DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Glass replacement. Old crank window. (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/637926-glass-replacement-old-crank-window.html)

Robert Michael July 21st 19 03:50 PM

Glass replacement. Old crank window.

I have 1950s era aluminum 3 pane crank windows in a fishing cabin. I need to replace a pane, but don't see any clips or screws to get the frame apart. There seems to be very thin aluminum flashing around the outside, but just putting a screwdriver gently in a corner messed it up. Any suggestions?

dpb[_3_] July 21st 19 07:33 PM

On 7/21/2019 9:50 AM, Robert Michael wrote:
I have 1950s era aluminum 3 pane crank windows in a fishing cabin. I
need to replace a pane, but don't see any clips or screws to get the
frame apart. There seems to be very thin aluminum flashing around the
outside, but just putting a screwdriver gently in a corner messed it up.
Any suggestions?

Pictures, manufacturer???

TimR[_2_] July 22nd 19 04:21 PM

On Sunday, July 21, 2019 at 2:33:58 PM UTC-4, dpb wrote:
On 7/21/2019 9:50 AM, Robert Michael wrote:
I have 1950s era aluminum 3 pane crank windows in a fishing cabin. I
need to replace a pane, but don't see any clips or screws to get the
frame apart. There seems to be very thin aluminum flashing around the
outside, but just putting a screwdriver gently in a corner messed it up.
Any suggestions?

Pictures, manufacturer???

--

If it is at all similar to an aluminum frame storm window, I have a suggestion based on the last time I pried the frame apart and replaced the glass.

Don't bother trying to salvage the corner piece. Cut right through it with a Dremel and replace it with a new one. Also, use plastic for the replacement pane rather than risk breaking the glass while assembling.