Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Ohio mom won't be prosecuted after shooting daughter who was tryingto surprise her

An Ohio prosecutor reportedly wont charge a mother who accidentally
shot her daughter when the younger woman tried to surprise her mom with
an early trip home from college.

Hannah Jones, 18, of Girard, told her Facebook followers last week that
her mother Renee Jones mistook her for an intruder and shot her in the
arm with a handgun.

€œAs I ran through the door she was in fear for her life and shot me,€
Jones said, according to the New York Post.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-mom-...er-prosecution

That's the trouble with living in fear and owning a handgun. Too easy to
make a knee jerk deadly mistake.

Most housebreakers just want to rob you, not murder you.
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2019 18:15, Bod wrote:
An Ohio prosecutor reportedly wont charge a mother who accidentally
shot her daughter when the younger woman tried to surprise her mom with
an early trip home from college.

Hannah Jones, 18, of Girard, told her Facebook followers last week that
her mother Renee Jones mistook her for an intruder and shot her in the
arm with a handgun.

€œAs I ran through the door she was in fear for her life and shot me,€
Jones said, according to the New York Post.

https://www.foxnews.com/us/ohio-mom-...er-prosecution

That's the trouble with living in fear and owning a handgun. Too easy to
make a knee jerk deadly mistake.

Most housebreakers just want to rob you, not murder you.

Also:

8 Children Are Accidentally Shot Every Day With Unsecured Firearms In
The Home

Somewhere in the U.S. today, a child will find a loaded gun in a home.
They wont have to look hard. It will be unlocked and stored in an
easily accessible place. The child will pick up the firearm, and soon
enough, it will go off exactly like its supposed to. The bullet will
strike a friend, or a sibling, or the child who found the gun in the
first place. Someone will be injured or killed. If its an average day
in America, this scene will play out seven more times somewhere. It will
repeat itself tomorrow.

https://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/ent...b0b15abaa6008b

--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Monday, September 9, 2019 at 1:40:29 PM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
On 09/09/2019 18:15, Bod wrote:
[...]

Yeah, but if the King of England tries to mount an insurrection to try to
take America back, the citizens will be ready to stop him.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2019 18:15, Bod wrote:
[...]

That is the argument put forth by Mr. T and many of the gun rights folks.
They insist that citizens need to be armed for just such an event or if
the US govt went totally rogue and had to be overthrown by the people.

I haven't seen anything like that happen, not since the Civil War
and I'm not sure private guns helped much in that debacle.
But we do have the daily carnage like the above, from these homes full
of guns that are supposed to make the home safer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2019 18:15, Bod wrote:
[...]

I find it sad that all political parties are not putting their heads

together to at least try to do things that could possibly reduce the
carnage and hearbreak that guns cause in the
US on a daily basis.
The NRA and religions seems to be the thorns in the side of any progress
on that issue.

Yes I know that we have a knife problem, but at least we are *trying* to
find solutions.
--
Bod
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 9 Sep 2019 17:50:45 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

I agree with that. Whatever Trump is for the Democrats are against and
anything the Democrats are for the Republicans are against.

Let me partially explain that. When Stumpie said we were withdrawing
from Afghanistan... almost everyone would be happy if someone with good
judgment said that, but based on the stupid things he says and does, the
high ratio of stupid to sensible, everyone who has noticed this has
doubts. Then it turns out he's negotiating with the Taliban and afaict,
the Af. government is not involved.

So there's supposed to be a promise that the Tal will negotiate in good
faith with the govt. after we leave, but under any circumstances, a
statement like that would be unreliable.

Then I hear on the news that there will actually not be any withdrawal
of troops, or maybe just not the final 2/3rd until an agreement with
Afghan govt. is reached, even though I hadn't heard any of this before.
Now it's not a question of bad judgment but of the admin's history of
lying. This is the kind of thing they might lie about.

A few days later and the secret meeting iscancelled, because of one
American death. Is that a good reason, considering we had, Stumpie
says, killed 100 Taliban in the last 10 days. Are they really going to
refrain from killing while they are being killed? (Plus the American
was just one of 10, so the target seemes to have been the 9 Afghanis.

And the question arises, was Stumpie just having a personal snit, like
he does so often. OR is there another reason altgether, and he's lying,
as he does all the time, OR something else?

So neither position, peace agreement or no agreement fills anyone with
confidence.

Variations of this apply to some of the other issues. Democrats and
others don't trust him. They don't trust Mitch McConnell, or any of
those Republicans who have left behind their previous Republican values
just because Stumpie doesn't support those values.

Much of what goes on is based on trust, citizens for the goverment and
government workers for the heads of their department, and everyone for
the president. Even if they disagree with his general outlook.

Most of the time most people think some mature judgment goes into these
decisions and that the executive can be counted on most of the time to
do pretty much what it says it will.

Except like you say ,spend more money on something and get deeper in
debt.

I never did see why we would borrow money and then give it away to other
nations. Let them borrow the money or do without.

