Ron Hardin

Default Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

Is there a bicycle powered water pump available? A simple way to keep
the basement dry when the power goes off, if so.

I can't find any. It ought to be simple though.

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.
--
Ron Hardin

Joseph Meehan

Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a bicycle powered water pump available? A simple way to keep
the basement dry when the power goes off, if so.

I can't find any. It ought to be simple though.

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Got to be real fun doing that all night. ;-)

It also means you must be home at the time.

--
Joseph E. Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Richard J Kinch

Ron Hardin writes:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Consider the horsepower it takes to lift a given volume of water a given
height in a given time. A man isn't good for much, bicycle or no. This
was well known to the 19th century navies of the world wrt bilge pumps and
to firefighting before the era of portable steam engines.

Reminds me of a friend who thought we would fly on bicycles some day, it
was just a matter of improving the mechanical efficiency. That he couldn't
run up a few flights of stairs without being exhausted didn't seem to be a
problem.
JerryMouse

Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ron Hardin writes:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Consider the horsepower it takes to lift a given volume of water a
given height in a given time. A man isn't good for much, bicycle or
no. This was well known to the 19th century navies of the world wrt
bilge pumps and to firefighting before the era of portable steam
engines.

Reminds me of a friend who thought we would fly on bicycles some day,
it was just a matter of improving the mechanical efficiency. That he
couldn't run up a few flights of stairs without being exhausted
didn't seem to be a problem.

Likewise those who think the country can be run by sunbeams. There's only
700 watts/sq meter of sunlight falling on the surface of the earth. At the
equator. At noon. With no clouds. The ONLY way to increase that number is to
move the orbit of the earth closer to the sun.

JerryMouse

Ron Hardin wrote:
Is there a bicycle powered water pump available? A simple way to keep
the basement dry when the power goes off, if so.

I can't find any. It ought to be simple though.

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Build your own:
1 pump
1 bicycle
1 belt
2 pulleys

250 watts = 1/3 horsepower. Maybe it would work.

Jeff Wisnia

JerryMouse wrote:

Richard J Kinch wrote:

Ron Hardin writes:

[...]

Or you could employ a really BIG lens or mirror. G

Jeff

--

Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

"As long as there are exams in public schools there will be prayer in
public schools."

Ron Hardin

Joseph Meehan wrote:
Is there a bicycle powered water pump available? A simple way to keep
the basement dry when the power goes off, if so.

I can't find any. It ought to be simple though.

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Got to be real fun doing that all night. ;-)

It also means you must be home at the time.

It's more fruitful than bike riding, and people do that for hours; going for 100
mile rides both Saturday and Sunday, for instnace.

Look at the motivation when the water's gaining on you.

Some people are home most of the time, and there's a fine water alarm in the sump
hole.

The thing about human powered is that it outlasts the power outage easily, and
gives you something to do in the dark. No fumes, no stale gasoline running out,
no dead batteries.

It's not as if you'd have to do it continuously, just when the alarm tells you the
water has risen again; then pump it dry again. There's lots of water storage under
the floor before the well is full again.
--
Ron Hardin

Childfree Scott

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

What's your definition of a "regular" bike rider?
I'm thinking that a regular bike rider would mostly likey give up in
the first 15 minutes. A strong rider might be able to do it.
Ron Hardin

Childfree Scott wrote:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

What's your definition of a "regular" bike rider?
I'm thinking that a regular bike rider would mostly likey give up in
the first 15 minutes. A strong rider might be able to do it.

Say you commute by bike every day. It takes some practice but is not
unusual given that you do.
--
Ron Hardin

m Ransley

Like you are going to want to ride that bike everytime the alarm goes
off, at 3 am. Look into watermain powered pumps , Basepump,or Zoeller.

Andy Asberry

On Wed, 04 Aug 2004 23:14:13 GMT, Ron Hardin
wrote:

Is there a bicycle powered water pump available? A simple way to keep
the basement dry when the power goes off, if so.

I can't find any. It ought to be simple though.

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Easily? During the Tour de France, a commentator remarked that Lance
Armstrong could produce 400 watts. He didn't say for how long, but it
left me with the impression that 400 was very impressive. Keep in mind
I don't even own a bicycle.

