Posted to alt.home.repair

Default OT Big increase in the number of drugstores

Clare Snyder writes:

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 07:50:53 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...
...who ought to be smart enough to shop at the big boxes most of the
time rather than pay drug store chains' jacked up prices...

My insurance co-pay is the same wherever I get a prescription filled.

Same with my insurance.

However some is not on the formulary and not covered by the insurance.
Then it is time to shop around and look into the Good Rx web site.
Sometimes the doctor can put in a special request to the insurance
company and get the price lowered somewhat.

My insurance has an arrangement with a particular pharmacy that saves
me considerably on the "co-pay" if I use that pharmacy - it is a
nation-wide "online" pharmacy.

My insurance has a mail order facility.
I take 2 medications to lower cholesterol.
Both free. Plus I get 90 days worth instead of 30 at a time.
The mail order stuff if available is worth looking into.

--
Dan Espen
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:23:40 -0400,
wrote:

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 13:11:51 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 9/9/2019 11:41 AM, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 9 Sep 2019 03:27:50 -0700 (PDT), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Sunday, September 8, 2019 at 4:02:20 PM UTC-4, Wade Gattett wrote:
On 9/7/19 8:58 PM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 9/7/19 7:30 PM, micky wrote:
OT Big increase in the number of drugstores

Is it just Baltimore or is it the whole country, or something in between
that, 10 or 20 years ago, had a big increase in the number of
drugstores?

All of a sudden they were building them everywhere.** Tearing down other
stores to build branches of national chains.

Did this happen where you are?

How many years ago?

Why?* Does anyone know why?

It's not likely there were suddently so many more people getting medical
care.

**** Baby boomers.

...who ought to be smart enough to shop at the big boxes most of the
time rather than pay drug store chains' jacked up prices...

My insurance co-pay is the same wherever I get a prescription filled.

Cindy Hamilton

There was a private drugstore here that advertised it would mark down
the price of a presecription by the amount of the co-pay so that one
didnt' have to pay even the co-pay.

Isn't that illegal or a violation of insurance rules, either for the
pharmacist, the insured, or both?

The co-pay is meant to give a little discouragement from filling
unnecessary prescriptions (or going to the doctor for no good reason).
it's soemthing the insurance company wants you to have to pay, isn't it?

So I figured it was required too.

I actually knew the owner a little, he used to be a neighbor, but I
didn't have the nerve to call him just to ask him this.

The Publix stores have a list of free medications and a list of $7.50
for 90 days. No insurance needed, just a prescription.

Yup that is a little secret you need to ask for. They will happily
fill those prescriptions with your insurance, pocketing that insurance
money plus your co pay. There are also some drugs they sell cheaper
than the co pay but, again, you need to ask.

Well, it's looking like it wasn't illegal or improper. BTW his
drugstore was one of those family stores, from his father if not his
grandfather, that eventually closed, like what started this thread.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:29:32 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

micky writes:

In alt.home.repair, on Mon, 09 Sep 2019 12:33:23 -0400, Dan Espen
wrote:

micky writes:

I had a back pain, saw an orthopedist, he probably mentioned ibuprofin
or some thing.

I had back pain, saw an orthopedist, he took x-rays, told me
I had some arthritis. That was more than 20 years ago.

Soon after I put in a patio and deck, started running, swimming,
and now visit the gym regularly.

No pain since the patio and deck. A few months from turning 74.

There is a miracle cure, it's called hard work.

Oh, yeah, don't overeat. If you go to a restaurant and finish
the meal, you are overeating.

You seem to be saying that it was more the exercise than the weight??

My weight has always been reasonable. My lifetime high was 187, now I'm
170. To give that context, I'm 5'8".

My comment about weight was directed to the average fatty I see walking around.
Seems to me, if you exercise more but still weigh in at 250, you're
likely to have pain.

In my case I attribute the aches and pains going away to being more active.

And that even if your weight had been right, without the exercise, you
think you'd still have the back pain??

My weight wasn't too bad, I just got lazy.
I would walk, but wouldn't run because my feet hurt.
Funny, I started running and my feet stopped hurting.

Unrelated to weight -- in fact it was 45 years ago and my weight was
fine -- but one day when traveling around the Netherlands, camping at
the outdoor ice-skating rinks, I woke up in the morning and one foot
hurt so bad I couldn't walk. I don't know why. I killed time in the
tent as much as I could but it was my last full day and I didn't want to
waste it. By 11, I took my towel and ripped out part of it to cushion
my foot (though there wasn't much room in the shoe) and then I limped
out for the day, while it hurt.

