Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Seeking higher security Sliding Doors

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house. I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar. Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher security ? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house.
I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar.

Mine can't. After the sliding part is put on the track, you lower the
wheels by inserting a screwdriver in a hole at the end of the door.
That stops the bottom of the door being able to be moved out
of the track until the wheels are raised again. The burglar can't
get to those holes. The one closes to the lock can only be
used once the door is unlocked and the other one can only
be accessed from inside the house with the door locked.

The fixed pane has a L bracket that is screwed into the track
and the door panel.

Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher
security ?

You can get pins that go thru the tracks and the bottom metal
frame of the door from the inside which prevent the door from
being lifted while the pins are in place. Not so convenient to
use tho because they need to be removed before the door
can be opened.

And whatever you do securing the panes, the thief can just smash
the glass. But you can get smashed glass sensors for alarm panels.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:16:56 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house.
I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar.

Mine can't.

His obviously can, senile asshole!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:16:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

[...]

Good luck breaking mine. They are hurricane glass. They shoot 8' 2x4s
at them at about 90-100 mph to test them. The doors weigh 285# each so
even if they could, it is going to take a big guy to lift them out.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:16:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

[...]

When mine were first released in the very early 70s, with heat
treated glass, the manufacturer had a video showing someone
trying to break it with a sledge hammer, repeatedly, and failing.

The will break with a sharp stone tho and
shatter into countless small pieces.

The doors weigh 285# each so even if they could,
it is going to take a big guy to lift them out.

Or a decent leaver. Easy enough to organise.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 22:48:11 -0400,
wrote:

On Tue, 9 Jul 2019 15:59:04 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house. I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar.

Not very easily when they're shut and latched, although they can be
unlatched from the outside by removing the plug that is where the lock
would go for those who have an outside lock for the SGD. Or by drilling
out the lock if it has a lock. Most average burglars don't seem to do
either of these, but who knows if yours will be average.

So at least as important as keeping the door from being lifted up is
keeping it from being opened, once it's unlatched. To do that put a
board or a piece of metal conduit in the track where the door would go
if opened. You can have two lengths, one full length for when you're
away and one ~6" shorter than that, so you can have the door open for a
breeze when you're home but the space is too small for anyone to get in.

I just use the 6" shorter one all the time. Breakins are very uncommon
around here. (I subscribe to a crime reporter so I know.)

Putting something on the floor in the channel is, it seems, better than
those square cross section rods that come attached and hinged half-way
up the door. I've heard one can slip a tool in and lift them up.
Harder to do with one on the floor because the burglar can't see it.

He can still get in but if you make it difficult, he'll go to the next
house.

Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher security ? Thanks

Your current one is fine.

My Andersen 400s have a cleat inside that needs to be removed to tilt
the door and get it off the track. The top rail barely clears the
door.
There is an after market fix tho. You cut a strip of wood or trex that
fills the gap between the door and the top of the top rail. You have
to open the door to remove the strip and the door will not lift off
the track with it in place.

You probably had to unscrew and take a metal piece off the end to get
access to the area. Easy to sscrew it back on later.

A broom stick is about the right size, but look to see how much higher
the top of the broom stick is than the top of the door was. (or how far
it is from the top of the broom stick to the top of the channel) You
don't have to cram it in, but it needs to be tall enough that one can no
longer lift the door enough to take the door out.

Once it's in, you don't have to worry about it until, possibly, the
wheels wear out and you have to take the door out. They're very heavy.
Post back if you ever want to do that.

Easier than lowering the wheels (that is, raising the door by the
lowering the wheels.)
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 09 Jul 2019 23:32:20 -0400, micky
wrote:

A broom stick

A traditional wooden broom stick, not a metal broom stick.

is about the right size, but look to see how much higher
the top of the broom stick is than the top of the door was. (or how far
it is from the top of the broom stick to the top of the channel) You
don't have to cram it in, but it needs to be tall enough that one can no
longer lift the door enough to take the door out.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 13:12:47 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

wrote in message
On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 09:16:56 +1000, "Rod Speed"
wrote:

wrote

[...]

I bet he'd also have failed trying to do the same with your thick head,
senile Rodent!

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 13:08:55 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

And mine has a bloody great 1/2" dam post

Are you talking about your brain, senile Rodent?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

hi, for those of you who said you have shatter/storm/burglar resistant sliding doors, who makes them and what model?
I do actually use a metal security rod that fastens in place (version of the broom handle) ... but I dont know if that completely addresses the issue of thieves lifting the door out of the track

Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/9/2019 6:59 PM, wrote:
Hi, I need to replace a sliding glass door on the back of my house. I know sliding doors can be lifted out of the track by a burglar. Are there any makes/models of sliding glass doors that offer higher security ? Thanks

Use one of these
https://www.homedepot.com/p/First-Wa...r+security+pin

Use a wooden/metal bar, as many have suggested.

Apply shatterproof film if glass is not already shatterproof.

Attach/install an alarm system.

Install video camera.

The more you make it difficult for a thief, the faster he'll move on to
the next victim. They want easy and will not waste time on a home that
isn't.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wed, 10 Jul 2019 10:57:20 -0400, Gunnar Hansen
wrote:

On 7/10/19 10:45 AM, wrote:
hi, for those of you who said you have shatter/storm/burglar resistant sliding doors, who makes them and what model?
I do actually use a metal security rod that fastens in place (version of the broom handle) ... but I dont know if that completely addresses the issue of thieves lifting the door out of the track

Thanks

You might be able to keep kids out but ain't no match for Mr. Stihl.

https://www.stihlusa.com/products/co...crete-cutters/

Make that much noise and you will be talking to Mr Winchester.
It will be a one way conversation.