DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   True up small piece of wood (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/637909-true-up-small-piece-wood.html)

A K July 20th 19 06:27 PM

True up small piece of wood

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

\[email protected] July 20th 19 06:42 PM

True up small piece of wood

On 7/20/19 1:27 PM, A K wrote:
I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

Maybe a sanding block like this:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/3M-Rubber-S...-Block/1093773

dpb[_3_] July 20th 19 06:44 PM

True up small piece of wood

On 7/20/2019 12:27 PM, A K wrote:
I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

Small size???? Looks to be 12x24 or thereabouts...

Why would you not use the obvious tool for the job--the TS.
Clean up one long edge(*) then the other to get even width and then
crosscut to length.

(*) The near edge looks reasonably straight other than been butchered w/
some dull tool; the jigsaw perhaps? Start w/ it against the fence, then
reverse edges.

A K July 20th 19 10:11 PM

True up small piece of wood

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 12:44:14 PM UTC-5, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2019 12:27 PM, A K wrote:
I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

Small size???? Looks to be 12x24 or thereabouts...

Why would you not use the obvious tool for the job--the TS.
Clean up one long edge(*) then the other to get even width and then
crosscut to length.

(*) The near edge looks reasonably straight other than been butchered w/
some dull tool; the jigsaw perhaps? Start w/ it against the fence, then
reverse edges.

--

Wanted to avoid the TS because it is not mounted.

Dragging that 50+ pound anchor is not good on my back and neck.

I plan on putting castors on it as a future project.

Clare Snyder July 20th 19 10:20 PM

True up small piece of wood

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:27:52 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

A K July 20th 19 11:47 PM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Andy

\[email protected] July 21st 19 12:04 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Andy

Some would have used a block plane
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-6-25...-Plane/4777021

[email protected] July 21st 19 12:35 AM

True up small piece of wood

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way
that it is reasonable removable.
I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that
is difficult because of it's small size.
I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.
I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.
How can I true up the wood?
https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.
I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?
Andy

How thick is the plywood ? the photo doesn't show that.
1/4 can be cut with a few heavy strokes
on each side with a razor knife. finish up with sandpaper.
Thicker - cut to size with your favourite saw
and finish up with sanding.
An old-timey "craftsman " would use his handsaw -
and it wouldn't require any more true-up.
John T.

[email protected] July 21st 19 02:18 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

A sled is certainly the way to go with small pieces and if you ever
think you will do it again, ever, make a nice sled with locking clamps
on it. The 20 minutes you take making the sled will be paid back a
thousand times my the fingers you don't lose and the work you can
accomplish.

Clare Snyder July 21st 19 03:58 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Andy

If you don't need "perfection" use it as it is. Before table says
they had huge circular saws run off a line-shaft. Before that they had
"pit saws" - and craftesmen who knew how to do things precisely with
hand saws and planes.

Get yourself a set of japanese saws, a square and a pencil.

A K July 21st 19 04:42 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8
With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Andy

Some would have used a block plane
https://www.lowes.com/pd/Kobalt-6-25...-Plane/4777021

How does that make the sides perpendicular?

Andy

A K July 21st 19 04:44 AM

True up small piece of wood

On Saturday, July 20, 2019 at 6:33:07 PM UTC-5, wrote:

[...]

Perpendicular - at an angle of 90° to a given line, plane, or surface.

Clare Snyder July 21st 19 05:14 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

[...]

NERY carefully with a shooting board. Watch Cosman's you-tubes.

Rod Speed July 21st 19 07:53 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is
reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult
because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

By using a plane and some skill.

Rod Speed July 21st 19 08:17 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

[...]

Thats where the skill comes in, holding it flat.

Peeler[_4_] July 21st 19 09:57 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 17:17:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

How does that make the sides perpendicular?

That¢s where the skill comes in, holding it flat.

Nope, that's where your senile smartassing came in, senile smartass!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates

Peeler[_4_] July 21st 19 09:58 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Sun, 21 Jul 2019 16:53:57 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

By using a plane and some skill.

Oh, ****! Did you HAVE to **** also in this thread, you senile bull****
artist?

Vic Smith July 21st 19 11:43 AM

True up small piece of wood

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 10:27:52 -0700 (PDT), A K wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

A rasp (or sandpaper), a straight edge and a square.

[email protected] July 21st 19 05:59 PM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

[...]

That is why old time carpenters had planes with really long runners.
The knife only hit the high spots.

dpb[_3_] July 21st 19 07:32 PM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

With the table saw. No other tool you own will do as good a job, as
easily , quickly, and safely, as the table saw with a good fence and a
good miter slide. A sled would be even better, but not a REQUIREMENT

I have no requirement for perfection.

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Any carpenter/cabinetmaker would be able to cut a straight a line to the
mark with a handsaw.

Rod Speed July 21st 19 08:18 PM

True up small piece of wood

wrote:

[...]

Thats not making the sides perpendicular, thats making the side flat.

Peeler[_4_] July 21st 19 08:48 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 05:18:44 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That is why old time carpenters had planes with really long runners.
The knife only hit the high spots.

That¢s not making the sides perpendicular, that¢s making the side flat.

I bet lots of people would like to make the side of your senile mouth flat
with a baseball bat, senile pest from Oz!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
[email protected] July 21st 19 10:10 PM

True up small piece of wood

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 05:18:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

.. .

wrote:

[...]

You used the word "Flat".

As others have said, If you put this on a sled, using a table saw is
the way to go.

Dean Hoffman[_12_] July 21st 19 11:32 PM

True up small piece of wood

On 7/20/19 12:27 PM, A K wrote:
I want to mount this piece of plywood in such a way that it is reasonable removable.

I first need to true up the edges of the wood and that is difficult because of it's small size.

I have a table saw, circular saw, and reciprocating saw.

I would like to avoid the table saw because of its weight and bulk.

How can I true up the wood?

https://imgur.com/iFZFKs8

My dad would've probably clamped his square to the wood at the
appropriate
spot to serve as a guide then used his circular saw. The square
would've been maybe 3" or so from where he wanted to cut.

dpb[_3_] July 22nd 19 12:06 AM

True up small piece of wood

On 7/21/2019 1:32 PM, dpb wrote:
On 7/20/2019 5:47 PM, A K wrote:

I wonder how craftsman did it before they made table saws?

Any carpenter/cabinetmaker would be able to cut a straight a line to the
mark with a handsaw.

And I don't mean a circular one, either... :)

Rod Speed July 22nd 19 01:04 AM

True up small piece of wood

wrote in message
On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 05:18:44 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

. ..

wrote:

[...]

Thats the PLANE flat, not the wood, stupid.

As others have said, If you put this on a sled,
using a table saw is the way to go.

Pity its not in a useable state currently and he has
a back problem with putting it into a usable state.

Peeler[_4_] July 22nd 19 09:02 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Mon, 22 Jul 2019 10:04:00 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

That¢s the PLANE flat, not the wood, stupid.

What's obvious is that you are flat out stupid, senile Rodent!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder