DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Restore power to outlets on deck (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/637169-restore-power-outlets-deck.html)

sandie charles July 2nd 19 02:14 AM

Restore power to outlets on deck

Hi I am about to build a deck ground level. I need to replace the original
wiring that the previous owner totally hashed up. He used direct burial. As I
a m putting a deck over whether the run needs to be. From the garage to the
upper deck about 12" above the deck I am constructing. What is the best way to
achieve this. I am Leary of direct burial in conduit.

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...k-1195016-.htm

[email protected] July 2nd 19 03:46 AM

Restore power to outlets on deck

On Tue, 2 Jul 2019 01:14:03 +0000, sandie charles
m wrote:

Hi I am about to build a deck ground level. I need to replace the original
wiring that the previous owner totally hashed up. He used direct burial. As I
a m putting a deck over whether the run needs to be. From the garage to the
upper deck about 12" above the deck I am constructing. What is the best way to
achieve this. I am Leary of direct burial in conduit.

Why? Cables are listed for running in a raceway, they are just hard to
pull and usually require a bigger pipe than you would use for
conductors.
There is absolutely no extra (heat) derating in a raceway for a cable,
no matter what the urban legends say.

trader_4 July 2nd 19 02:31 PM

m wrote:

Hi I am about to build a deck ground level. I need to replace the original
wiring that the previous owner totally hashed up. He used direct burial. As I
a m putting a deck over whether the run needs to be. From the garage to the
upper deck about 12" above the deck I am constructing. What is the best way to
achieve this. I am Leary of direct burial in conduit.

Why? Cables are listed for running in a raceway, they are just hard to
pull and usually require a bigger pipe than you would use for
conductors.
There is absolutely no extra (heat) derating in a raceway for a cable,
no matter what the urban legends say.

If he doesn't like that, then use THWN wire in conduit, what's the problem?