Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Handheld Propane Torch Cylinder Disposal

Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

--
Say what you will about The South but no one retires and moves up north€¦
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 31, 2019 at 1:08:29 PM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

--
Say what you will about The South but no one retires and moves up north€¦

Maybe some of the environmentalists can tell you if it's better to burn
off the propane or let it escape. I guess it depends on how rusted they
are. Is it really substantial or just cosmetic? If it's not badly rusted
you could ask around if someone wants them for free. But if there is any
doubt, better to use your idea.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/19 1:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

Yeah, silly me- posting a home repair question in the home repair
newsgroup- then being surprised at not one single response in three days ;-)

Maybe I should have asked instead if it would make me a Trump-supporting
gay-bashing racist hater if I let the gas out of the cylinder.

After all, I once saw two black guys walking down my street holding
hands. What did I do? I scooped up my grand kids from the front yard and
brought them inside for a half-hour of bible study, a firearms safety
demonstration and a lecture on the importance of taking personal
responsibility and the wonders of capitalism...
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2019 8:17 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/31/19 1:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get
rid of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load
on them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended
disposal method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on
the partially used one in the back yard and letting all the propane
escape, then screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the
same.

Better ideas?

Yeah, silly me- posting a home repair question in the home repair
newsgroup- then being surprised at not one single response in three days
;-)

Maybe I should have asked instead if it would make me a Trump-supporting
gay-bashing racist hater if I let the gas out of the cylinder.

After all, I once saw two black guys walking down my street holding
hands. What did I do? I scooped up my grand kids from the front yard and
brought them inside for a half-hour of bible study, a firearms safety
demonstration and a lecture on the importance of taking personal
responsibility and the wonders of capitalism...

I'm sure a lot of us thought about it but had no good solid answer.
There is not a lot of pressure in these tanks and I might try to salvage
them by cleaning up and putting on rust resistant paint.

We try to be on topic here but it is hard not to respond to some of the
crazies.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2019 7:17 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
[...]

Â* I also have just about given up on this group . Too many nasty haters
posting political **** . Anyway , to answer your question , sure you can
just vent them to air . Won't hurt a thing . BUT if you look , the part
that's rusty may just be the "cap" they added to the bottom of some
older tanks so they'd stand up .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Friday, August 2, 2019 at 8:17:55 AM UTC-4, Wade Garrett wrote:
On 7/31/19 1:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

Yeah, silly me- posting a home repair question in the home repair
newsgroup- then being surprised at not one single response in three days ;-)

Part of the problem is on your end. I posted a reply within hours and
I see it.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/2019 10:08 AM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

Here, I'd take them to my local haz-waste center, or just post them on
freecycle for someone else that would use them up quickly.

Certainly, do NOT just release the gas. At least, use the torch head to
burn off the gas cleanly. Just like the new gas cans, releasing the
petro products to the environment is not desirable.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Wade Garrett" wrote in message
On 7/31/19 1:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

Yeah, silly me- posting a home repair question in the home repair
newsgroup- then being surprised at not one single response in three days
;-)

You must have a problem with your feed or have killfiled those who did
respond.

Maybe I should have asked instead if it would make me a Trump-
supporting gay-bashing racist hater if I let the gas out of the cylinder.

After all, I once saw two black guys walking down my street holding hands.
What did I do? I scooped up my grand kids from the front yard and brought
them inside for a half-hour of bible study, a firearms safety
demonstration and a lecture on the importance of taking personal
responsibility and the wonders of capitalism...

I'd have you publicly whipped if you hadn't so obviously enjoyed
that the last time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

In fact a few small cylinders like that are an irrelevant fart in the bath.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default UNBELIEVABLE: It's 03:39 am in Australia ...and the Senile Troll is out of Bed and Trolling, ALREADY! LMAO

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 03:39:21 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the usual senile troll****

03:39 am in Australia? AGAIN? So, for how long have you been out of bed and
trolling on Usenet ALREADY, you brain damaged senile idiot?

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 03:52:29 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Here, I'd take them to my local haz-waste center, or just post them on
freecycle for someone else that would use them up quickly.

Certainly, do NOT just release the gas. At least, use the torch head to
burn off the gas cleanly. Just like the new gas cans, releasing the petro
products to the environment is not desirable.

In fact a few small cylinders like that are an irrelevant fart in the bath.

You just HAD to auto-contradict again, you clinically insane senile asshole
from Oz! tsk

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Wade Garrett posted for all of us...

[...]

I did not reply because I had no good answer. YOU could call bernzomatic and
ask them or call Rich Trethewey or your local recycling center or a plumber.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 8/2/2019 10:52 AM, Rod Speed wrote:

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

You are right. Idiots do ignore any sense of responsibility for their
actions.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

No responsibility for that action given that vastly more
of that particular gas gets released when its mined.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 3 Aug 2019 14:48:23 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

You are right. Idiots do ignore any sense of responsibility for their
actions.

No responsibility for that action given that vastly more
of that particular gas gets released when its mined.

SOURCE ...other than your senile head that keeps producing this kind of
bull**** ad hoc, you senile bull**** artist? BG

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/19 12:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

This is what one manufacturer says:
https://www.bernzomatic.com/About-Bernzomatic/CylinderSafe
It says contact your local solid waste disposal facility.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, August 3, 2019 at 10:18:06 AM UTC-4, Dean Hoffman wrote:
On 7/31/19 12:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the
garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid
of them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on
them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially
used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

This is what one manufacturer says:
https://www.bernzomatic.com/About-Bernzomatic/CylinderSafe
It says contact your local solid waste disposal facility.

For many people, that would be the woods behind Bubba's house, usually
owned by someone else.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/31/19 1:08 PM, Wade Garrett wrote:
Got some really old 14 ounce handheld propane torch cylinders in the garage that are starting to rust out on the bottom and I need to get rid of
them. Two are unused and full, one is partially used.

While it would be fun to take them out in the woods and lock and load on them from a safe distance, that's probably not the recommended disposal
method. I was thinking of just opening the burner valve on the partially used one in the back yard and letting all the propane escape, then
screwing the burner in to each of the others and do the same.

Better ideas?

Get a propane cannon and annoy your bird-hugger neighbors.

https://www.amazon.com/Good-Life-Inc.../dp/B07DTNNJR9
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

Your attitude is the problem. Certainly, the oil industry has that
problem big time.

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bob F" wrote in message
[...]

Nope, yours is.

Certainly, the oil industry has that problem big time.

And so does the gas industry.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Cantankerous Senile Ozzie Troll Disposal

On Sun, 4 Aug 2019 16:05:20 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile Ozzie troll's troll****

cretin from Oz: