Posted to alt.home.repair

Default An idea I had concerning Student Loans

On 08/27/2019 07:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Before you implement that, lets answer another question. Why is the
cost of education so high? The same people that complain about
corporate profits never ask about tuition costs or salaries of staff.

https://grimshaw.global/projects/empac/

When I went there it was an engineering school with most buildings
dating from the early 20th century. Now it not only has a
superfantabulous performing arts center but the highest paid private
university president in the country. EMPAC was her brainstorm but being
a female POC one cannot criticize.
Posted to alt.home.repair

rbowman wrote:
On 08/27/2019 07:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Before you implement that, lets answer another question.Â* Why
is the
cost of education so high?Â* The same people that complain about
corporate profits never ask about tuition costs or salaries of
staff.

https://grimshaw.global/projects/empac/

When I went there it was an engineering school with most
buildings dating from the early 20th century. Now it not only has
a superfantabulous performing arts center but the highest paid
private university president in the country. EMPAC was her
brainstorm but being a female POC one cannot criticize.

It looks really nice!! : ) I'm sure someone would argue that
it's part of marketing. But if you think about it, what do you
get when you have schools marketing against one another? --
Higher tuition.

Someone pointed out recently that when some of us grew up, we did
so without a lot of "luxuries". No cell phones for instance, no
Starbucks. Many people drive hyper-expensive vehicles or trucks
which are not paid for now. I have coffee a few times a week,
but, so far, I have never been to Starbucks. But to "circle back
to where we started", maybe "marketing" is partially to blame for
why we (over?) spend. But we like "capitalism", right? Maybe we
don't need it so much in our schools, and we should treat them
more like "utilities". Part of the dilemma, is that in our
current society, they resemble utilities in our need for them (to
"not be left behind...").

Bill
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 11:50:29 AM UTC-4, Bill wrote:
rbowman wrote:
[...]

Similar could have been said throughout history. A generation didn't
have to grow up with sewage thrown in the street. Another didn't have
to use outhouses. Another didn't have to rely on stinky horses.
And on it goes.

Many people drive hyper-expensive vehicles or trucks
which are not paid for now. I have coffee a few times a week,
but, so far, I have never been to Starbucks.

You probably should try it, before complaining. A big cup of very
delicious coffee is just $2.70

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/28/2019 09:50 AM, Bill wrote:
rbowman wrote:
On 08/27/2019 07:35 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
Before you implement that, lets answer another question. Why is the
cost of education so high? The same people that complain about
corporate profits never ask about tuition costs or salaries of staff.

https://grimshaw.global/projects/empac/

When I went there it was an engineering school with most buildings
dating from the early 20th century. Now it not only has a
superfantabulous performing arts center but the highest paid private
university president in the country. EMPAC was her brainstorm but
being a female POC one cannot criticize.

It looks really nice!! : ) I'm sure someone would argue that it's part
of marketing. But if you think about it, what do you get when you have
schools marketing against one another? -- Higher tuition.

In the '60s RPI was a top tier school ranked with CalTech and MIT. Now
it stands at 41, tied with Iowa State. MIT and CalTech are still at the
top of the list. For over 50 grand a year who would choose an also ran?