Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Water Accumulation in Bottom of Frigidaire Refrigerator

Hi,

I bought this Frigidaire refrigerator, model LGHT1837LP4, in 2013.

Recently, I discovered a lot of water (NOTHING SPILLED) in the bottom
of the refrigerator. I did not find the cause of this issue via google search
or youtube on this particular model.

There are NO drain ports in bottom or rear wall, but there is something
at the top, in the middle. I have no clue what this "device" is for?

I am assuming the water is coming from the defrost drain, but I have
NO idea how it gets into the refrigerator. Note: I removed the grille at
bottom of fridge. There is a drain hose in the bottom of fridge with a tray
to catch water, but there is hardly any water in that tray!

Any idea what is happening?

Thank You in advance, John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thursday, July 18, 2019 at 8:57:11 AM UTC-4, wrote:
Hi,

I bought this Frigidaire refrigerator, model LGHT1837LP4, in 2013.

Recently, I discovered a lot of water (NOTHING SPILLED) in the bottom
of the refrigerator. I did not find the cause of this issue via google search
or youtube on this particular model.

There are NO drain ports in bottom or rear wall, but there is something
at the top, in the middle. I have no clue what this "device" is for?

I am assuming the water is coming from the defrost drain, but I have
NO idea how it gets into the refrigerator. Note: I removed the grille at
bottom of fridge. There is a drain hose in the bottom of fridge with a tray
to catch water, but there is hardly any water in that tray!

Any idea what is happening?

Thank You in advance, John

Try going to some online parts stores and pulling up a diagram that
shows how it's put together.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 18 Jul 2019 15:13:41 -0700, Bob F wrote:

On 7/18/2019 5:57 AM, wrote:
Hi,

I bought this Frigidaire refrigerator, model LGHT1837LP4, in 2013.

Recently, I discovered a lot of water (NOTHING SPILLED) in the bottom
of the refrigerator. I did not find the cause of this issue via google search
or youtube on this particular model.

There are NO drain ports in bottom or rear wall, but there is something
at the top, in the middle. I have no clue what this "device" is for?

I am assuming the water is coming from the defrost drain, but I have
NO idea how it gets into the refrigerator. Note: I removed the grille at
bottom of fridge. There is a drain hose in the bottom of fridge with a tray
to catch water, but there is hardly any water in that tray!

Any idea what is happening?

Thank You in advance, John

Often, a really good long defrosting will clear the problem.

Hi,
There is a "contraption" (NO IDEA what it is for) at the top, in the
middle, near the rear wall that might be the source of water getting into the
refrigerator? I had a container under it and some water accumulate
in it. The top shelf was wet before I put the container. However,
there is still a PROBLEM because I still have water at the bottom.

I put a wider container under that "contraption".

I tried to find out via a parts list on the web, what this "contraption"
is used for.

Thanks in advance, John

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP
There is a "contraption" (NO IDEA what it is for) at the top, in the
middle, near the rear wall that might be the source of water getting into the
refrigerator? I had a container under it and some water accumulate
in it. The top shelf was wet before I put the container. However,
there is still a PROBLEM because I still have water at the bottom.

I put a wider container under that "contraption".

I tried to find out via a parts list on the web, what this "contraption"
is used for.

Thanks in advance, John

MORE INFO:

I found a YouTube video of someone modifying a similar "contraption"
to mine that causes water to drip on top shelf. I assume the water on
top shelf in my refrigerator migrates to the bottom.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gxBwy9DbzZ0

Also, this "contraption" might be an "automatic defrost control"???

Again, Thanks in advance, John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 12:28:52 -0400, wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:07:23 -0500,
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

You just need to unclog the drain in the bottom of the freezer. The
water will drip out into the tray under the fridge and be boiled off
by the condenser coils. That is how it works.

I did NOT see a drain in the freezer (after I removed the rack
type drawer).

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:07:23 -0500,
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

There should be one right at the bottom of that funnel in the bottom
of the freezer. It might be plugged solid with ice and look like it is
solid plastic.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:07:23 -0500,
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

Did you remove the back panel inside the freezer section ? That's where
the drain tray and tube are, and where it freezes up. BTDT.

It's item 10 in this parts diagram
https://www.partselect.com/Models/LG...=Washer&Mark=1

or https://tinyurl.com/y4qtwnqd
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On Fri, 19 Jul 2019 08:07:23 -0500,
wrote:

SNIP
[...]

Maybe I missed the model number but on my side by side Whirlpools (2)
it is right in the middle of the freezer compartment.
No matter what, it will be at the bottom of the sloped floor.
Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP
[...]

, Thinking LOGICALLY, if a drain in the FREEZER was clogged, why isn't the
water (becomes ice) collecting in the FREEZER since it CAN NOT drain???

How is the water getting into the refrigerator with a clogged drain in the
freezer. Note: The freezer is on top of the refrigerator.

Again, Thanks in advance.

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP

Did you remove the back panel inside the freezer section ? That's where
the drain tray and tube are, and where it freezes up. BTDT.

It's item 10 in this parts diagram
https://www.partselect.com/Models/LG...=Washer&Mark=1

or https://tinyurl.com/y4qtwnqd

Maybe I missed the model number but on my side by side Whirlpools (2)
it is right in the middle of the freezer compartment.
No matter what, it will be at the bottom of the sloped floor.

Hi,

, Thinking LOGICALLY, if a drain in the FREEZER was clogged, why isn't the
water (becomes ice) collecting in the FREEZER since it CAN NOT drain???

How is the water getting into the refrigerator with a clogged drain in the
freezer. Note: The freezer is on top of the refrigerator.

Again, Thanks in advance.

UPDATE:

I think I know what is the cause. The drain hose may be blocked up.

The drain hose is connected in the back of the "contraption" at
the top, in center, of the refrige. There is a small gap between the back
wall and back of "contraption". I can see the drain hose where it is
connected. The water must be backing up into this assembly ("contraption")
that holds the defrost timer, etc.

The freezer drain drips into a compartment in this "contraption", and
then goes down into the drain hose via an outlet port. Also possible,
the port is blocked?

John

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 20 Jul 2019 06:24:40 -0500, wrote:

[...]

OK My bad, I assumed side by side since that seems to be the most
popular these days.
On the Whirl Pools the drain in the bottom of the freezer is over the
condenser coils so it stays pretty warm. The thing that lets it freeze
is if some little piece of food or something plugs it and lets the
water back up into the freezer. On a defrost cycle the water is
usually fairly warm compared to 0C.
I really have no idea where the drain is on yours but your
"contraption" is a good place to start if it is near the bottom of the
freezer section. That is where water accumulates as frost Some models
may let this water trickle down to the bottom of the fridge
compartment tho. Dunno I have had a side by side for 40 years.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/20/2019 5:53 AM, wrote:
SNIP

[...]

You could try snaking the drain tube with some weed-wacker cord. That's
what I used on the sunroof drain of my sienna,

Posted to alt.home.repair

SNIP
NOTE: Freezer is on top of refrigerator

[...]

FINAL UPDATE:

I added an extension hose to end of drain hose so I could use compressed
air (in an air tank) to "blow out" any blockage in the drain hose plus the
drain port where hose is connected to overhead assembly in fridge.

Now it looks like it "worked", because the next day, I see a large
area in the drain "pan" (bottom of fridge) that was dusty, is wet.

John