I don't know when it stopped hurting but the next morning everything was
fine. I thought it would be worse.

On anoher occasion when I was in my 40's, I skidded on the ice and even
with the seatbelt, my body slid under it and my knee broke the plastic
lower dashboard. Next morning, I woke up and that knee wouldn't bend
and wouldn't straighten. I'd think "Straighten" but nothing would
happen. I could use my hands to straighen it so I could go to the
bathroom and then I went back to bed and used my hands to bend it to the
usual bed position. I poked at it everywhere and nowhere did it hurt
at all but it wouldn't work. I think I stayed home that day and the
next day everthing was fine.

My gym has a scale that measures body fat, in 8 months I've gone from
21% to 17%.

Sorry to be preaching, it's an affliction that most exercisers develop.

You're not preaching. I asked.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 9/9/2019 5:28 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

wrote:

micky writes:

I had a back pain, saw an orthopedist, he probably mentioned ibuprofin
or some thing.

I had back pain, saw an orthopedist, he took x-rays, told me
I had some arthritis. That was more than 20 years ago.

Soon after I put in a patio and deck, started running, swimming,
and now visit the gym regularly.

No pain since the patio and deck. A few months from turning 74.

There is a miracle cure, it's called hard work.

Oh, yeah, don't overeat. If you go to a restaurant and finish
the meal, you are overeating.

You seem to be saying that it was more the exercise than the weight??

And that even if your weight had been right, without the exercise, you
think you'd still have the back pain??

Absolutely. I have a few extra pounds on me, but it is keeping
moving that keeps the back working.

I have some arthritis, fairly common as we get older. Due to changes in
the household, I'm not as active as I was just weeks ago and I can feel
it when I get up in the morning. We have a well equipped gym for use by
residents in the community so I headed over this morning. It really
felt good to do a little working out.

There is a bench for leg curls that I wanted to try and I watch another
guy use it. Damn, not easy the way he had it set up. I moved the pin
to set the weight between "sissy" and "girly man" and it worked well.
I'll work my way up on that. Damn, I could lift more 30 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 09 Sep 2019 19:34:35 -0400, wrote:

wrote:

In article ,
says...
...who ought to be smart enough to shop at the big boxes most of the
time rather than pay drug store chains' jacked up prices...

My insurance co-pay is the same wherever I get a prescription filled.

Same with my insurance.

However some is not on the formulary and not covered by the insurance.
Then it is time to shop around and look into the Good Rx web site.
Sometimes the doctor can put in a special request to the insurance
company and get the price lowered somewhat.

---
My insurance has an arrangement with a particular pharmacy that saves
me considerably on the "co-pay" if I use that pharmacy - it is a
nation-wide "online" pharmacy.

Down here they are warning that these mail order drugs may be sitting
days in un air conditioned trucks or warehouses and in your mail box
baking in the sun all day. A lot of drugs get degraded from that.

I get an emailwhen it is shipped and I have it next day. Stuff that
needs to stay cool (like my wife's insulin" comes in an ice-pack. Last
delivery took 2 days, and the cold packs were still solid. It is 100km
away.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

micky writes:

[...]

I think anyone over 45 can say the same!!! That said,I can still do
most of what I could do at 40 - but man, do I PAY for it for a few
days!!!!!
My shoulders are actually better than they were 30 years ago - but my
lower back is worse. My hands are the worst - with arthritis in my
fingers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2019 11:03 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

IIRC it is five years, maybe six now, of schooling to become a
pharmacist but they do make a good wage.

Yeah, like the doctors they have a good trade union A compounding
pharmacist is one thing, standing behind the counter transferring pills
from big bottles to little bottles is something else.

I'm not saying there isn't a lot of background information in the
materia medica but how much really gets used day to day. It's probably
right up there with my mostly forgotten knowledge of differential
equations.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 09/09/2019 04:07 PM, wrote:
The exceptions may have been down in the ghetto where chains feared to
tread.

The farmacia be on the corner down there, ese.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 9 Sep 2019 20:08:43 -0600, rbowman wrote:

On 09/09/2019 04:07 PM, wrote:
The exceptions may have been down in the ghetto where chains feared to
tread.

The farmacia be on the corner down there, ese.

In DC it was more like Yo Bro, where da drug sto be at?.