Old August 27th 19, 06:59 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default An idea I had concerning Student Loans

trader_4 wrote:

IMO, for many of these kids today, they would be better off starting a
small business.

I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list
of schools with the highest default rates (in the article that
was shared in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set
one up pretty well.

Parents should consider that, instead of automatically
dumping $200K into a college education.

Old August 27th 19, 07:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/2019 12:59 PM, Bill wrote:
trader_4 wrote:

IMO, for many of these kids today, they would be better off starting a
small business.

I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list of
schools with the highest default rates (in the article that was shared
in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set one up pretty well.

I didn't see the particular article, but likely that is one of the scam
outfits that does exist solely for the federal loan provided tuition and
doesn't do a lick of good in actually teaching the trade so most are
unqualified when they finish.

The HVAC program at the local CC does quite well by the student--there
are employers waiting for everybody we graduate -- but we don't graduate
them unless they qualify to do so.

Old August 27th 19, 09:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 13:59:10 -0400, Bill wrote:

trader_4 wrote:

IMO, for many of these kids today, they would be better off starting a
small business.

I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list
of schools with the highest default rates (in the article that
was shared in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set
one up pretty well.

I imagine a "degree" in HVAC is not as valuable as experience in HVAC
and if this was mostly classroom work, it might be pretty useless.
Old August 27th 19, 09:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/27/19 1:59 PM, Bill wrote:
I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list of schools with the highest default rates (in the article that was shared in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set one up pretty well.

Yup, swap out the bulging capacitor and add some gas to the leaky condenser and pocket a quick $500.
Old August 27th 19, 09:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

--

It is also a pretty good career too. You can make more than a lot of
degree holders. I know a couple of guys into 6 figures.

Old August 28th 19, 12:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

And, of course, quite a few of these end up starting their own
businesses either as one-man repairmen or, in the case of at least one,
has grown into one of the largest outfits in the region with over 100
technicians in seven permanent locations while have residents in some 20
other smaller places around the region. They're doing quite well
starting with two brothers.

A welding tech grad created a new endowment just a couple years ago in
the multiple six-figures range that might end up at seven before he's done.

A good tech degree/certificate is indeed a very good career path for
those not interested in formal four-year degrees. But, it needs be a
good program and the student has to put in the work as well to make it a
sure thing.

Old August 28th 19, 02:42 AM posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

The trades are not for everyone - but for those who are a good fit,
they can do VERY well.

Private trade schools and charter schools are often just big scams -
the "official" community colleges and polytechnics have generally good
teachers and turn out qualified graduates.

Apprenticeship programs like we have in Ontario are really good
options for the right students. I even had an honours phisics grad
sign on as an apprentice mechanic. He just retired from the position
of head of the technical department at a local secondary school
Old August 28th 19, 02:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

[...]

And it needs to be a "good fit". Not everyone can be a mechanic - or
a plumber, or a HVAC teck, or an electrician.

For those who CAN - it can be VERY GOOD.
Old August 28th 19, 06:26 AM posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote:

IMO, for many of these kids today, they would be better off starting a
small business.

I was pretty surprised to see an HVAC-related school on the list of
schools with the highest default rates (in the article that was shared
in an earlier). I supposed that a degree in HVAC set one up pretty well..

I didn't see the particular article, but likely that is one of the scam
outfits that does exist solely for the federal loan provided tuition and
doesn't do a lick of good in actually teaching the trade so most are
unqualified when they finish.

The HVAC program at the local CC does quite well by the student--there
are employers waiting for everybody we graduate -- but we don't graduate
them unless they qualify to do so.

--

Also does the fact that graduates of a trade school are defaulting really mean that they are failing financially due to being unemoyable or are many defaults because they spend too much money on things that they can do without and bankruptcy has become more normal and acceptable?

I have a friend who didn't go to college, worked jobs ranging from supermarket warehouse to inside sales. Late 40s he got the idea to go to trade school to become a networking tech. It took a couple of months and $12k. He asked me what I thought. I didn't tell him not to do it, but I told him it probably wouldn't be easy to find a job, with a lot of competition from 20 year olds. He went ahead and did it. When he was done, he went on a few interviews and found out that he was competing against those 20 year olds and starting pay wasn't even $20k,half what he was used to making. The fact that he was obese certainly did not help. So, he gave up. IMO, that was predictable. A hiring manager figures that a 20 year old living at home will be happy with 20k,enthusiastic, they can give raises, he will likely stick around for a while. The guy pushing 50, used to making twice that, they figure he's not going to be happy and will take another better paying job, when he finds one. Maybe he could have found a job if he kept trying, but he called it quits after just a few interviews. It gets tough at that age to find a good job even when not trying to switch careers.