Foreign aid is less than 1% of the budget, and believe you me, they
don't do it because they're charitable. While I hate to say it
publicly, and I'd like the rest of the world to think its given because
we're "nice" there is always an ulterior pro-USA motive.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , bob.effin@tax-the-
workers.com says...

If I want insurance coverage, I have to work and pay for it. Welfare people qualify for "free" healthcare provided by taxpayers.

and has much poorer
results. But the losers are poor, so they don't matter, right?

The only losers are the taxpayers. They surrender part of their earnings to the IRS and get nothing in return.

Do other countries do like the US ? We will have someone in prison with
the death penelty and if they get ill, we will spend thousands on them
to keep them alive.

The average working man does without many things just to keep those
alive .

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 8:34:36 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article , bob.effin@tax-the-
workers.com says...

If I want insurance coverage, I have to work and pay for it. Welfare people qualify for "free" healthcare provided by taxpayers.

and has much poorer
results. But the losers are poor, so they don't matter, right?

The only losers are the taxpayers. They surrender part of their earnings to the IRS and get nothing in return.

Do other countries do like the US ? We will have someone in prison with
the death penelty and if they get ill, we will spend thousands on them
to keep them alive.

Yes, of course they do. We call those the civilized countries.

The average working man does without many things just to keep those
alive .

Many things? The *total* cost of operating all the prisons in the US is
about $80 bil. Only about 10% of that is for medical care. That works
out to ~$25 per person in the population, which doesn't sound like very much.
What would you do? A prisoner is serving
5 years on a drug charge. They have diabetes or an appendicitis. What
would you do, just watch them die? Is that the new Trump Amerika?
Why do you want the US to be like Somalia, instead of the EU?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

Many things? The *total* cost of operating all the prisons in the US is
about $80 bil. Only about 10% of that is for medical care. That works
out to ~$25 per person in the population, which doesn't sound like very much.
What would you do? A prisoner is serving
5 years on a drug charge. They have diabetes or an appendicitis. What
would you do, just watch them die? Is that the new Trump Amerika?
Why do you want the US to be like Somalia, instead of the EU?

It costs about $ 20,000 to $ 30,000 per year for each prisoner.

I would find some way to put them to work. Maybe growing their own
food, trainging them for something productive. My dad told me that back
in the 30's and 40's they were building roads. Each night they would
put them in a big tent and chain them up so they could not get away.

I remember that sheriff putting some in the tents and said that if it
was good enough for our military over seas, it was good enough for
criminals.

I have a few hundred feet of rope that I would be willing to donate
instead of that $ 25. Also have a few trees in the yard that could be
used.

It is reasonable to give the ones that have a sentence where they are
suppose to get out at a certain time. Just not the ones that have the
death penelty. Those should be executed in less than a month after
being convicted.
Sure we may get a few that are not guilty,but most of those are already
in for 10 to 30 years before new evidence is found.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, September 11, 2019 at 11:45:01 AM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Many things? The *total* cost of operating all the prisons in the US is
about $80 bil. Only about 10% of that is for medical care. That works
out to ~$25 per person in the population, which doesn't sound like very much.
What would you do? A prisoner is serving
5 years on a drug charge. They have diabetes or an appendicitis. What
would you do, just watch them die? Is that the new Trump Amerika?
Why do you want the US to be like Somalia, instead of the EU?

It costs about $ 20,000 to $ 30,000 per year for each prisoner.

For what? From what I've seen the TOTAL cost to run the prison
systems is $20K to $50K per prisoner. Healthcare is about 10% of that
total.

I would find some way to put them to work. Maybe growing their own
food, trainging them for something productive. My dad told me that back
in the 30's and 40's they were building roads. Each night they would
put them in a big tent and chain them up so they could not get away.

They still do that today, in many cases. Around here occasionally we
see guys in orange suits picking up litter. Many prisons have some kind
of shops producing products, eg license plates or furniture.

I remember that sheriff putting some in the tents and said that if it
was good enough for our military over seas, it was good enough for
criminals.

I have a few hundred feet of rope that I would be willing to donate
instead of that $ 25. Also have a few trees in the yard that could be
used.

I see, always with the crazy draconian nonsense.

It is reasonable to give the ones that have a sentence where they are
suppose to get out at a certain time. Just not the ones that have the
death penelty. Those should be executed in less than a month after
being convicted.

Have you not seen all the lifers or people on death row that have been
freed based on new DNA that shows they didn't do it? Or you just don't
care about executing innocent people? Executions a month after conviction
would make us like some corrupt third world country.

Sure we may get a few that are not guilty,but most of those are already
in for 10 to 30 years before new evidence is found.

I guess that answers the questions.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/11/2019 09:44 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I would find some way to put them to work. Maybe growing their own
food, trainging them for something productive. My dad told me that back
in the 30's and 40's they were building roads. Each night they would
put them in a big tent and chain them up so they could not get away.

I remember seeing gangs working on the roads in Alabama in the '50s. Fob
James brought the chain gangs back but they only lasted a year or so
before the courts shut them down. James had the idea that prison should
suck so bad that if you ever got out you'd never want to go back.

Sheriff Joe had better luck:

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...na-desert.html