Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Curved hallways to thwart shooters and hiding spots: Sad reality for American schools (Australian news report)

In article ,
says...

Clearly not the intent, when those that wrote it had just overthrown
a standing army of a tyrannical govt and when they had seen the tyranny
imposed by other govts throughout history. They weren't stupid and
realized it could happen here. Which is why the Second Amendment was
included, just like the other protections to keep us free. Funny how
the libs want to twist the Constitution to any extreme to protect the
rights of some accused criminal when there is overwhelming evidence
that they committed the crime, but want to **** all over the Second
Amendment, which applies to law abiding citizens.

It is bad that years ago the court system ruled that just because the
cop did not read someone of their rights they had to be let go. So the
cops had to carry cards around withthe Manradium rights on it to read
to the crooks.

For whatever reason , the 2 nd has not really been pushed or the libs
gotten on the liberal side of that one.

I am thinking that at the time the Constitution was written there was
not going to be much of a standing army. Most men knew how to shoot a
gun so not too much training would have been needed at the time. Now
with all the technologicy there has to be a large military. One does
not just give a week of training to fly the airplanes or man the larg
ships.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

In article ,
says...

It does require you to get a premit from the sheriff's office to buy a
handgun. That permit also eliminiates the need for a a back gound check
or waiting period for a rifle or shotgun.

It would not eliminate the need for the fed background check for the
purchase of a long gun, if it's purchased at an FFL.

It does in NC. Just walk in the store show the permit to buy a hand gun
and that stands for the Federal backgound check. YOu fill out all the
forms in the store and walk out with the long gun and keep your permit.
If buying a handgun you leave the purchase permit with the store.

If you have a concealed carry
permit you do not have to have a permit to buy a gun. Just walk in a
store show that permit and drivers license and fill out the required
forms. Then walk out with the gun.

And then there are the states like FL, where without any permit at all,
you can just walk in and
show just a driver's license and walk out with the gun, as long as you
pass the minimal and obviously inadequate fed check.

How's the hurricane down there? You inland or near the coast?

I am in about the middle of the NC. Real nice weather here for this
time of year. We did have some wind Thursday afternoon and night,but not
too bad. No trees down or power out near me. No rain. Friend about an
hours drive from here closer to the coast said he had about 1/4 of an
inch of rain in his rain guage.

---

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, September 6, 2019 at 2:00:36 PM UTC-4, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

It does in NC. Just walk in the store show the permit to buy a hand gun
and that stands for the Federal backgound check.

I see, I guess that makes sense. How long is the permit to buy a pistol
good for? I think here it's good for 6 months, but for sure it's no
more than a year.

I believe it is for as long as the issuing sheriff is in office. Here
he is up for reelection every 4 or 5 years I think. So it could be as
little as a week (unlikely) to 20 or more years unless things have
changed from a number of years ago. I had some, but don't need them now
as I have a concealed carry permit.

The conceled carry permits have to be renewed every 5 years. However the
sheriff can recall it any time he wants to if there is a reason. NC is
a must issue state meaning that the sheriff has to issue a permit to
anyone just because they want one unless they fail to meet the 'criminal
and mental' requirements. You are finger printed, sign forms for mental
places to release your paperwork if you have ever been in one, and of
course a background check. You do not need to show a 'need' for one.

Here in the People's Republic of NJ, not only do you have to show a need
for a carry permit, they will then tell you that you really don't need
it and deny it anyway. It also takes a judge to OK it. You could have
a business that deals in cash, you have to take it to the bank, etc
and if you apply, you will get turned down and they will tell you that
the solution is to hire an armored car service. So, for all practical
purposes, unless you're juiced up, you can forget about a carry permit.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 6 Sep 2019 03:36:12 -0700 (PDT), Cindy
Hamilton wrote:

On Thursday, September 5, 2019 at 12:33:43 PM UTC-4, Bod wrote:
Life in America has become so dangerous that people have resorted to
extreme measures to reclaim basic safety we take for granted.

Curved hallways to reduce a gunman’s line of vision, hiding spots that
can fit up to 30 students and bulletproof windows are sadly becoming the
norm in American schools.