As a side note; Armstrong made me proud to be an American. Not just
for his cycling skill but his self control. The first time one of
those oh-so-civil Frenchies spit on me, I would have had to stop and
punch some manners into him.
Ron Hardin

Andy Asberry wrote:
A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Easily? During the Tour de France, a commentator remarked that Lance
Armstrong could produce 400 watts. He didn't say for how long, but it
left me with the impression that 400 was very impressive. Keep in mind
I don't even own a bicycle.

As a side note; Armstrong made me proud to be an American. Not just
for his cycling skill but his self control. The first time one of
those oh-so-civil Frenchies spit on me, I would have had to stop and
punch some manners into him.

I heard 600. There's some variation in what the right figure is, and
what normal bike rider is, but it's up high enough to move volumes
of water comparable to a sump pump.

The trick is pacing, incidentally; running always _just_ below what would
wear you out, rather than randomly above and way below, which is what
a novice does, and burns himself out on. Which is where regular
practice comes in more than muscle.
--
Ron Hardin

jriegle

"JerryMouse" wrote in message
Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ron Hardin writes:

[...]

There are a lot of square meters on a roof top. The problem is conversion
efficiency and the cost of the equipment. Energy would have to be stored for
night and cloudy days (batteries).
John

JerryMouse

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Likewise those who think the country can be run by sunbeams. There's
only 700 watts/sq meter of sunlight falling on the surface of the
earth. At the equator. At noon. With no clouds. The ONLY way to
increase that number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the
sun.

Or you could employ a really BIG lens or mirror. G

10 sq meters of a mirror or 10 sq meters of photovolactic cells. Same area.

If you do all the computations, you'll find that a solar collector farm the
size of the Los Angeles basin (1200 sq miles) would be sufficient to power
California. All the people remaining in Los Angeles would, unfortunately, be
in the dark.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Jeff Wisnia

JerryMouse wrote:

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

Likewise those who think the country can be run by sunbeams. There's
only 700 watts/sq meter of sunlight falling on the surface of the
earth. At the equator. At noon. With no clouds. The ONLY way to
increase that number is to move the orbit of the earth closer to the
sun.

Or you could employ a really BIG lens or mirror. G

10 sq meters of a mirror or 10 sq meters of photovolactic cells. Same area.

You missed my point...A lens or curved mirror in space which was a few
times larger in diameter than the earth would be ANOTHER way to
"increase that number".....

It was a joke, son....ergo the G I added.

Jeff

If you do all the computations, you'll find that a solar collector farm the
size of the Los Angeles basin (1200 sq miles) would be sufficient to power
California. All the people remaining in Los Angeles would, unfortunately, be
in the dark.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

--
Jeff Wisnia (W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

schools"

Doug Miller

In article ,
says...
Richard J Kinch wrote:
Ron Hardin writes:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

[snip]
Reminds me of a friend who thought we would fly on bicycles some day,
it was just a matter of improving the mechanical efficiency. That he
couldn't run up a few flights of stairs without being exhausted
didn't seem to be a problem.

There *have* been a few flights of such aircraft already, you know.

Likewise those who think the country can be run by sunbeams. There's only
700 watts/sq meter of sunlight falling on the surface of the earth. At the
equator. At noon. With no clouds.

Not as far-fetched as it might seem, actually.

Electricity consumption in the United States is on the order of 4
trillion KwH annually. There are somewhat over 4000 hours of daylight in
a year (12 hr/day avg. * 365 days), so supplying this demand would
require the generation of roughly one billion Kw per hour of daylight.

Now suppose that 100 watts/sq meter of the incident sunlight could
actually be converted to electricity, on a year-round average. A big
supposition, perhaps, but bear with me.

To generate one billion Kw (one trillion watts) at 100 watts/sq meter
requires a collector array with an area of 10 billion square meters.

That's actually not as big as it sounds like at first, just square 100 Km
on a side.

Furthermore...

The total land area of the United States is approximately 9 *trillion*
square meters; thus, a collector array comprising only about one tenth of
one percent of the nation's land area could be sufficient to supply all
of its electricity needs.
Richard J Kinch

Doug Miller writes:

Reminds me of a friend who thought we would fly on bicycles some day,
it was just a matter of improving the mechanical efficiency. That he
couldn't run up a few flights of stairs without being exhausted
didn't seem to be a problem.

There *have* been a few flights of such aircraft already, you know.

