Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Replaced ignition cylinder

Some time back I posted a query about the issue of having to jiggle the
ignition switch on the old '98 Chebby pickumup to Clare as to whether
symptomatic of key or lock. Suggested lock if key works in door; turns
out did so finally(!) got the round tuit and swapped out for new
cylinder this afternoon.

Works quite well but the annoyance factor is quite high in the doing it
phase with the fact GM didn't split the top/bottom halves of the cover
around the switch until at least '99 as the earliest--this thing has to
be prized off over the key cylinder in place which is no treat. Plus,
there's a two-piece stud holding the top LH side in place that turns but
doesn't release that a video shows was replaced by a long single
fastener later as well...

But, aggravation aside, can report is done and thanks! for the
diagnostic info so knew which way to go. Don't recall having had
another wear to this extent to being such a pain altho have had many
vehicles far older than this...dunno why this one was so hard. A couple
times in town wasn't sure was ever going to get it to turn -- about 2-3
full minutes of messing around was finally the straw to send me to NAPA
last week!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 17:40:19 -0500, dpb wrote:

[...]

In my limited un-expert experience - Saturn had a lot of
problems with sloppy ignition / key . very early on - and for
several years ..
My wife's 2013 Jetta has displayed sticky ignition key
problems for quite a while - now at ~ 200 k km .
One thing that was mentioned as a possible cause -
- heavy key-ring stuff -
And parking with the steering wheel cocked so you need
to force the key ...
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2019 6:15 PM, wrote:
[...]

Â* The proper thing to do in the case of steering wheel tension is to
turn the wheel to take the tension off before you turn the key . Duh .
That said , my daughter used to have a '99 (IIRC) Camaro (Firebird ?)
that kept having problems removing the key . It was finally traced back
to her spilling sodas on theÂ* console . Those sodas gummed up the
shifter/ignition interlock cable to the point it was basically frozen in
position . Cleaned that up and the problem disappeared .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

In my limited un-expert experience - Saturn had a lot of
problems with sloppy ignition / key . very early on - and for
several years ..
My wife's 2013 Jetta has displayed sticky ignition key
problems for quite a while - now at ~ 200 k km .
One thing that was mentioned as a possible cause -
- heavy key-ring stuff -
And parking with the steering wheel cocked so you need
to force the key ...
John T.

* The proper thing to do in the case of steering wheel tension is to
turn the wheel to take the tension off before you turn the key . Duh .

Yep - fur shur - but that doesn't explain why the
old Saturn and the Jetta have this problem - but -
our 4 Taurus and the Olds and F100 and Kia didn't ..
.... same drivers .. etc.
The Saturns were famous - you could start it up and
pull out the key while it was still running ..
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

GM has had an issue with this for decades It is made much worse when
you have a heavy ring of keys hanging from the cyl.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 20:24:11 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Yep - fur shur - but that doesn't explain why the
old Saturn and the Jetta have this problem - but -
our 4 Taurus and the Olds and F100 and Kia didn't ..
... same drivers .. etc.
The Saturns were famous - you could start it up and
pull out the key while it was still running ..

At one time you could pull the key out of seveal cars with it running.
Dad had a 1950 Chevy that you could pull the key out with the switch in
one position and then turn the switch on and you had to push a buttonon
the dash to start it.. Now you have to hav a FOB to do about the same
thing.

A lot of OLD chevies had that
feature". You could remove the key and still sdtart or shut off the
car - as long as it was not in the "lock" position - where a key was
required. Identifying these was easy - the key fit into a slot in
what was basically a "knob" that could be turnrd with your fingers.
Posted to alt.home.repair

[...]

You are lucky, on my 69 Corvette, you needed to remove the steering
wheel and these days that involves the air bag, not something you want
to be screwing with.
I also took the new one to a locksmith and had it keyed to my original
key so the door and ignition were the same.
I was having problems with my honda and I went to the dealer and had a
new key cut from the spec, not copying the blank. It worked a whole
lot better. My old key just seemed to be worn. The more I used it the
better it got and now it is like silk again.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 20:24:11 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

Yep - fur shur - but that doesn't explain why the
old Saturn and the Jetta have this problem - but -
our 4 Taurus and the Olds and F100 and Kia didn't ..
... same drivers .. etc.
The Saturns were famous - you could start it up and
pull out the key while it was still running ..

At one time you could pull the key out of seveal cars with it running.
Dad had a 1950 Chevy that you could pull the key out with the switch in
one position and then turn the switch on and you had to push a buttonon
the dash to start it.. Now you have to hav a FOB to do about the same
thing.

The mid 50s GM had a lock and an unlocked position on the ignition.
(My dad's 56 Chevy) It was lock, unlocked and start. You could pull
the key out in the unlocked position and run the car normally without
a key. The government or the insurance companies made that go away.
Late 60's Chryslers had a hole in the lock cylinder you could stick a
paper clip in and pull the cylinder with it locked. Then anything
would turn the doodad inside. When my buddy lost the key to his 68 van
at the beach, I popped the cylinder, knocked all the wafers out and
reinstalled it. Any key would work after that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2019 6:13 PM, Ralph Mowery wrote:

I don't recall the years, but wasn't GM having a lot of switch problems
?

One cause was that people had many keys and things on the same key ring
as the ignition switch.

I don't recall if it was GM or another, but I do recall there being some
some cases where apparently excess weight on key rings turned vehicles
off while driving.

I've had nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota
in last 50 years and never had the problem nor a recall notice for the
problem so if it was GM it was some make/model different than full-size
Chevy trucks or Chevy/Olds/Buick. Never had any smaller models so
anything different with them know nothing about.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2019 8:11 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:

GM has had an issue with this for decades It is made much worse when
you have a heavy ring of keys hanging from the cyl.

