Posted to alt.home.repair

Default wiper blades

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 00:42:13 -0600, Raphael
wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

The whole topic annoys me. They used to sell just the rubber blades
with the metal ring around them. Now they insist on the whole mechanism
short of the arm. Just a way to squeeze more money out of us, I think.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Raphael wrote:
How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

Strictly price. The ones at Auto Parts store are much more, and I see no
particular advantage.

Greg
Posted to alt.home.repair

Raphael wrote

How do you know a good wiper blade

Last longer than the bad ones.

(or are they all the same?).

Nope.

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

Last longer, but thats not easy to know when buying them.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

The whole topic annoys me. They used to sell just the rubber blades

They still do.

with the metal ring around them. Now they insist
on the whole mechanism short of the arm.

Wrong.

Just a way to squeeze more money out of us, I think.

My latest were cheaper with the whole thing than just the rubber blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH troll's troll****

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:42:10 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Nope.

LOL Hey, senile asshole, how about using THAT word as your nym, you
clinically insane auto-contradictor?

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 27/7/19 4:42 pm, Raphael wrote:
How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

Longevity and efficiency are key and you can't sense that by holding it
in your hands.

Cheap wiper blades will be too stiff and definitely will be rapidly
degraded by sunlight.

Cheap blades will lack UV resistance and you will be lucky to have them
last a year or two. They will also be harder and less flexible. That
means they will not roll correctly in operation. That will cause all
sorts of issues including poor wiping and noise.

My advice, by OEM blades or high quality aftermarket. Don't waste your
money on cheap **** - it is, after all, your visibility in adverse
conditions that is at stake here.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).
Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.
Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

My wiper blades don't last long enough to determine if they are
good or bad - parked outside in the snow & ice & sleet for about
5 months is what destroys them - scraping the windshield and
causing collateral damage ...
Many of my neighbours have started leaving their wipers in the
upright position when they park it during the winter months.
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2019 2:42 AM, Raphael wrote:
How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

Choose the better ones from Trico or Rain-X. Don't bother with the
cheap ones. The more expensive ones do perform better and last longer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/26/2019 11:42 PM, Raphael wrote:
How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

I look for a homeless guy to do my windows.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/19 2:42 AM, Raphael wrote:
How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

I buy the correct rubber inserts, not the whole blade, from the dealer-
Toyota and Honda for my last few cars- and install them myself.

Just takes a few minutes to pull out the old ones and slip in the new
ones. My experience the last 20+ years is that while they cost a bit
more than the ones I used to purchase from the big box or auto supply
stores, they last far longer and do a much better job. Many dealers sell
discount OEM parts on their websites these days too.

Before you replace just the rubber insert though, check your existing
metal frames to make sure they're not damaged, bent (especially the
little fingers) or worn. I'd replace the whole OEM blade if they are.

--
Ever notice the shortage of "armed law-abiding citizen victim tragedy
stories in the news?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 21:15:17 +1000 :

[...]

Yes but.

The whole question is how to tell a "too stiff" wiper blade that "lacks UV
resistance" that is "harder" and "less flexible" such that it will not
"roll correctly" in operation, causing "poor wiping and noise?"

How does one know a "high quality aftermarket" from one that is not when
it's in your hands at the department store where one 14 inch blade costs $4
and another one costs $18 at that store and you have both in your hands?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2019 1:26 PM, Raphael wrote:

How does one know a "high quality aftermarket" from one that is not when
it's in your hands at the department store where one 14 inch blade costs $4
and another one costs $18 at that store and you have both in your hands?

You'se read the info on the package and make a value judgement based on
it and what you think you know of the particular manufacturer...

You can also actually feel the blade material and see if can judge
anything from it--I've seen some of the no-name imports that actually
are already hard new in the box...

What irritates me even more is the automobile manufacturer using some
exotic mounting arrangement that none of the aftermarket adapters will
actually fit correctly...they may come close, but not correctly.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/27/2019 2:26 PM, Raphael wrote:

My advice, by OEM blades or high quality aftermarket. Don't waste your
money on cheap **** - it is, after all, your visibility in adverse
conditions that is at stake here.

Yes but.

The whole question is how to tell a "too stiff" wiper blade that "lacks UV
resistance" that is "harder" and "less flexible" such that it will not
"roll correctly" in operation, causing "poor wiping and noise?"

How does one know a "high quality aftermarket" from one that is not when
it's in your hands at the department store where one 14 inch blade costs $4
and another one costs $18 at that store and you have both in your hands?

Unless you are a chemist and familiar with the material, you just have
to trust the old "get what you pay for" routine.

Doubt many of us have a Durometer to check..I never had a premium brand
blade go bad on me, but I did have cheap ones not last long. Do you
want to take a chance to find out if the cheapo is going to work in a
downpour?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 14:49:40 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

[...]

