Old August 16th 19, 07:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default All ball bearing motor

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Old August 16th 19, 09:23 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.
Old August 16th 19, 10:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all
ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Yep. not all motors have nothing but ball bearings.
Old August 16th 19, 10:40 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:22:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all
ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Yep. not all motors have nothing but ball bearings.

YOU on the other hand are not different from any other trolls, you abnormal
85-year-old trolling senile asshole from Oz!

cretin from Oz:
Old August 16th 19, 03:25 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2019 1:54 AM, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Female motors have no balls. They have sleeves.

Old August 16th 19, 03:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2019 9:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/16/2019 1:54 AM, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Female motors have no balls.* They have sleeves.

And some of them have a high-pitched whine.

Old August 16th 19, 06:28 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:54:33 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

It's different than motors with plain bearings - or the odd one with
needle or roller bearings.
Old August 17th 19, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 2:23:43 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.

thanks trader_4 for the detailed info.

Andy
Old August 17th 19, 09:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Aug 2019 08:12:43 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 2:23:43 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.

thanks trader_4 for the detailed info.

Andy

Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

OTOH, car wheel bearings are roller bearings, and they are replaceable.
When one of your wheels rumbles when the car is moving, it may be the
wheel bearing.
Old August 17th 19, 10:58 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

OTOH, car wheel bearings are roller bearings, and they are replaceable.
When one of your wheels rumbles when the car is moving, it may be the
wheel bearing.

Ball bearings work fine at engine speeds. They only run around 3000 rpm
or less normally, but up to 5000 t0 10000 rpm for short periods of time.

One reason for the ball bearings in wheels is it is very difficult to
put oil to them under pressure.

It it the oil and grease that keeps the metel parts seperated so they do
not wear.

Electric motors often run at 3600 rpm or more with ball bearings and
grease.