's not about lying, this time - it's about forgetting ..
... like someone who regularly forgets that he is married ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

.
Now that's truly laughable. Trump lies and lies and lies

.. it's not about lying, this time - it's about forgetting ..
.. like someone who regularly forgets that he is married ..
John T.

Oh yes it is when this post was made;

"However, the Concocted News Network and other MSM hold Republicans to a much higher standard. "

There are orders of magnitude more concocted lies and BS coming from
Trump than from any of the mainstream media. Is most of the mainstream
media biased to the left? Sure, but that isn't the same as openly lying,
eg Trump and Dorian.