Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Get car checked out by mechanic before buying it

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 12:01:41 +1000, Xeno
wrote:

On 30/8/19 7:46 am, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 06:16:34 -0400, Brock O'Bama
wrote:

On 8/28/19 10:41 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
On Wed, 28 Aug 2019 06:08:26 -0400, Brock O'Bama
wrote:

On 8/27/19 4:51 PM, micky wrote:
On the Pipple's court, she's always insisting that people should get
used cars checked out by a mechanic before they buy it.

I think she says it costs 50 or 100 dollars.

A good mechanic (or lemon law attorney) can steer you away from Ford's loser cars.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PdZhljNSTVg
Or GM's or Nissan's, or Mitsubishi's - or FCA's

I've had more goodfords than bad ones - and more good Chryslers than
bad ones - and more bad GMs than good ones. After 2 I quit.

When you have to pay thousands to repair water pump damage, most reasonably intelligent people realize Ford fscked up.
Even the cost to proactively replace one of Ford's internal pumps is shameful.

Had to replace the pump on the Mystique. I had heard they often
shattered at high RPM, so I took it up to about 6000RPM - and sure
enough, it went. Figured I would have it fail on MY terms. Put in an
aftermarket replacement with a metal impeller instead of Ford's
plastic one.

Yeah, not a fan of plastic impellers on water pumps. Still have memories
of those Chrysler ones that used to spin free on the pump shaft. They
looked like they were Ok but they just didn't pump water.

They even had METAL ones that did that on some slant sixes. They
were intermittent - one day they pumped just fine. Next day they
overheated. Get them into the shop and they worked fine - often just
had to ASS U ME the pump was bad when nothing else checked out bad - -
- On the DuraTec they shattered and it became pretty obvious.

I hit the 6000 RPM or whatever ONCE - and within a minute the temp
guage started climbing - - - Then I KNEW it still had the original
pump - - - - . That little 2.5L V6 would SCREAM!!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/29/2019 08:01 PM, Xeno wrote:
Yeah, not a fan of plastic impellers on water pumps. Still have memories
of those Chrysler ones that used to spin free on the pump shaft. They
looked like they were Ok but they just didn't pump water.

Been there, done that. Weirdest thing I ran into was on a '59 Buick 225.
The pulley with the timing marks had an elastomer coupling to the actual
driven hub, supposedly for vibration dampening. Throw a timing light on
and rev the engine to see the advance and the pulley would rotate
relative to the crank. Go back to idle and the mark would be way off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 30/8/19 2:41 pm, rbowman wrote:
On 08/29/2019 08:01 PM, Xeno wrote:
Yeah, not a fan of plastic impellers on water pumps. Still have memories
of those Chrysler ones that used to spin free on the pump shaft. They
looked like they were Ok but they just didn't pump water.

Been there, done that. Weirdest thing I ran into was on a '59 Buick 225.
The pulley with the timing marks had an elastomer coupling to the actual
driven hub, supposedly for vibration dampening. Throw a timing light on
and rev the engine to see the advance and the pulley would rotate
relative to the crank. Go back to idle and the mark would be way off.

That was common here on some GM products too, usually triggered by a
leaking timing cover seal that allowed oil onto the harmonic damper
which, in turn, rotted it out.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Thu, 29 Aug 2019 17:49:44 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Thu, 29 Aug 2019 08:02:52 -0500, SNAG wrote:

On 8/28/2019 8:50 AM, trader_4 wrote:
On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 at 4:16:16 AM UTC-4, micky wrote:
In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 27 Aug 2019 21:53:49 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 18:27:52 -0500, Terry Coombs
wrote:

On 8/27/2019 6:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/27/2019 6:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

** Or you can do your own inspection . I mean how hard is it to :
Check the tires for abnormal wear - worn ad one side/center
only/edges . Cupping .
Look under the car for obvious oil/fluid leaks . They leave a mess or
a clean area .
Look under the hood for obvious leaks/problems . A bundle of wired
that looks melted ...
Look the interior over . A car with 20,000 miles is NOT going to have
the brake pedal rubber worn smooth .

** If a cursory exam makes you question , then call your mechanic .
Since I'm my own mechanic , I do a much more in depth examination .
I've never bought a lemon , though I have gotten a couple I should
have passed on . Ever priced lug nuts/bolts for a Peugeot ? Be
sittin' down .

Easy for you.* Do you think a bookkeeper or kindergarten teacher knows
how to check how much is left on brake pads or if a weld on a replaced
fender was done sloppily?

* Ed , that's why I suggested some of the easily detected signs of a
problem . If there's a puddle of oil under the tranny ...
It might be a $5 fix - and the perfectly dry one might be a $3000
fix.

When there is a warranty on the engine, like from a used car dealer, is
that supposed to cover oil pan gasket leaks?

Read the warranty? Is it a used late model BMW from a dealer,
a used car from a used car lot with a national warranty, or a used
car from a used car lot where they issue the warranty and do the work?
An oil pan gasket can be an expensive repair. The gasket isn't expensive,
but some cars accessing it is a disaster and you have to partially
lift the engine up.

(As is often the case on that show, the stories are not compatible with
each other. Supposedly they had a 2-day warranty and the mechanic they
took it to on the 2nd day said so many things were bad he couldn't write
them all down but even when she called h im on the phone, the only
things that were mentioned was oil and antifreeze dripping and the gas
tank held up by a bungee cord. Isn't replacing the metal strap that
holds it up a cheap repair?

I've never seen a gas tank held on by a metal strap. Typically
they are shielded, up out of harms way. And if it's
falling out, held on by a bungee cord, there is likely a lot more
wrong than just a strap, like everything is shot from rust.

Haven't been under many old Chevy's have you ? My '86 GMC p/u has
metal bands to hold up the tank . Just about every car out there that
mounts the tank underneath has them too in my experience .
--
Snag

Wow, of course most cars use metal straps.

Trader has to get over his compulsive desire to disagree with me.

If he'd apologize for claiming I put my party ahead of my country and if
he'd stop complaining about the same things over and over, matters of
personal preference and not matters of propriety like he seems to think,
I'd even start reading his posts again.

The VAST majority of cars and trucks have the tank supported by
metal straps - and I've replaced hundreds of them - on cars with very
little to no rust otherwize.

Interesting. The straps rust out before the rest of the car. I guess
something has to rust out first and at least they're not hard to
replace.

Even on cars with rotationally molded
poly (plastic) tanks with sheilds on them.

I'm trying to picture that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 30 Aug 2019 19:57:22 -0400, micky
wrote:

The VAST majority of cars and trucks have the tank supported by
metal straps - and I've replaced hundreds of them - on cars with very
little to no rust otherwize.

Interesting. The straps rust out before the rest of the car. I guess
something has to rust out first and at least they're not hard to
replace.

At least not before the fire caused if it drags along the interstate.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 8/27/2019 6:22 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/27/2019 6:07 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:

Â*Â* Or you can do your own inspection . I mean how hard is it to :
Check the tires for abnormal wear - worn ad one side/center
only/edges . Cupping .
Look under the car for obvious oil/fluid leaks . They leave a mess or
a clean area .
Look under the hood for obvious leaks/problems . A bundle of wired
that looks melted ...
Look the interior over . A car with 20,000 miles is NOT going to have
the brake pedal rubber worn smooth .

Â*Â* If a cursory exam makes you question , then call your mechanic .
Since I'm my own mechanic , I do a much more in depth examination .

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

"plastic" fuel tanks held on with metal straps with plastic "stone
sheilds" or "aemour" to protect them. The "armour" holds dirt which
stays damp and rors the straps.