Lean athletes in an agony of exertion pedaled around a track in a fragile
contraption. I suppose you too believe this will be perfected into a
flying bicycle for grandma someday?
Mikey S.

it will..as soon as granny lives on the moon, or MAYBE mars.

--

Mikey S.
http://www.mike721.com

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
.. .
.. I suppose you too believe this will be perfected into a
flying bicycle for grandma someday?

Doug Miller

In article , "Mikey S." wrote:
it will..as soon as granny lives on the moon, or MAYBE mars.

I don't think so.... human-powered aircraft won't work very well on Mars,
where the atmosphere is too thin to provide much lift.

And of course aircraft of any type won't work *at*all* on the Moon, where
there is *no* atmosphere. DUH!

Doug Miller

In article , Richard J Kinch wrote:
Doug Miller writes:

Reminds me of a friend who thought we would fly on bicycles some day,
it was just a matter of improving the mechanical efficiency. That he
couldn't run up a few flights of stairs without being exhausted
didn't seem to be a problem.

There *have* been a few flights of such aircraft already, you know.

Lean athletes in an agony of exertion pedaled around a track in a fragile
contraption. I suppose you too believe this will be perfected into a
flying bicycle for grandma someday?

Not likely, I admit -- but such machines *do* exist, and it's perhaps a bit
presumptive to suppose that we've already explored and exploited the limits of
such technology. It's still less than a century since heavier-than-air flight
was "known" to be impossible. :-)
Richard J Kinch

Doug Miller writes:

Not likely, I admit -- but such machines *do* exist, and it's perhaps
a bit presumptive to suppose that we've already explored and exploited
the limits of such technology. It's still less than a century since
heavier-than-air flight was "known" to be impossible. :-)

This is the bubble-headedness I speak of, that muscle power can do
anything, if we just have the right machines.
... ...

I think I missed something. Bicycle powered sump pump incase of power
failure. So the power goes out and the alarm goes off, so you run down
stairs and pedal your but off. Hey !! wait a minute . The power went off
,whats powering the alarm. Maybe you could rig up some kind of generator
powered by one of those hampster wheeles to power the alarm.

Bill

chuck yerkes

Furthermore...

The total land area of the United States is approximately 9 *trillion*
square meters; thus, a collector array comprising only about one tenth of
one percent of the nation's land area could be sufficient to supply all
of its electricity needs.

Of course if my grocery store and drug store and all the other stores
down town and in malls weren't FULLY LIT with 6 tube fluorescents on
24x7 and if houses didn't have a standing draw of 1kw or more even when
everything is "off" (see wall warts, fast-on TVs, computers that turn on
from a keyboard button push, etc, etc),
then maybe we'd pull a tad less power.

Working at a giant data center and wth billions of desktops, I'd love to
start to see computers come out for new users that weren't necessarily
FASTER (do we really need 3GHz desktops?), but more efficient.

We hire people and give them 600-1GHz desktops, but it's just 2002 tech.

The cost of a CRT vs. an LCD is equal when you count the costs of AC and
the extra power over a couple years.

Having worked on trading floors, money/square foot savings are also huge.

Stick a WattsUP meter on your TVs and other appliances and see what it
costs for them to be "off" for a month.

Hell, throw 4 PV panels on your roof with an 800 watt inverter, it will
reduce your power bill and pay for itself in around 8 years at the outside.
papapeng

On Thu, 05 Aug 2004 19:47:14 GMT, Andy Asberry
wrote:

A regular bike rider can easily put out 250w for hours, which ought
to keep ahead of a flood with lots of room for breaks.

Easily? During the Tour de France, a commentator remarked that Lance
Armstrong could produce 400 watts. He didn't say for how long, but it
left me with the impression that 400 was very impressive. Keep in mind
I don't even own a bicycle.

To put things in perspective Egyptian farmers still use the hand
cranked Archimedian screw to raise water for irrigation. Its made of
wood and is not an efficient machine. I haven't any idea how long the
farmer keeps at it. Hand cranking must be pretty tiresome. But the
method has been around for more than 2000 years and it gets the job
done.

As a side note; Armstrong made me proud to be an American. Not just
for his cycling skill but his self control. The first time one of
those oh-so-civil Frenchies spit on me, I would have had to stop and
punch some manners into him.

I think the spitter was a German fan of Ulrich something and the
whole idea was to upset Lance and screw up his concentration and
rhythm.

