Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky writes:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

Well, you can buy one and see for yourself.

https://www.harborfreight.com/6-in-c...ife-61443.html

Careful you don't cut yourself.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I've had a couple and yes, they are sharp and hold it for a long time.
Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Tue, 2 Jul 2019 19:48:15 -0400, Ed Pawlowski
wrote:

On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I've had a couple and yes, they are sharp and hold it for a long time.

Thanks. Good to know.

And I'll try not to cut myself. :=)
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

It's not mainly about being sharper, a steel blade can be sharpened the
same as a ceramic blade and vice versa, the issue with ceramic is they
hold their sharpness much much longer than a traditional steel.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/19 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

Use a Dewalt reciprocating saw with a smooth/knife blade.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/3/2019 7:21 AM, badgolferman wrote:
micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

I guess if you drop it on a hard surface it is going to break. A good
knife can last many years and sharpening is not that difficult.
Apparently ceramic knives stay sharp much longer but to restore a good
edge might require sending them off to be resharpened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

I guess if you drop it on a hard surface it is going to break.Â* A good
knife can last many years and sharpening is not that difficult.
Apparently ceramic knives stay sharp much longer but to restore a good
edge might require sending them off to be resharpened.

Correct on breaking. Many butchers us knives from a service that comes
in and sharpens them, replaces them, etc. They get a lot of hard use.
While great for home use, I don't see them working as well for a butcher
that does more than the typical straight cut.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 02 Jul 2019 16:42:12 -0400, micky
wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you
sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut
through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent
vegetarianism.
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Wednesday, July 3, 2019 at 7:21:35 AM UTC-4, badgolferman wrote:
micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

Brittle and easy to break would be one good reason.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

Some people destroy their knives within minutes of taking them out of the box.

The proper way to cut with a knife is with light downward pressure and a back and forth sawing action.

If you slam it into the cutting board (like the TV chefs), you'll distort or roll the cutting edge. Then you have to resharpen.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2019 05:21 AM, badgolferman wrote:
micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

They are brittle. That's something to remember when sharpening them too.
When sharpening conventional knives many people introduce a bending
force to the blade. What you don't even notice when sharpening a steel
blade with snap a ceramic. Diamond stones aren't 100% necessary if you
don't mind taking hours to wear down the edge.

Another thing from the conventional technique; feeling for a slight burr
on the off side edge won't work with ceramic.

Steel, preferably carbon and not stainless, has sliced anything I've
needed to slice.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you
sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut
through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent
vegetarianism.

I prefer a sharp knife for vegetables (for everything, really).
It's much safer.

Cindy Hamilton
Posted to alt.home.repair

Are cemamic knives really sharp?
Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

Google & read-up ...

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ceramic_knife

https://www.knivesandtools.com/en/ct/ceramic-knives.htm

Never use a normal sharpening steel on a folded-steel knife.

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Garden/p...357,75438&ap=1

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

micky wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I really don't know or have any experience with ceramic knives, but I
wonder if they are so good why don't we see butchers and other food
professionals using them?

Brittle and easy to break would be one good reason.

Probably the best reason to avoid them.
If you drop your trendy ceramic knife on your trendy granite counter
top you will have trendy Picasso art.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you
sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut
through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent
vegetarianism.
[]'s

Maybe there is some difference in how we interpret "ordinary kitchen
knife".

I'm sure those knife sets that are sold are already sharpened.

I bought 3 large knives at a yard sale 10 or 20 years ago. I don't even
take care of them and they're still sharp.

Every few years I buy a paring knife at the supermarket. They're still
sharp, just not quite as sharp, when I buy a new one.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 3 Jul 2019 10:08:12 -0400, Bod F
wrote:

On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

Some people destroy their knives within minutes of taking them out of the box.

The proper way to cut with a knife is with light downward pressure and a back and forth sawing action.

If you slam it into the cutting board (like the TV chefs), you'll distort or roll the cutting edge. Then you have to resharpen.

Interesting.

When I was in high school my brother was in med school. He was cutting
a tomato and the topic came up, so he showed my mother and me how he was
taught to cut a kidney. What you said plus after going part way down,
to flip it over and cut from the other side, so that the knife didn't
hit the surface and damage the knife.

He used to hide disgusting things under his bed. One was a greasy paper
bag that I think he said had part of an arm in it. I'm not going to
look. We shared a bedroom but he was good enough not to open the bag
when I was nearby.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Most people don't know what a sharp knife is until they use one that a
chef or meat cutter uses every day.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Few people have a steel to keep them in shape too. Even fewer know how
to properly use one.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Most people don't know what a sharp knife is until they use one that a
chef or meat cutter uses every day.

Few people have a steel to keep them in shape too. Even fewer know how
to properly use one.

I own a steel but almost never use it - I prefer the little
diamond stick like a mini steel

http://www.leevalley.com/en/garden/p...t=2,2160,40710

Just a few swipes on each edge, a few times per year.

I also use it to touch-up the long serrated bread knives - it's a
bit tedious - one curve at a time - but it's once-per year.
and I don't know how else to do it ..

A full-sized diamond steel is available but a bit pricey :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/wood/pag...=1,43072,43079

John T.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

"Ordinary kitchen knives" are not sharp at all, unless you
sharpen them. If I left sharpening to the wife they'd barely cut
through a banana, and I'd be forced into a life of decadent
vegetarianism.
[]'s

Maybe there is some difference in how we interpret "ordinary kitchen
knife".

I'm sure those knife sets that are sold are already sharpened.

They usually are.

I bought 3 large knives at a yard sale 10 or 20 years ago. I don't even
take care of them and they're still sharp.

Every few years I buy a paring knife at the supermarket. They're still
sharp, just not quite as sharp, when I buy a new one.

Why on earth do you buy new knives ? Mine are all 40 years
old. Scissors too. I bought too many thinking they would wear out.
They didn't.

Re sharpening:

A steel just straightens the blade. You need a stone to
actually hone it (not too often). I have an old leather belt from the
hippy 70's (4" wide, an ex-girlfriend I can barely remember threw it
out and I salvaged it) to "strop it".
[]'s
--
Don't be evil - Google 2004
We have a new policy - Google 2012

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 07/03/2019 07:10 PM, Shadow wrote:
A steel just straightens the blade. You need a stone to
actually hone it (not too often). I have an old leather belt from the
hippy 70's (4" wide, an ex-girlfriend I can barely remember threw it
out and I salvaged it) to "strop it".
[]'s

I have a genuine imported Russian leather strop with the linen belt on
the back. It says Petrograd so it's been around for a while. I like
Russians; they make things that last.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 7/2/2019 6:48 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 7/2/2019 4:42 PM, micky wrote:
Are cemamic knives really sharp?

Are some sharper than steel knives, like this ad says?

https://www.amazon.com/Ceramic-Knife...-search&sr=8-5

"The sharpness of our ceramic knife is 10 times than ordinary kitchen
knives,"?

I've had a couple and yes, they are sharp and hold it for a long time.

Agree. Very, VERY sharp (the Harbor Freight ones) and they hold an edge
for lot longer than steel (provided you don't drop them, in which case
you'll still have a very sharp edge, but a LOT of them and very short
lengths)

Even sharper, look up "obsidian scalpel." They are fashioned from
volcanic glass and are so sharp that some surgeons still use them for
delicate surgery. They are said to have an edge so fine and sharp that
they actually cut the tissue cells in half rendering an incredibly
smooth cut and promoting faster healing.