Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

Default Demagnetize tool

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV
Posted to alt.home.repair

A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've used
them before with some degree of success on tools like screwdrivers. They
work on the principle of a reducing AC current with its associated
magnetic field.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/2019 5:40 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've used
them before with some degree of success on tools like screwdrivers. They
work on the principle of a reducing AC current with its associated
magnetic field.

Or, a bulk tape eraser. Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tape%20erasers
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 22:50:38 -0700 (PDT), A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.
https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you have a soldering gun...

Energize the gun and slowly move each tip of the vise grips in and out of the loop of the
soldering gun tip.

--
croy

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 4/8/19 8:51 pm, Art Todesco wrote:
On 8/4/2019 5:40 AM, Xeno wrote:
On 4/8/19 3:50 pm, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Hunt up one of the old cassette tape head demagnetising tools. I've
used them before with some degree of success on tools like
screwdrivers. They work on the principle of a reducing AC current with
its associated magnetic field.

Or, a bulk tape eraser.Â* Like these:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw...tape%20erasers

Yep, that would probably work even better given the very large size.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 11:05:19 AM UTC-4, croy wrote:
On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 22:50:38 -0700 (PDT), A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.
https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you have a soldering gun...

Energize the gun and slowly move each tip of the vise grips in and out of the loop of the
soldering gun tip.

--
croy

Must be a hell of a big soldering gun or a very small vice grip for
that to work.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

If you still have something around with a big transformer, laying the
pliers on the yoke will do it. A doorbell transformer may work but the
bigger the better.
Posted to alt.home.repair
A K A K is offline

On Sunday, August 4, 2019 at 2:04:28 AM UTC-5, Bill wrote:
A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.

I will try it.

I have a Benzomatic propane unit.

Andy
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/4/19 1:50 AM, A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Spray them with the original formula WD-40 and let the WD-40 soak into the metal for a few hours.

Posted to alt.home.repair

A K wrote:

I am trying to demagnetize this vise grips.

I tried the method where you hit it with a hammer, but it does not work.

https://imgur.com/a/LrrnOEV

Heat it up.

I will try it.

I have a Benzomatic propane unit.

Use a soldering gun. Replace the tip with a loop of heavy copper wire.
Pass the tool through the loop several times.

Fred