Posted to alt.home.repair

Default AC outlets and breakers

Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same breaker
without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 1:36:54 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same breaker
without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

They have testers to locate breakers, where you plug a widget into the
receptacle and it injects a signal that the handheld tester then can
sniff at the panel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

trader_4 wrote in
:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 1:36:54 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same
breaker without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

They have testers to locate breakers, where you plug a widget into the
receptacle and it injects a signal that the handheld tester then can
sniff at the panel.

Interesting. Never heard of this. Will research it. Thanks much!

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 2:06:03 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
trader_4 wrote in
:

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 1:36:54 PM UTC-4, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same
breaker without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

They have testers to locate breakers, where you plug a widget into the
receptacle and it injects a signal that the handheld tester then can
sniff at the panel.

Interesting. Never heard of this. Will research it. Thanks much!

It's one of those things that once in a while you could use to make
things easier, but then you forget about it and probably not worth
what it costs unless you're going to use it regularly. Still, I guess
it might be worth it just to label all the breakers, something I always
intended to do, but never have. Wonder if Harbor Freight has a cheap one?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2019 1:36 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same breaker
without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Bite the bullet and map out and label all circuits, outlets, lights and appliances.

It sounds like an enormous task but it's not as bad as you might think.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/19 4:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

None at H-F or H-D
Amazon has several choices with much better reviews than the Lowes unit

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=ac+tracer...f=nb_sb_noss_1
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2019 4:35 PM, Smitty wrote:
On 8/2/2019 1:36 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same
breaker
without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Bite the bullet and map out and label all circuits, outlets, lights and
appliances.

It sounds like an enormous task but it's not as bad as you might think.

That's the route I took. I used graph paper and drew a layout of my home
on each floor, then added switch and light symbols. Made copies and keep
one set at the panel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Aug 2019 14:32:59 -0400, Ralph Mowery
wrote:

In article ,
says...

They have testers to locate breakers, where you plug a widget into the
receptacle and it injects a signal that the handheld tester then can
sniff at the panel.

Interesting. Never heard of this. Will research it. Thanks much!

I don't know how well this one will work, but here is an example.

https://www.lowes.com/pd/Southwire-A...-Gfci/50133086

I want one. I wish I had a use for it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Aug 2019 16:42:59 -0400,
wrote:

On 8/2/19 4:28 PM, trader_4 wrote:
[...]

The one for 30 dollars is a lot like the Lowes for 49, but it doesn't
autmoatically adjust sensitivity. Doing it manually could end up
causing one to have to scan more than twice (I'm assuming the autmoatic
one actually works well.)

https://www.amazon.com/Extech-CB10-C...&s=hi& sr=1-4

In the closeup of the part that plugs in, it includes the 3-led tester
and it has an indication for hot and ground reversed, and hot and
neutral reversed, but not one for neutral and ground reversed.

I guess that is because there is no way to tell without looking?

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Fri, 2 Aug 2019 16:35:50 -0400, Smitty
wrote:

On 8/2/2019 1:36 PM, KenK wrote:
Is there any way to check to see if two AC outlets are on the same breaker
without flipping breakers on and off?

Probably not but couldn't hurt to ask.

TIA

Bite the bullet and map out and label all circuits, outlets, lights and appliances.

It sounds like an enormous task but it's not as bad as you might think.

If no friend is available, plug a radio into an outlet to be checked and
turn the volume all the way up so you can hear it at the fuse box.