DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Loose mortar, stones (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/639876-loose-mortar-stones.html)

Tony[_43_] September 15th 19 04:14 AM

Loose mortar, stones

As shown in pic, I have a hole in my stone foundation and winter isn't too far
away. Can someone advise the best way to fix? And what kind of stone and/or
mortar,etc to use? Please be as specific as possible as I'm very much a novice
in this kind of repair. Much appreciated!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/is

% September 15th 19 04:16 AM

Loose mortar, stones

On 2019-09-14 8:14 p.m., Tony wrote:
As shown in pic, I have a hole in my stone foundation and winter isn't
too far
away. Can someone advise the best way to fix? And what kind of stone and/or
mortar,etc to use? Please be as specific as possible as I'm very much a
novice
in this kind of repair. Much appreciated!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/is

i could live in there

trader_4 September 15th 19 05:39 AM

Loose mortar, stones

On Saturday, September 14, 2019 at 11:14:05 PM UTC-4, Tony wrote:
As shown in pic, I have a hole in my stone foundation and winter isn't too far
away. Can someone advise the best way to fix? And what kind of stone and/or
mortar,etc to use? Please be as specific as possible as I'm very much a novice
in this kind of repair. Much appreciated!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/is

Find some stones that are similar to the ones already used. Clean/hose out any dirt. You may need to put some backing in there, eg some Styrofoam to give it a back so the mortar won't fall out on the backside. Get some quickrete concrete mix, add water, get it to a thick, fairly stiff consistency, put some in there, work it well into the existing surface, put the stones in, continue to fill it with more concrete. Probably have to do it in two or three steps, let it cure for a day, not all at once.

Clare Snyder September 15th 19 11:01 PM

Loose mortar, stones

On 2019-09-14 8:14 p.m., Tony wrote:
As shown in pic, I have a hole in my stone foundation and winter isn't
too far
away. Can someone advise the best way to fix? And what kind of stone and/or
mortar,etc to use? Please be as specific as possible as I'm very much a
novice
in this kind of repair. Much appreciated!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/is

i could live in there

Stones cut to fit, and installed with hydraulic cement would be
easiest - although Mortar is generally used for stonework. Hydraulic
cement expands as it sets - making it easier to get a tight repair.

All I can say is "lots of luck"

[email protected] September 16th 19 01:15 AM

Loose mortar, stones

On 2019-09-14 8:14 p.m., Tony wrote:
As shown in pic, I have a hole in my stone foundation and winter isn't
too far
away. Can someone advise the best way to fix? And what kind of stone and/or
mortar,etc to use? Please be as specific as possible as I'm very much a
novice
in this kind of repair. Much appreciated!
https://www.homeownershub.com/img/is

i could live in there

Stones cut to fit, and installed with hydraulic cement would be
easiest - although Mortar is generally used for stonework. Hydraulic
cement expands as it sets - making it easier to get a tight repair.
All I can say is "lots of luck"

. . . foundation of your pigeon coop ?
.. your garden shed ?
... or your 14th century castle ?