Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Rust resistant coating

I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

Thanks,
Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

Rustolium. Just pianted my fence. I expect 10 years or till I die.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 8:43 AM, A K wrote:
I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

Thanks,
Andy

Powder coating requires oven baking to about 400 degrees.

Good paint, like Rustoleum will get you years of service. Prep is
critical for a good job so take your time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 7:43 AM, A K wrote:
I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

What's it going on? New or old work? One of the zinc converters first
if old work will help.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/19 7:43 AM, A K wrote:
I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

Thanks,
Andy

We used instant cold galvanizing at work years ago. My bosses
liked it because
it was cheap and available locally. Quality? I really don't remember
and had nothing
to compare it to. Lots of products pop up in a search for corrosion
resistant coatings.

Posted to alt.home.repair

I will be going on my bicycle frame and some bolts.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/19 8:53 AM, Andy wrote:
I will be going on my bicycle frame and some bolts.

Andy

Would it be worth tearing down and to an auto body shop?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 11, 2019 at 9:53:59 AM UTC-4, Andy wrote:
I will be going on my bicycle frame and some bolts.

Andy

If there is no existing rust, Rustoleum should be fine. If there is
existing rust, Rustoleum and probably others have primer made for rusty
areas, but it's far better to get it down to bare metal. However might
not be that easy to do in tight areas, uneven spots like welds, etc.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 5:43 AM, A K wrote:
I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

I used Hammerite on a huge outdoor hinge I made, and it is still fine
after 20 years. Nice looking too.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 05:43:40 -0700, A K wrote:

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

You may want to consider aluminum paint, which contains metallic aluminum flakes.
This paint is especially good for fences.

The only possible drawback is that the coating is always bright silver.
On a fence the bright silver coat is not unnatural.

https://gharpedia.com/aluminium-paint

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 11 Aug 2019 05:43:40 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance for metal?

Thanks,
Andy

Powder coating CAUSES rust if the film is broken allowing moisture in
under the coating. A good cold galvanize or high zinc epoxy primer is
MUCH better than powder coat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/11/2019 9:52 AM, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 8/11/19 7:43 AM, A K wrote:
I was told that powder coating paint is very good for rust resistance.

But from what I read, that kind of paint requires heat.

Is there something else that will provide excellent rust resistance
for metal?

Thanks,
Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* Andy

Â*Â*Â*Â*Â* We used instant cold galvanizing at work years ago.Â*Â* My bosses
liked it because
it was cheap and available locally.Â*Â* Quality?Â* I really don't remember
and had nothing
to compare it to.Â* Lots of products pop up inÂ* a search for corrosion
resistant coatings.

Years since I saw auto-body processes. Only difference I see today is
more environmentally friendly paint:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Automotive_paint

Metal prep was most important and sometimes one sided galvanized was
used as apparently 2 sided is harder to weld. I recall Renault talking
about hot dipping the whole welded body.

For a bicycle I'd sand down to bare metal and prime with a Rustoleum and
final coat on whole bike.