Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Roofing Tar Drying Time

I have a basement leak. The problem appears to be the separation
of the concrete driveway from the house foundation at one point.

I decided to fill up the separation, which is about 5 feet long,
with some roofing tar. This tar comes in a can just like paint.

After proper masking I filled up the separation with the tar, but
now I am concerned about drying time. The application was on Saturday
morning and the weather forecast has a chance of rain on Monday
afternoon. In between there will nothing but sunny skies.

Is this sufficient time for the tar to harden or should I put
some kind of cover over it? Or should I just leave it uncovered
in spite of the rain?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2019 5:13 PM, F Russell wrote:
I have a basement leak. The problem appears to be the separation
of the concrete driveway from the house foundation at one point.

I decided to fill up the separation, which is about 5 feet long,
with some roofing tar. This tar comes in a can just like paint.

After proper masking I filled up the separation with the tar, but
now I am concerned about drying time. The application was on Saturday
morning and the weather forecast has a chance of rain on Monday
afternoon. In between there will nothing but sunny skies.

Is this sufficient time for the tar to harden or should I put
some kind of cover over it? Or should I just leave it uncovered
in spite of the rain?

Â* You'd have been better off to patch the crack with a product called
"hydraulic cement" , a concrete product that expands as it hardens .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 24, 2019 at 6:58:24 PM UTC-4, Terry Coombs wrote:
[...]

Except that he's trying to fill a crack between a sidewalk and the foundation,
where there will be movement and it will crack again. I think he wants a
flexible product. Not sure if roofing tar is right for it either.

If I were looking for a product for that, I'd start in the concrete section
at HD or similar. They have a variety of caulking/sealant stuff that
comes in tubes that fit a caulking gun and it sets up, but remains flexible..
Another possibility is in the driveway crack sealant family. For that
they also sell rolls of caulk in various sizes that you can put into a
crack, then melt with a torch.

The roofing tar, I guess it depends on the actual product. They are
petroleum based, for sure I've seen some of those in caulk gun tubes that say
they can be used wet or dry. Since it's already done, I would see how it's
setting up and if it;s still far from cured then I would keep big water
away from it. Getting wet probably won't matter, but I wouldn't let a
flood hit it either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/24/2019 6:13 PM, F Russell wrote:
I have a basement leak. The problem appears to be the separation
of the concrete driveway from the house foundation at one point.

I decided to fill up the separation, which is about 5 feet long,
with some roofing tar. This tar comes in a can just like paint.

After proper masking I filled up the separation with the tar, but
now I am concerned about drying time. The application was on Saturday
morning and the weather forecast has a chance of rain on Monday
afternoon. In between there will nothing but sunny skies.

Is this sufficient time for the tar to harden or should I put
some kind of cover over it? Or should I just leave it uncovered
in spite of the rain?

You should be ok in a matter of hours. It will skin over and repel
water in a short time.