Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Rely on technology too much

This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 19:57:27 -0700 (PDT), trader_4
wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 17/8/19 12:57 pm, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Paper availability was variable and it was also expensive. The article
isn't talking about a *blackboard* as such, instead it is referring to a
hand held slate upon which students could write. It wasn't used for
*permanent recording*, just as a scratch pad for arithmetic problems and
the like. It was also considered sound educational practice for students
to *interact* in some way with what they were being taught - and remains
to this day. This article should clear the matter up and, yes, the
timelines do fit;

https://blogs.ubc.ca/etec540sept13/2...-rote-to-note/

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/19 9:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Considering blackboards, I went to a school built around 1970 when
somebody decided to make the blackboards light brown, almost the same
color as white chalk.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Irreligion: The principal one of the great faiths of the world." --
Ambrose Bierce

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"Irreligion: The principal one of the great faiths of the world." --
Ambrose Bierce
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/16/19 9:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Considering blackboards, I went to a school built around 1970 when
somebody decided to make the blackboards light brown, almost the same
color as white chalk.

in the 1990's my adult sister discovered Armor All for her car and went a little overboard and Armor Alled the brake pedal! It LOOKED great but was slippery! She learned never to do THAT again.

John Kuthe...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a good phone should.

John Kuthe...
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a good phone should.

John Kuthe...

That's pretty good.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/17/2019 03:32 PM, John Kuthe wrote:
On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/16/19 9:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Considering blackboards, I went to a school built around 1970 when
somebody decided to make the blackboards light brown, almost the same
color as white chalk.

in the 1990's my adult sister discovered Armor All for her car and went a little overboard and Armor Alled the brake pedal! It LOOKED great but was slippery! She learned never to do THAT again.

Armor All on a motorcycle saddle isn't the best idea in the world either.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a good phone should.

John Kuthe...

That's fine if your life revolves around your desk. Mine doesn't.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take notes.

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a good phone should.

John Kuthe...

That's fine if your life revolves around your desk. Mine doesn't.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

BasicTalk, phone over Internet. My life does NOT revolve aroundÂ*my phone. Most peoples' DO! Part of Borg, most seek to be!! Not ME!

John Kuthe...
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it.Â* We rely on the latest technology too much
and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand
years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative
AFAIK.

Until fairly recently (late 18th century anyway) paper was too
expensive for kids to use tho.

Young people don't use paper as much. They use their phones to take
notes.

What phone? I don't carry a phone! My phone lives on my desk like a
good phone should.

John Kuthe...

That's fine if your life revolves around your desk. Mine doesn't.

Not at all. If I wasn't carrying a phone, I wouldn't need one. My home
phone now is redundant since I took up mobiles 2 decades+ ago. The only
reason I have a home phone is that it is part of a default bundled
internet plan. People can now reach me whereas it was nigh on impossible
with only a home phone available. It has to be said, I make very few
outgoing calls, even now. Just Doctor appointments, travel arrangements,
etc.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

Not at all. If I wasn't carrying a phone, I wouldn't need one. My home
phone now is redundant since I took up mobiles 2 decades+ ago. The only
reason I have a home phone is that it is part of a default bundled
internet plan. People can now reach me whereas it was nigh on impossible
with only a home phone available. It has to be said, I make very few
outgoing calls, even now. Just Doctor appointments, travel arrangements,
etc.

My bundled internet came with phone. The only time a phone has ever
been plugged in was to test one that I was taking to my mother's house
to diagnose trouble with her internet phone.

My husband and I use our cell phones exclusively.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/8/19 8:51 pm, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

Not at all. If I wasn't carrying a phone, I wouldn't need one. My home
phone now is redundant since I took up mobiles 2 decades+ ago. The only
reason I have a home phone is that it is part of a default bundled
internet plan. People can now reach me whereas it was nigh on impossible
with only a home phone available. It has to be said, I make very few
outgoing calls, even now. Just Doctor appointments, travel arrangements,
etc.

My bundled internet came with phone. The only time a phone has ever
been plugged in was to test one that I was taking to my mother's house
to diagnose trouble with her internet phone.

My husband and I use our cell phones exclusively.

