DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Refreezing steaks (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/638167-refreezing-steaks.html)

[email protected] July 29th 19 11:29 AM

Refreezing steaks

I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

Frank[_24_] July 29th 19 12:05 PM

Refreezing steaks

On 7/29/2019 6:29 AM, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

I've done it many times when they were still cold but thawed.

trader_4 July 29th 19 12:12 PM

Refreezing steaks

On Monday, July 29, 2019 at 6:30:01 AM UTC-4, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

Sure. It's not ideal, they probably degrade in quality a little each
time that's done, but they are perfectly safe as long as they didn't
get above 40F for any length of time.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] July 29th 19 03:08 PM

Refreezing steaks

On 7/29/2019 6:29 AM, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

You can, but depending on how much they thawed you will loose some
quality. The first freeze caused some rupture of cells and loss of the
juices, the second can be worse.

I'd consider cooking them in the next day or two or grinding them and
make a meatloaf.

Rod Speed July 29th 19 06:36 PM

Refreezing steaks

wrote

I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed.
Can I refreeze them

Yep. They'll be fine.

and if not why not?

Peeler[_4_] July 29th 19 06:50 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Tue, 30 Jul 2019 03:36:06 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

wrote

I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed.
Can I refreeze them

Yep. They'll be fine.

He got three answers like that already, senile Rodent! Just what in hell
makes you believe anyone's answer will only be valid when YOU confirm it,
you self-opinionated, self-important, 85-year-old, senile pest?

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

catalpa July 30th 19 02:36 AM

Refreezing steaks

wrote in message
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze
them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

Cook them and eat them. What are you saving them for?

Oren[_2_] July 30th 19 06:32 PM

Refreezing steaks

On Mon, 29 Jul 2019 10:08:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 7/29/2019 6:29 AM, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

You can, but depending on how much they thawed you will loose some
quality. The first freeze caused some rupture of cells and loss of the
juices, the second can be worse.

I'd consider cooking them in the next day or two or grinding them and
make a meatloaf.

This is the best answer. Freezing the meat a second time will likely
further damage. The ice crystals will be bigger. imo

Hawk July 30th 19 07:18 PM

Refreezing steaks

On 7/29/2019 6:29 AM, wrote:
I have a freezer that lost power and 6 ribeye steaks thawed. Can I refreeze them and if not why not? Thanx for a reply.

You can, but depending on how much they thawed you will loose some
quality. The first freeze caused some rupture of cells and loss of the
juices, the second can be worse.

I'd consider cooking them in the next day or two or grinding them and
make a meatloaf.

This is the best answer. Freezing the meat a second time will likely
further damage. The ice crystals will be bigger. imo

I concur. There will me some loss of quality due to moisture loss. If
the meat thawed to room temperature, there is a risk of e-coli that may
have settled.