As an earlier reply noted, I've had only GM w/ two minor exceptions for
50 years and this is the first time I've ever had one do this. The old
55 Ford is only time I recall ever having it happen and that was some
50+ yr ago now.

There's nothing on the key ring but PO box key and one house key and a
tiny one for the toolbox in the bed so there's no big ring on it...this
is, however, about the only one I've had that I haven't had since it was
either new or very nearly so--I didn't buy this one until it already had
almost 90K on it so I don't know how the prior owner may have treated
it. That could be contributing factor.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 22:28:18 -0400, wrote:

[...]

Thpse middle aged GM switches were a royal pain in the
you-know-where. I ended up making a plate compressor several times
over the years - and have used a 3/4" drive socket as a puller too.
I also took the new one to a locksmith and had it keyed to my original
key so the door and ignition were the same.
I was having problems with my honda and I went to the dealer and had a
new key cut from the spec, not copying the blank. It worked a whole
lot better. My old key just seemed to be worn. The more I used it the
better it got and now it is like silk again.

Cutting from code is definitrly the preferred method. Used to
"nibble" a LOT of Toyota keys 30 to 40 years ago

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 25 Aug 2019 22:56:40 -0400, Clare Snyder
wrote:

[...]

The deal on the 69 Vette was once you get the wheel off and I think
one more cover, there was a little web of metal you punch out with a
screwdriver and then you can depress the locking bolt (looks like the
latch on a interior domestic lock set). The new one just pushes in.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

I've had nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota
in last 50 years and never had the problem nor a recall notice for the
problem so if it was GM it was some make/model different than full-size
Chevy trucks or Chevy/Olds/Buick.Â* Never had any smaller models so
anything different with them know nothing about.

"...nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota..."

Which shows how little paid attention. The Honda CRX was a fun
little thing to drive the 30 mi to/from Kingston Steam Plant when the
EPRI I&C office was there...found it for about $1500 'cuz insurance had
totaled it out. The guy bought it back and did the repair himself and
still came out better. It served me well until the move back to
farm--it would _not_ have been a good dirt road vehicle at all...

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

I've had nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota
in last 50 years and never had the problem nor a recall notice for the
problem so if it was GM it was some make/model different than full-size
Chevy trucks or Chevy/Olds/Buick. Never had any smaller models so
anything different with them know nothing about.

"...nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota..."

Which shows how little paid attention. The Honda CRX was a fun
little thing to drive the 30 mi to/from Kingston Steam Plant when the
EPRI I&C office was there...found it for about $1500 'cuz insurance had
totaled it out. The guy bought it back and did the repair himself and
still came out better. It served me well until the move back to
farm--it would _not_ have been a good dirt road vehicle at all...

My Hyundai Getz does dirt roads fine.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/26/2019 1:49 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

I've had nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX
Toyota in last 50 years and never had the problem nor a recall notice
for the problem so if it was GM it was some make/model different than
full-size Chevy trucks or Chevy/Olds/Buick.Â* Never had any smaller
models so anything different with them know nothing about.

"...nothing but GM w/ exception of one Chrysler and one CRX Toyota..."

Which shows how little paid attention.Â* Â* The Honda CRX was a fun
little thing to drive the 30 mi to/from Kingston Steam Plant when the
EPRI I&C office was there...found it for about $1500 'cuz insurance
had totaled it out.Â* The guy bought it back and did the repair himself
and still came out better.Â* It served me well until the move back to
farm--it would _not_ have been a good dirt road vehicle at all...

My Hyundai Getz does dirt roads fine.

Dunno what that is nor what its ground clearance is..the CRX would been
ok if they always were dry and graded but stiff enough to shake your
teeth out when washboardy as are most of the time and way too low when
muddy...

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

The "flash" in the die-casting was far from universal. I'd say less
than half of the ones I had to remove had the slot covered with a film
of zinc alloy - and some so thin you could ALMOST see through it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 04:49:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

My Hyundai Getz does dirt roads fine.

Of COURSE it does, you clinically insane 85-year-old senile asshole! LOL

--
Senile Rodent about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message ...
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

The Getz is a little ****cutter that is not sold in North America -
basically a "microcar".
Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Same as the CRX

the CRX would been ok if they always were dry and graded

The Getz is fine when whet and not graded. Never been graded either.

but stiff enough to shake your teeth out when washboardy as are most of
the time

Still works fine.

and way too low when muddy...

Bull****, and I have grounded mine a few times.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 05:57:37 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Bull****, and I have grounded mine a few times.

You know what, senile Rodent? You can shove your Getz up yours like
everything else, senile asshole!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."

Posted to alt.home.repair

"dpb" wrote in message
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

Nope, much bigger than a microcar. It's a small hatch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 27 Aug 2019 06:18:29 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

It's a little ****cutter that is not sold in North America, senile idiot!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

.. .

"dpb" wrote in message
On 8/25/2019 9:40 PM, dpb wrote:

[...]

About the same size as the current Nissan Micra Versa or the old Geo
Metro. In Noth America that's "Micro" - or small sub-compact. Actually
it is about 20KG lighter than theMicra, 180mm narrower, about 70MM
higher, and the wheelbase is about 25mm shorter. Overall it's al;most
100mm shorter (2008 to 2008 comparison)
It's a meter longer than a Toyota IQ and about the same hight and
width, and about 150KG heavier. The IQ is Toyota's answer to the
Smart.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I have been pretty specific as to make and year but I understood that
was the standard steering wheel collar when they went to the locking
wheel. I also know you could snatch that cylinder with a slap hammer
puller but getting one to stay back in there might be tough. ;-)