Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside temperature sensor housing

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Can you just mount it under an eave? In my last house I put it under
the deck that is 8' off the ground.

My new system is Accurite and the outdoor system is mounted on a piece
of 1" emt I drove into the ground. Of course it measures rain so no
need for a cover.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Tekkie® wrote

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs
to be open to the air but not allow rain in. It also needs
to be able to pass the radio signal to the inside receiver.

Really depends on how close you want to get to the temperature
you would get with a proper stevenson screen. Those are quite
large because they need to hold the other instruments read
manually and to hold the ones with a chart recorder.

They are white painted wood slats.

You can get pretty close with white insulated plastic with some
way of letting the air flow thru it. Or a small electric fan.

There are plenty that are buyable with varying design quality.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/19 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

The outside temp-only sensor on my last 2 units was made to be mounted
outside as-is. No cover called for. Full Rust Belt 4 season weather.
One Radio Shack, one LaCrosse
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Yah every time I find a nice shady spot to mount the sensor, an hour later the damn Sun moves and the sensor is back in direct sunlight.Â* ;-)

FWIW, don't waste your money on one of these because they don't work very well at shielding the Sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M64ISDE

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted on top of aÂ* 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Outside temperature sensor housing - more

On 7/22/19 5:18 PM, wrote:
On 7/22/19 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio
signal to
the inside receiver.

The outside temp-only sensor on my last 2 units was made to be mounted
outside as-is. No cover called for. Full Rust Belt 4 season weather.
One Radio Shack, one LaCrosse

Having said that, I see LaCrosse sells covers
https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9...weather-shield
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 07:17:05 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

There are plenty that are buyable with varying design quality.

He wanted to MAKE one not "Buy" one, senile wisenheimer!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bod F" wrote in message
On 7/22/2019 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal
the inside receiver.

Yah every time I find a nice shady spot to mount the sensor, an hour later
the damn Sun moves and the sensor is back in direct sunlight. ;-)

FWIW, don't waste your money on one of these because they don't work very
well at shielding the Sun.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01M64ISDE

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted on top
of a 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Rain does not hurt the one I have out back. Gives temperature and
humidity inside and outside the house. I have another couple in front
under overhang of a few feet of porch. One is on the wall with a wire to
the sensor outside and the other transmits. There are plenty of
different units available at low cost.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 23 Jul 2019 08:00:03 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted on top
of a 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Pathological auto-contradicting senile idiot! LOL

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 3:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

https://www.weather.gov/rah/edu2
https://www.nws.noaa.gov/directives/sym/pd01013002curr.pdf

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 16:33:52 -0400, Tekkie®
wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Best is north (south for you upside down part of the world people)
side of the house in the shade and far enough away from the attic vent
to not be seeing that.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/19 3:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Tractor umbrella or canopy.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/19 6:00 PM, Rod Speed wrote:

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted on
top of aÂ* 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Solar radiation is not a factor at night, numbnutz.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/22/2019 3:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Mine doesn't keep the rain out, but so far it is working fine.
And as far as the rain is concerned the sensor has worked
fine through a horribly rainy Spring.

My sensor is hung on the trunk of a tree. I then took a
trash can and cut the bottom off and slit it down one side.
Then I spread it open and screwed it to the tree trunk
around the sensor. A large bucket would probably work
just as well. I chose a white one so it would tend to
reflect the sun. My temperature now tends to follow the
temperature reported on the news.

Bill

Posted to alt.home.repair

Bob wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent
mounted on top of a 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Solar radiation is not a factor at night, numbnutz.

But lack of movement of the air is, ****wit.

Particularly when its all iced up in a heavy frost etc.
Posted to alt.home.repair
Nit Nit is offline

On 7/23/19 12:47 PM, Rod Speed pulled his finger out of his nose and typed:
Bob wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted on
top of aÂ* 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Solar radiation is not a factor at night, numbnutz.

But lack of movement of the air is, ****wit.
Particularly when its all iced up in a heavy frost etc.

I can tolerate a degree error, nitwit.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Unbelievable: It's 02:47 am in Australia ...and the senile Ozzie cretin is out of bed and TROLLING, already! LMAO

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 02:47:16 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH senile asshole's latest troll****

Really? 02:47 am in Australia AGAIN? You REALLY having NOTHING in your
senile other than what goes on on these groups, eh, you clinically insane
senile pest?

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Nit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bob wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent
mounted on top of a 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Solar radiation is not a factor at night, numbnutz.

But lack of movement of the air is, ****wit.

Particularly when its all iced up in a heavy frost etc.

I can tolerate a degree error, nitwit.

You get a lot more than a degree error in that situation, stupid.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 24 Jul 2019 04:42:30 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I can tolerate a degree error, nitwit.

You get a lot more than a degree error in that situation, stupid.

Seems people despise you not only in REAL LIFE but ALSO on USENET, eh,
senile Rodent? How come? LMAO

--
Norman Wells addressing senile Rot:
"Ah, the voice of scum speaks."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair
bob bob is offline

On 7/23/19 2:42 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
Nit wrote
Rod Speed wrote
Bob wrote
Rod Speed wrote

What does work (but is expensive) is a solar powered vent mounted
on top of aÂ* 12" long piece of 6" ID PVC pipe

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07LG4SSZH

That isnt very accurate at night.

Solar radiation is not a factor at night, numbnutz.

But lack of movement of the air is, ****wit.

Particularly when its all iced up in a heavy frost etc.

I can tolerate a degree error, nitwit.

You get a lot more than a degree error in that situation, stupid.

Retard!
Posted to alt.home.repair

Ed Pawlowski posted for all of us...

On 7/22/2019 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

Can you just mount it under an eave? In my last house I put it under
the deck that is 8' off the ground.

No, cannot get that high. I have it mounted under the outside deck joist but
it does not face North so the sun affects it.

My new system is Accurite and the outdoor system is mounted on a piece
of 1" emt I drove into the ground. Of course it measures rain so no
need for a cover.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

On 7/22/19 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio signal to
the inside receiver.

The outside temp-only sensor on my last 2 units was made to be mounted
outside as-is. No cover called for. Full Rust Belt 4 season weather.
One Radio Shack, one LaCrosse

I need a North facing, which I don't have.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

[This followup was posted to alt.home.repair and a copy was sent to the
cited author.]

posted for all of us...

On 7/22/19 5:18 PM, wrote:
On 7/22/19 4:33 PM, Tekkie® wrote:

Anybody have any ideas on how to make one. It needs to be open to the air
but not allow rain in. It also needs to be able to pass the radio
signal to
the inside receiver.

The outside temp-only sensor on my last 2 units was made to be mounted
outside as-is. No cover called for. Full Rust Belt 4 season weather.
One Radio Shack, one LaCrosse

Having said that, I see LaCrosse sells covers
https://www.lacrossetechnology.com/9...weather-shield

Thanks, that looks promising. I searched but never saw this.

--
Tekkie