I just keep a spare set in my car under the seat (the coolest, darkest
space) and replace them every couple years rotating my stock.
The way it rains here, nobody wants to have shaky wipers and the sun
is murder on them, no matter what you paid.
I have been buying Michelins at Costco but the last time I was there
they had another brand. I do know throwing the whole blade assembly is
faster than screwing with the refills if you are doing it in the rain.
;-)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

The whole topic annoys me. They used to sell just the rubber blades

They still do.

Not at Pep Boys, Advance, or the other A- store.

with the metal ring around them. Now they insist
on the whole mechanism short of the arm.

Wrong.

Just a way to squeeze more money out of us, I think.

My latest were cheaper with the whole thing than just the rubber blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).
Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.
Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

My wiper blades don't last long enough to determine if they are
good or bad - parked outside in the snow & ice & sleet for about
5 months is what destroys them - scraping the windshield and
causing collateral damage ...
Many of my neighbours have started leaving their wipers in the
upright position when they park it during the winter months.
John T.

That keeps them from freezing to the windshield, but you can unfreeze
them by pouring water on them. Water straight from the tap seems best
to me. Hot water might break the windshield?

I'll let you experiment with pouring water over your wipers in
-20 -30 C. degree weather ... I'll pass on that "advice".
John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 27 Jul 2019 16:34:09 -0400, micky
wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

The whole topic annoys me. They used to sell just the rubber blades

They still do.

Not at Pep Boys, Advance, or the other A- store.

with the metal ring around them. Now they insist
on the whole mechanism short of the arm.

Wrong.

Just a way to squeeze more money out of us, I think.

My latest were cheaper with the whole thing than just the rubber blades.

I just checked EVERY parts supplier in Kitchener/Waterloo
metropolitan area and NONE have the rubber blde replacements available
- either in store or from their suppliers. Can't even get them from
Trico any more.

5 years ago? yes. 3 years - mabee. Today?? NOPE
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I haven't seen them for a while either and when I did see them a while
ago they were cheap crap that was hard in the package (Maybe old
stock)
Posted to alt.home.repair

"micky" wrote in message
In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..
wrote:

How do you know a good wiper blade (or are they all the same?).

Picked up three sets of wiper bladess recently which was harder than
you'd
think because prices for any one length were from $4 to $18 each.

Since the wiper blade can be put in our hands, what do you look for?

The whole topic annoys me. They used to sell just the rubber blades

They still do.

Not at Pep Boys, Advance, or the other A- store.

Then you need to go elsewhere or get real radical and get
them online. Amazon, ebay and aliexpress all have them.

with the metal ring around them. Now they insist
on the whole mechanism short of the arm.

Wrong.

Just a way to squeeze more money out of us, I think.

My latest were cheaper with the whole thing than just the rubber blades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Plenty on ebay, amazon, aliexpress.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/27/2019 07:44 PM, Clare Snyder wrote:
I just checked EVERY parts supplier in Kitchener/Waterloo
metropolitan area and NONE have the rubber blde replacements available
- either in store or from their suppliers. Can't even get them from
Trico any more.

5 years ago? yes. 3 years - mabee. Today?? NOPE

https://www.amazon.com/Trico-47-800-...=fsclp_pl_dp_7

How many did you want? The local O'reily and NAPA store also show them
in stock. For the price difference I use the Trico complete blades.
Unless you buy Bosch, which must be gold plated, Trico or ANCO blades
for my car are under $10. Note: I don't buy high performance neo-form
teflon versions, just the standard blades that I've used for decades.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

m...
wrote:

[...]

6mm frameless rubbers won't fit MOST of the older re-fillable
wipers - and a whole lot of the "non refillables" either. There's a
reason you can only buy them on-line
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/27/2019 02:40 PM, micky wrote:
That keeps them from freezing to the windshield, but you can unfreeze
them by pouring water on them. Water straight from the tap seems best
to me. Hot water might break the windshield?

I keep a spray bottle filled with drug store rubbing alcohol. Works
wonders and is cheaper that the commercial deicers.

Do any of you in the USA find refills for sale? I can't. (except maybe
mail order and the last two times I needed new wipers were when I bought
a new car and had to pass inspection. Don't want to wait for mail

I haven't physically verified it but most parts stores in town plus
Walmart claim they have Trico refills in stock.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

In alt.home.repair, on Sat, 27 Jul 2019 18:45:00 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

om...
wrote:

[...]

It's a lie that you can only buy them online.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28/7/19 4:26 am, Raphael wrote:
[...]

Pay the money. Someone else mentioned buying from the dealer or from a
reputable maker - usually one that will put their name on OEM parts. Be
aware that some cheap Chinese brands use very similar names.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 28/7/19 4:45 am, dpb wrote:
On 7/27/2019 1:26 PM, Raphael wrote:

How does one know a "high quality aftermarket" from one that is not when
it's in your hands at the department store where one 14 inch blade
costs $4
and another one costs $18 at that store and you have both in your hands?

