Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Armstrong ceiling tile staple gun

I put up them fiber ceiling tiles 15 years ago. Had water damage from leak from roof.
The crown molding I just ripped down has a line on the bottom of the wall tile board.
I want to staple or glue new tiles over the old. Is that doable? The new molding will cover the crappy line. If I rip ceiling down, the molding will not cover line. I do not want to mess with the walls.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 17:25:10 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

I put up them fiber ceiling tiles 15 years ago. Had water damage from leak from roof.
The crown molding I just ripped down has a line on the bottom of the wall tile board.
I want to staple or glue new tiles over the old. Is that doable? The new molding will cover the crappy line. If I rip ceiling down, the molding will not cover line. I do not want to mess with the walls.

Glue - mabee. Staple??? Slim chance.

Even the glue option is really a long-shot.
I'd tear the ceiling down and install a bigger crown molding. ( or
tear it down and strap it with thicker strapping)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/12/2019 8:25 PM, Thomas wrote:
I put up them fiber ceiling tiles 15 years ago. Had water damage from leak from roof.
The crown molding I just ripped down has a line on the bottom of the wall tile board.
I want to staple or glue new tiles over the old. Is that doable? The new molding will cover the crappy line. If I rip ceiling down, the molding will not cover line. I do not want to mess with the walls.

Two things to consider
1. If they had water damage will they have a mold problem if left in
place?

2. I don't know of any staples long enough to secure a second layer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 12 Aug 2019 23:20:59 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 8/12/2019 8:25 PM, Thomas wrote:
I put up them fiber ceiling tiles 15 years ago. Had water damage from leak from roof.
The crown molding I just ripped down has a line on the bottom of the wall tile board.
I want to staple or glue new tiles over the old. Is that doable? The new molding will cover the crappy line. If I rip ceiling down, the molding will not cover line. I do not want to mess with the walls.

Two things to consider
1. If they had water damage will they have a mold problem if left in
place?

2. I don't know of any staples long enough to secure a second layer.

Not for an Arrow T-50 style gun but my Bostitch pneumatic will shoot
staples about an inch and a quarter long. For something like soft
ceiling tile I like to run a piece of 16 or 18 gauge wire along the
rib and straddle it with the staple. That ain't going anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Recommend a staple gun, non air. I will rip this **** down and start over.Armstrong 12 x 12 fiber ceiling tiles. I have an Arrow from years ago but need clean.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 13:46:41 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:

Recommend a staple gun, non air. I will rip this **** down and start over.Armstrong 12 x 12 fiber ceiling tiles. I have an Arrow from years ago but need clean.

Before you do that, think hard about replacing those tiles with 1/4" drywall. I pulled
down about a 16' x 4' piece of my basement tiles pulled for replumbing.
I notice nearly all of the 12" x 12" tiles have sagging. They all have bellies.
The entire 16' x 30' room. The tiles are probably 30-50 years old.
Pretty sure I'm going to drywall the entire room ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/13/2019 5:31 PM, Vic Smith wrote:
On Tue, 13 Aug 2019 13:46:41 -0700 (PDT), Thomas wrote:

Recommend a staple gun, non air. I will rip this **** down and start over.Armstrong 12 x 12 fiber ceiling tiles. I have an Arrow from years ago but need clean.

Before you do that, think hard about replacing those tiles with 1/4" drywall. I pulled
down about a 16' x 4' piece of my basement tiles pulled for replumbing.
I notice nearly all of the 12" x 12" tiles have sagging. They all have bellies.
The entire 16' x 30' room. The tiles are probably 30-50 years old.
Pretty sure I'm going to drywall the entire room ceiling.

Â* 1/2 inch lightweight is MUCH easier to hang than 1/4" . Unless you
got lots of help you're going to break a lot of drywall .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Since I am concerned with that line, how about carpet tack strips to give me the quarter inch needed to hide it?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/15/2019 5:16 PM, Thomas wrote:
Since I am concerned with that line, how about carpet tack strips to give me the quarter inch needed to hide it?

Â*You're kidding , right ? (18 years as a floor mechanic) How about you
put a strip of molding about 1 1/4" or so wide and 1/4" thick on the
wall so that it hides the line and gives you about a quarter or 3/8 inch
reveal below the crown mold ? (20+ years as a cabinet maker) BTW , pg
door stop strip would work well , and will add a bit more detail .
Another possibility is picture mold set about 1/4 - 3/8" below the crown
mold . That would also give you a means to ... wait for it ... hang
pictures !

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Carpet strips on the furring strips already there to lower all blocks a quarter inch.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 15:16:47 -0700 (PDT), Thomas
wrote:

Since I am concerned with that line, how about carpet tack strips to give me the quarter inch needed to hide it?

I would just use a few burlap strips - or even better, (and
cheaper)set up your table saw and rip 1/4 inch or 5/16 strips off of a
straight grained 2X
Tack strip is only 3/4 inch wide (OK, some is 7/8) and you don't need
the "burrs" - and it's about $0.30 a foot
I'd put a bead of PL on the cut strip and throw in a nail every foot
or so.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Thanks all. Taking a break now. Considred cleaning the 'line'. So far so good. Scour pad on the slow.