Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Repair shower tile damage

I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 3:40:18 PM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Weird, any idea how it got there? Are you sure it's something on
top of the tile? If you think it's paint, then paint remover?
Tile would be impervious to that. If you have already something else,
eg paint thinner, acetone, nail polish remover, gasoline, you could try
that first.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 2:40 PM, A K wrote:
I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Actually, that doesn't look like real tile but one of the embossed sheet
products...those aren't true grout lines but just embossed into the surface.

Looks to me more like something removed the surface layer more than is
on top of it but can't really tell for sure.

I'd guess that's permanent, likely although only a real inspection would
really be able to know what the material is for sure and what the damage
actually is.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Did you try scraping with a single edge razor? The glaze on tile is
much like glass and depending on what it is, the stuff may come right off.

Depending on what it is, soaking with soap and water, solvent like
acetone, Goo Gone, or a good sperm remover should work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 4:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
Â* I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Did you try scraping with a single edge razor?Â* The glaze on tile is
much like glass and depending on what it is, the stuff may come right off.

Depending on what it is, soaking with soap and water, solvent like
acetone, Goo Gone, or a good sperm remover should work.

Hard to tell. Looking at other 2 responses, both make sense. You
should be able to tell if just paint or finished removed scraping one
way or the other to see which comes off. The grout does look more like
grout in the marred area, almost like the original tile was refinished
somehow.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 3:59 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
Â* I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Did you try scraping with a single edge razor?Â* The glaze on tile is
much like glass and depending on what it is, the stuff may come right
off.

Depending on what it is, soaking with soap and water, solvent like
acetone, Goo Gone, or a good sperm remover should work.

Â* Ed , it looks to me like part of his "spray on finish" has peeled off
.. I was going to suggest epoxy appliance paint after a good solvent
cleaning and a light sand with some 320 to give the new paint some
"tooth" . Ain't gonna be pretty ...

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
Â* I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Did you try scraping with a single edge razor?Â* The glaze on tile is
much like glass and depending on what it is, the stuff may come right off.

Depending on what it is, soaking with soap and water, solvent like
acetone, Goo Gone, or a good sperm remover should work.

Hard to tell. Looking at other 2 responses, both make sense. You
should be able to tell if just paint or finished removed scraping one
way or the other to see which comes off. The grout does look more like
grout in the marred area, almost like the original tile was refinished
somehow.

I had something attached with glue there and when I removed it, it left that indentation.

I have some fiberglass and resin.

I guess I could fill it in, sand it, and paint it.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 23, 2019 at 4:51:28 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 8/23/2019 2:40 PM, A K wrote:
I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Actually, that doesn't look like real tile but one of the embossed sheet
products...those aren't true grout lines but just embossed into the surface.

Looks to me more like something removed the surface layer more than is
on top of it but can't really tell for sure.

I'd guess that's permanent, likely although only a real inspection would
really be able to know what the material is for sure and what the damage
actually is.

--

You're right, idk how I missed that, so forget about paint remover. I see he made another post. First he said it looked like paint, now he says there was something glued on and then removed? Given the latter, the only remaining issue is if something is left on top or it ripped off the finish. If the latter, his idea of using some fiberglass filler could work. I'd repaint whole tiles, 4 or whatever, but good luck matching the paint, unless he cuts out a piece to color match it.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
Â* I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Did you try scraping with a single edge razor?Â* The glaze on tile is
much like glass and depending on what it is, the stuff may come right
off.

Depending on what it is, soaking with soap and water, solvent like
acetone, Goo Gone, or a good sperm remover should work.

Â* Ed , it looks to me like part of his "spray on finish" has peeled off
. I was going to suggest epoxy appliance paint after a good solvent
cleaning and a light sand with some 320 to give the new paint some
"tooth" . Ain't gonna be pretty ...

Taking a second look, I think that is correct. Looks like plastic sheet
as was pointed out already.

Easy to fix with a bathroom remodel for 20k or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 4:50 PM, dpb wrote:
On 8/23/2019 2:40 PM, A K wrote:
Â* I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

Actually, that doesn't look like real tile but one of the embossed sheet
products...those aren't true grout lines but just embossed into the
surface.

That's exactly what it is. It's not real tile but appears to be a single
sheet imitation tile used as a cheap remodel option.

Looks to me more like something removed the surface layer more than is
on top of it but can't really tell for sure.

I'd guess that's permanent, likely although only a real inspection would
really be able to know what the material is for sure and what the damage
actually is.

--

Solution would be to sand it and repaint using an appliance paint or
other hard enamel white gloss paint.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 24/8/19 5:40 am, A K wrote:
I would like to repair this damage.

It is in my shower.

It looks like some kind of paint/coating was sprayed over the tile.

What can I use to repair it?

https://imgur.com/a/1MqPx3z

It looks like a hard enamel finish. You might want to get one of those
chaps who repair chips on enameled bathtubs to have a look at it and
give you a quote. They would be able to match the colour as well. I had
them fix a large chip on my near new enameled bathtub and you had to
look really closely to even see the repair.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
[...]

Might be tough for you to get a good match. As suggested, appliance
paint may do or you might need a pro to do it. If I had something glued
there maybe I would glue something unobtrusive back there like a soap
dish to cover it.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On 8/23/2019 3:40 PM, A K wrote:
[...]