You'se read the info on the package and make a value judgement based on
it and what you think you know of the particular manufacturer...

You can also actually feel the blade material and see if can judge
anything from it--I've seen some of the no-name imports that actually
are already hard new in the box...

Yep, been there, seen that.

What irritates me even more is the automobile manufacturer using some
exotic mounting arrangement that none of the aftermarket adapters will
actually fit correctly...they may come close, but not correctly.

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:18:24 +1000, Swer, better known as cantankerous

Plenty on ebay, amazon, aliexpress.

You may shove all three of those up yours, senile asshole!

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 13:48:53 +1000, Swer, better known as cantankerous

6mm frameless rubbers won't fit MOST of the older re-fillable
wipers - and a whole lot of the "non refillables" either. There's a
reason you can only buy them on-line

It's a lie that you can only buy them online.

No, it isn't, senile asshole troll!

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 12:37:07 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Then you need to go elsewhere or get real radical and get
them online. Amazon, ebay and aliexpress all have them.

Someone needs to get REAL radical and hit you with a baseball bat across
your senile big gob, Australian troll!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Still can get them here. Had a look at a couple of places online wiper
blade refills from Trico, Tridon, Bosch readily available as direct fit
or universal.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Posted to alt.home.repair

Xeno posted:

Pay the money. Someone else mentioned buying from the dealer or from a
reputable maker - usually one that will put their name on OEM parts. Be
aware that some cheap Chinese brands use very similar names.

Most wiper blades are likely the same product in different packages.

When I took marketing in school they taught us to create at least three
different packages for the same product, and charge at least three
different prices.

That way we'd get our product to everyone by including those who are most
affected by marketing where we make the most profit, and also by including
those who just want the product, where we STILL make a profit (wiper blades
likely cost less than a buck to make, market, and disseminate).

We make most of the profit on the middle people since there are more of
them who will not want the least expensive but who won't opt for the most
expensive either.

In the end, it's the same product in all cases (with packaging
differences).
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Have you actually tried to buy them locally????

I did. Spent better than 7 hours canvassing every auto parts supplier
in Kitchener/Waterloo/Guelph/Cambridge/Elmira area - all said the same
- they have not been able to source them for over 3 years. They had a
few (of the wrong size for virtually anything still on the road)
gathering dust in a corner - and if you wanted more than what they had
in stock you were out of luck. Had enough trouble even finding
stainless steel wiper blade assemblies - only "universal" black
plastic stuff

It MAY be that they are available in the USA but not available in
Canada because the suppliers won't label them as required for import
to Canada (English and French) since Trico closed down manufacturing
in Canada a few years back
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 28 Jul 2019 09:52:37 -0500, Jean Fredette
wrote:

Xeno posted:

[...]

In today's world you are more likely to get 3 different products in
essentially the same package. The real thing, clone #1 and clone #2 -
with varying discrepancy in quality - sometimes pretty darn close -and
in others no comparison.
Posted to alt.home.repair

INSTEAD OF GETTING A LOAN,, I GOT SOMETHING NEW
Get $5,500 USD every day, for six months!

See how it works
Do you know you can hack into any ATM machine with a hacked ATM card??
Make up you mind before applying, straight deal...

Order for a blank ATM card now and get millions within a week!: contact us
via email }

We have specially programmed ATM cards that can be use to hack ATM
machines, the ATM cards can be used to withdraw at the ATM or swipe, at
stores and POS. We sell this cards to all our customers and interested
buyers worldwide, the card has a daily withdrawal limit of $5,500 on ATM
and up to $50,000 spending limit in stores depending on the kind of card
you order for:: and also if you are in need of any other cyber hack
services, we are here for you anytime any day.

Here is our price lists for the ATM CARDS:

Cards that withdraw $5,500 per day costs $200 USD
Cards that withdraw $10,000 per day costs $850 USD
Cards that withdraw $35,000 per day costs $2,200 USD
Cards that withdraw $50,000 per day costs $5,500 USD
Cards that withdraw $100,000 per day costs $8,500 USD

make up your mind before applying, straight deal!!!

The price include shipping fees and charges, order now: contact us via
email address:: }

Visit our Website for more Info: https://automatictellers.webs.com
®

Wiper motor Gib Bogle[_4_] UK diy 16 June 7th 12 01:43 AM
windshield wiper misses glass for the middle ~3 inches. David Combs Home Repair 47 January 22nd 09 02:14 PM
re problem when replacing cartridge wiper blade in Canon PC-10, etc. or CX laserprinters W. Curtiss Priest Electronics Repair 0 April 6th 07 03:59 PM
OT - windshield wiper blade refills? Grant Erwin Metalworking 12 March 23rd 06 05:26 PM
Wiper Inserts for face milling brass Robert Salasidis Metalworking 36 April 1st 05 05:28 AM