DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Demagnetize tool (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/638443-demagnetize-tool.html)

A K August 4th 19 06:50 AM

Demagnetize tool

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Bill[_91_] August 4th 19 08:04 AM

Demagnetize tool

A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.

Xeno August 4th 19 10:40 AM

Demagnetize tool

On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've used
them before with some degree of success on tools like screwdrivers. They
work on the principle of a reducing AC current with its associated
magnetic field.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Art Todesco August 4th 19 11:51 AM

Demagnetize tool

On 8/4/2019 5:40 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've used
them before with some degree of success on tools like screwdrivers. They
work on the principle of a reducing AC current with its associated
magnetic field.

Or, a bulk tape eraser. Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tape%20erasers

croy August 4th 19 04:05 PM

Demagnetize tool

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 22:50:38 -0700 (PDT), A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.
https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you have a soldering gun...

Energize the gun and slowly move each tip of the vise grips in and out of the loop of the
soldering gun tip.

--
croy

Xeno August 4th 19 04:39 PM

Demagnetize tool

On 4/8/19 8:51 pm, Art Todesco wrote:
On 8/4/2019 5:40 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've
used them before with some degree of success on tools like
screwdrivers. They work on the principle of a reducing AC current with
its associated magnetic field.

Or, a bulk tape eraser.Â* Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tape%20erasers

Yep, that would probably work even better given the very large size.

trader_4 August 4th 19 05:24 PM

Demagnetize tool

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 11:05:19 AM UTC-4, croy wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 22:50:38 -0700 (PDT), A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.
https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you have a soldering gun...

Energize the gun and slowly move each tip of the vise grips in and out of the loop of the
soldering gun tip.

--
croy

Must be a hell of a big soldering gun or a very small vice grip for
that to work.

[email protected] August 4th 19 05:25 PM

Demagnetize tool

wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you still have something around with a big transformer, laying the
pliers on the yoke will do it. A doorbell transformer may work but the
bigger the better.

A K August 5th 19 08:29 AM

Demagnetize tool

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 2:04:28 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.

I will try it.

I have a Benzomatic propane unit.

Andy

mickey_4 August 5th 19 11:00 AM

Demagnetize tool

On 8/4/19 1:50 AM, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Spray them with the original formula WD-40 and let the WD-40 soak into the metal for a few hours.

Ralph Mowery August 5th 19 02:52 PM

Demagnetize tool

In article ,
says...

Heat it up.

I will try it.

I have a Benzomatic propane unit.

Andy

You will have to heat it to about 1500 deg F. This may be hot enough to
take the temper out.

Look up Curie temperature for details.

Fred McKenzie August 5th 19 04:57 PM

Demagnetize tool

A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.

I will try it.

I have a Benzomatic propane unit.

Use a soldering gun. Replace the tip with a loop of heavy copper wire.
Pass the tool through the loop several times.

Fred