Cindy Hamilton

Yes, my wife and I are pretty much the same these days. Some people
still call us on the land line, like earlier this evening for instance,
but we prefer to be reached via our mobiles. I am not *tethered* to the
landline and my life definitely doesn't revolve around my mobile. It is
a very convenient tool and I use it as such for a multiplicity of tasks.
Recently my phone served as a GPS when I was navigating around Canberra,
the nation's capital. Very handy since my Navman died a while back.
Anyone who has tried to negotiate the streets of Canberra will realise
how handy a GPS in a phone can be. Compact package, always with you,
perfect even when walking the streets of a strange city. The only thing
I really don't like on my phone is social media like Facebook. Now that
stuff really does try to *take over your life*. All those messaging aps
like WhatsApp, they too are banned - just the messenger app that comes
with the phone is all that's permitted. As I said, my phone is a tool, a
convenience, and when it gets uppity and tries to take over, I pull it
back into line.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
On Sunday, August 18, 2019 at 12:04:24 AM UTC-4, Xeno wrote:

Not at all. If I wasn't carrying a phone, I wouldn't need one. My home
phone now is redundant since I took up mobiles 2 decades+ ago. The only
reason I have a home phone is that it is part of a default bundled
internet plan. People can now reach me whereas it was nigh on impossible
with only a home phone available. It has to be said, I make very few
outgoing calls, even now. Just Doctor appointments, travel arrangements,
etc.

My bundled internet came with phone. The only time a phone has ever
been plugged in was to test one that I was taking to my mother's house
to diagnose trouble with her internet phone.

My husband and I use our cell phones exclusively.

I do too now, but there are still a few who only have my landline
number so I still have a phone on that line. Only ever get a spam
call on it every couple of weeks or so now. Maybe one call from
someone who only has my landline number every couple of years.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Xeno" wrote in message
[...]

And handy for finding a dunny or the closes light rail
stop and where that light rail line can take you etc.
And a very convenient way to pay the fare etc.

The only thing I really don't like on my phone is social media like
Facebook.

I do because I have my own facebook garage sale group where
I put the ads from the local paper and any others I can find on
other facebook groups and can update that with more details
when someone puts a very misleading location of the garage
sale like one did a couple of weekends ago. She thanked me
for doing that because otherwise hardly anyone would have
showed up.

Now that stuff really does try to *take over your life*.

Doesnt take over mine.

All those messaging aps like WhatsApp, they too are banned

More fool you;. They are very handy for stuff that is better in text
form like the stuff someone got me to torrent yesterday and much
more convenient when I wanted to tell them when it was ready
and why a couple of the ones they wanted werent available.

just the messenger app that comes with the phone is all that's permitted.

More fool you. Thats nowhere near as convenient when someone
wants to send you a link to something they are asking about.

As I said, my phone is a tool, a convenience, and when it gets uppity and
tries to take over,

Mine never does.

I pull it back into line.

Just a silly little fantasy.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 03:56:47 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

[...]

If you ported your land line over to your cell phone you will get as
many robo calls as anyone else in that LATA. They dial all 10,000
numbers.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 04:09:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the trolling senile Ozzie cretin's latest troll****

cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 03:56:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

My husband and I use our cell phones exclusively.

I do too now,

Nobody talked to you, you deluded self-important senile asshole troll from
Oz!

cretin from Oz:

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not possible to do that here. We have a separate
block of numbers for cellphones and landlines.

you will get as many robo calls as anyone else in that LATA.

There is no LATA here.

They dial all 10,000 numbers.

Not here they don't. I don't get any robo calls at all on my cellphone.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 19 Aug 2019 06:37:42 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

If you ported your land line over to your cell phone

Not possible to do that here.

Here? That's Australia? Then **** off to an Australian ng! But then, they
chased you senile pest away from there! BG

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/17/2019 6:49 PM, rbowman wrote:
[...]

Â*And most definitely not on the tires !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

John Kuthe posted for all of us...

On Saturday, August 17, 2019 at 1:02:17 PM UTC-5, Mark Lloyd wrote:
On 8/16/19 9:57 PM, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 9:43:07 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
This school nailed it. We rely on the latest technology too much and it
can fail.

https://imgur.com/gallery/Mk0vN59

I smell a fake. Paper was in existence and used for a thousand years before 1815 and blackboards were never really an alternative AFAIK.

Considering blackboards, I went to a school built around 1970 when
somebody decided to make the blackboards light brown, almost the same
color as white chalk.

in the 1990's my adult sister discovered Armor All for her car and went a little overboard and Armor Alled the brake pedal! It LOOKED great but was slippery! She learned never to do THAT again.

John Kuthe...

One time a female washed & detailed the ambulance. Good job, except she
Armour All'd the bench seat. Lucky the medic in the back found out at the
first stop and was not hurt.

--
Tekkie