Posted to alt.home.repair

Default All ball bearing motor

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Andy wrote

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all
ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Yep. not all motors have nothing but ball bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 18:22:43 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all
ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Yep. not all motors have nothing but ball bearings.

YOU on the other hand are not different from any other trolls, you abnormal
85-year-old trolling senile asshole from Oz!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2019 1:54 AM, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Female motors have no balls. They have sleeves.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/16/2019 9:25 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 8/16/2019 1:54 AM, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Female motors have no balls.Â* They have sleeves.

And some of them have a high-pitched whine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 22:54:33 -0700 (PDT), Andy
wrote:

I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

It's different than motors with plain bearings - or the odd one with
needle or roller bearings.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 2:23:43 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.

thanks trader_4 for the detailed info.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 17 Aug 2019 08:12:43 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 2:23:43 AM UTC-5, trader_4 wrote:
On Friday, August 16, 2019 at 1:54:36 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I have a bench grinder that i bought in 1986. The label says "all ball bearing motor." Is that motor different than other motors?

Generally there are two types of bearings, ball or sleeve and ball ones cost more and are better for many applications, including that they can be replaced in many cases if they wear out. On the other hand it a sleeve bearing lasts the life of an infrequently used, not so expensive thing, it can be well suited to the application.

thanks trader_4 for the detailed info.

Andy

Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

OTOH, car wheel bearings are roller bearings, and they are replaceable.
When one of your wheels rumbles when the car is moving, it may be the
wheel bearing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In article , NONONOmisc07
@bigfoot.com says...

Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

OTOH, car wheel bearings are roller bearings, and they are replaceable.
When one of your wheels rumbles when the car is moving, it may be the
wheel bearing.

Ball bearings work fine at engine speeds. They only run around 3000 rpm
or less normally, but up to 5000 t0 10000 rpm for short periods of time.

One reason for the ball bearings in wheels is it is very difficult to
put oil to them under pressure.

It it the oil and grease that keeps the metel parts seperated so they do
not wear.

Electric motors often run at 3600 rpm or more with ball bearings and
grease.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 08/17/2019 01:06 PM, micky wrote:
Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

Consider what an automotive crankshaft looks like. How do you get the
ball bearings on the journals?

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.co.../crankshaft-2/

Some motorcycles use roller and ball bearings but you are essentially
building the crank out of pieces and the crankcase splits perpendicular
to the centerline of the crank.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 17 Aug 2019 18:25:46 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 08/17/2019 01:06 PM, micky wrote:
Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts. My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

Consider what an automotive crankshaft looks like. How do you get the
ball bearings on the journals?

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.co.../crankshaft-2/

Some motorcycles use roller and ball bearings but you are essentially
building the crank out of pieces and the crankcase splits perpendicular
to the centerline of the crank.

You could use individual roller bearings like they use in a
transmission but the babbit bearings work so well no engine
manufacturer wants to spend the money.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 18/8/19 10:25 am, rbowman wrote:
On 08/17/2019 01:06 PM, micky wrote:
Worth noting that car engines have only sleeve bearings, but they get
long life out of them by making them of special material and by
inserting oil under pressure between the bearing and the rotating
shafts.** My guess is that roller bearings and ball bearings wouldn't
work at the high rpm of car engines, or at least they wouldn't work
better, though maybe i'm wrong and some engines I'm not acquainted with
do use them.

FWIW, sleeve bearings are used up to 150,000 rpm. Think turbochargers.
In operation, hydrodynamic lubrication keeps the metallic components
separated by a thin oil film.

Consider what an automotive crankshaft looks like. How do you get the
ball bearings on the journals?

https://www.bmwclassicmotorcycles.co.../crankshaft-2/

Some motorcycles use roller and ball bearings but you are essentially
building the crank out of pieces and the crankcase splits perpendicular
to the centerline of the crank.

They were generally two stroke engines and cars also used them, like the
Goggomobile, early Suzuki LJ 50s and several other Japanese marques of
the same era. Not sure if Saab 2 strokes used built up crankshafts. The
difference was the lack of pressure lubrication so the more usual
hydrodynamic lubrication systems wasn't an option. Two strokes also
needed to fill up dead space in the crankcase so it could be used more
efficiently as a pump. This meant the crankshaft webs were quite bulky
lending themselves to press fit crank pins. roller and ball bearings are
known as anti-friction bearings so were a benefit in small two stroke
engine in reducing the parasitic losses associated with friction.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Not ideal. The ball would need to run across a *joint* and the effect
would be to wear away/hammer at the edges - bit like how a pothole in
the road grows as cars pass over it.

Babbit hasn't been used in engine bearings for yonks. It pretty much
faded from the scene around the time I entered the motor trade and split
shell bearings came into general use. Babbit cannot handle the speeds
and loads of modern engine crankshafts.