With mass shootings on the rise in the US and becoming deadlier — there
have been 287 in 2019, according to the Gun Violence Archive — schools
are being renovated to add built-in security features, with the hope of
protecting students in the event of an active shooter situation.

https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...672043a02fb4e5
--
Bod

It occurs to me that schools provide amenities so that they can "sell"
themselves. Some areas allow students to attend not the closest school,
but one that their parents prefer for one reason or another. A school
saying, "We have all the latest features to ensure the safety of your
child during a mass shooting" might enable them to lure a better class
of parent, even if the likelihood of a shooting at any particular school
is quite small.

Why would they want a better class of parent? Although districts can
build new schools through bond funding, operating expenses can still
be quite tight. Better parents can mobilize to ensure that operating
expenses are covered, even if they have to pay out of their own pockets.

Cindy Hamilton

I don't disagree, except for your use of "better". You mean parents
with more money.

Since I'm posting and we're being cynical, I'll say that if any are
building new schools with curved halls, it's more so they won't be
liable in a lawsuit if anyone gets shot, and less because there is some
substantial chance of anyone getting shot. Or maybe to lower their
insurance premium.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

A lot of what they are doing is pretty cheap in new construction.
Little things like those barriers in the hall are just a little extra
block for the mason but it makes that hall a lot more daunting for a
shooter. If every 20 or 30 feet there is a barrier on both sides of
the hall that might be hiding a cop with a gun or a ****ed off gym
teacher with a baseball bat it gives them a lot more to worry about
and takes a lot of their advantage away. Police drills demonstrate a
guy with a knife, 21 feet away is going to stab you before you can
shoot him. (The Tuller Drill) This stuff would stop pretty quickly if
the pictures of the shooters show them in a bloody heap on the floor
before they get to shoot many people.
That is the picture the media should publish. We see mug shots of the
ones who give up, why not closeups of the ones who shoot themselves or
get shot from the most gruesome angles possible. It wouldn't break my
heart if all of them were shot "trying to escape" or something.
Perhaps just a wound that puts them in a wheelchair and pooping in a
bag for the rest of their miserable life in prison.
Maybe the reality of that might make it seem a little less glamorous.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

That's against a cop with a holstered pistol, which is a bit different than
a crazy murderer with a semi-auto rifle, who is ready to fire at will.

This stuff would stop pretty quickly if
the pictures of the shooters show them in a bloody heap on the floor
before they get to shoot many people.

I think that's unlikely, because these whackos are not thinking logically.
If they were they would not be committing mass murder to begin with.
It's like the death penalty no stopping murder.

That is the picture the media should publish. We see mug shots of the
ones who give up, why not closeups of the ones who shoot themselves or
get shot from the most gruesome angles possible. It wouldn't break my
heart if all of them were shot "trying to escape" or something.
Perhaps just a wound that puts them in a wheelchair and pooping in a
bag for the rest of their miserable life in prison.
Maybe the reality of that might make it seem a little less glamorous.

I have no problem with trying it, but again they are deranged and I doubt
any of that enters into their mind.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Not really, They are talking about reaction time from a "ready"
position. A draw and fire for the average cop takes a lot longer than
the second or so we are talking about

[...]

These guys only see people in orange jump suits. or stories about a
quick suicide. I have never seen one laying in a bloody heap with a
giant hole in their head. This is not unprecedented. We used to have
to watch bloody car crash movies in school.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

Not really,

Yes, really. The Tueller drill is with a holstered pistol. And clearly
that matters when you're talking about someone with a knife, a short
distance away, closing that distance before you can shoot them.
It also applies to your active shooter scenario, where the guy doesn't have
his AK-47 holstered. A perp walking down the hallway, AK-47 out and
pointing, is going to have an advantage over someone with a pistol
that's holstered. Meaning it seems highly unlikely someone cowering
behind one of those abutments is going to be able to rush him and
disarm him. Also, those cowering in a school, typically wou;dn't have
knives or baseball bats. I have no problem with building abutments,
but from a practical standpoint, I doubt abutments would do much.
They could also be used by the shooter.

[...]

like I said, I have no problem with trying it. I'll do whatever is logical,
that could help, from a reasonable permit process with actual background
investigation before gun purchases to showing the bad guys shot up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Hamilton wrote:

[...]

It is actually reaction time and if you are not waiting for the
attack, a person would be lucky to acquire a target from an unknown
direction aim and fire in a second or even a second and a half. These
are kids as a general rule, not trained officers on a range with a
target in a particular direction, knowing it is coming. That is why I
said barriers on both sides of the hall. The shooter has a 50:50
chance of being faced in the wrong direction.