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ron Hardin, power out wrote:
Good question. The OP showed enormous patience if not excessive meekness in
the face of so many ignorant disrespectful replies, by people who mostly don't
know or care anything about the problem or possible solutions.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...mp-542835-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2017 3:14 PM, power out wrote:
replying to Ron Hardin, power out wrote:
Good question. The OP showed enormous patience if not excessive
meekness in
the face of so many ignorant disrespectful replies, by people who mostly
don't
know or care anything about the problem or possible solutions.

And you sir, are to be commended for waiting 13 years to comment. Most
people count to ten but you seem to have waited a bit longer to
ventilate and share your caring and sensitive feelings. Thank you for that.

I do have sad news though. The original poster lost his life in a
storm. One night the power went out and the basement started to flood
so he hopped on the bicycle and started pumping. he did well until
darkness came and it was time to feed the gerbils. He got off the bike,
fed the gerbils and on the way back to the bike, slipped in the water
and drowned. Thirty gerbils tried to rescue him but they too drowned as
they got cramps from going in the water after eating.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 2:14:07 PM UTC-5, power out wrote:
replying to Ron Hardin, power out wrote:
Good question. The OP showed enormous patience if not excessive meekness in
the face of so many ignorant disrespectful replies, by people who mostly don't
know or care anything about the problem or possible solutions.
--

You're too late, 13 years ago, the OP became so angry that he hunted down and disemboweled all those posters who replied to him. He has never been captured so beware the OP, he's still out there waiting for someone to reply to this thread and become his next victim. I'm hiding behind a proxy so he can't find me. What about you? Can you be tracked down? ヽ(ヅ)ノ

[8~{} Uncle Hidden Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 May 2017 15:37:21 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

And your Sir, are such a Diplomat. Praise be to you for reporting such
a tragedy in such polite and respectful manner.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default the Fifties are back, was: Bicycle Powered Sump Pump?

In Ed Pawlowski writes:

And you sir, are to be commended for waiting 13 years to comment. Most
people count to ten but you seem to have waited a bit longer to
ventilate and share your caring and sensitive feelings. Thank you for that.

I do have sad news though. The original poster lost his life in a
storm. One night the power went out and the basement started to flood
so he hopped on the bicycle and started pumping.

Youngsters. Ptfui.

A bicyle powered water pump (which could easly
be used as a sump pump) was a key plot
device in the novel "The Ugly American".

NOTE: while that term has become synonymous
with the US braggard who runs around the
"third world" bossing people and being
an asshole, in the actual book the "Ugly
American" was a good guy.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Ugly_American

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/2017 3:58 PM, Oren wrote:
[...]

Thank you, it is for the family in their time of sorrow.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/31/17 2:14 PM, power out wrote:
replying to Ron Hardin, power out wrote:
Good question. The OP showed enormous patience if not excessive
meekness in
the face of so many ignorant disrespectful replies, by people who mostly
don't
know or care anything about the problem or possible solutions.

Mr. Hardin is still pedaling. His efforts power radios of yesteryear
and his computer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 31 May 2017 20:49:23 -0500, Dean Hoffman
wrote:

His efforts power radios of yesteryear
and his computer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PkhMqes3p38.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, May 31, 2017 at 3:37:25 PM UTC-4, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
[...]

+1

While it's certainly possible, it's clearly not very practical,
for all the obvious reasons.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, June 1, 2017 at 11:57:35 AM UTC-4, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

Quite right. A bike would never work.

A rowing machine, on the other hand........................

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to danny burstein, power out again wrote:
An ordinary electric sump pump can lift five gallons of water nine feet in
under 20 seconds. That is an output of under 30 watts. An ordinary 15-speed
bike with a 26" wheel driving a 2" pulley could develop over 3000 rpm under a
light load, whereas sump pump motors run at about half that. Very doable, I
would think, depending on the pump efficiency. French drains can hold a lot
of water in the tiling, so a person wouldn't have to pedal as often as their
sump pump would normally run, which is to say that one could wait for hours or
even days and then pump many batches at a single pedaling session. In an
extended power failure, human-powered pumping might be the only practical
method. In rural areas, an ice storm can put the power out for weeks. The
cost of the setup would be the main or only deterrent for me.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...mp-542835-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Ed Pawlowski, power out again wrote:
I'm thinking maybe you should be policing the expiration dates in the dairy
department of your Kroger store about now. :-)

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...mp-542835-.htm