Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

Default Lead acid battery charger (or alternator) switching to trickle with load present?

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
Better still, standardised voltage and standardised packs where a small
town car may use one, while a larger, longer range car may use two or
three. Make the packs so they can be slid in or out - it doesn't matter
if each car puts them in at different locations, in different directions
or around different obstructions - and "battery stations" could use
robot arms, pre-programmed for all different models, to swap out
discharged batteries for fully charged ones. The service paid for at a
fixed sum, plus a rate for the increase in charge level.

That makes recharging an electric vehicle as fast as a petrol or diesel
one from the driver's point of view and ensures that failing batteries
are removed from circulation, with the cost spread amongst all drivers
rather than an individual being hit by a high fee.

It would also mean that as battery technology improved, all cars would
benefit, not just the latest model.

Which would require cooperation between every maker in every country.
Just the thing all the Farages and Trumps of this world are dead against.
How dare anyone tell us how we should do things. And so on.

--
*If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything.*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

How do you propose decisions should be made on what is to be produced
and when innovation is to be allowed? The same system that produced the
Trabant in 1957 - and carried on producing it until 1990?

--
Robin
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 23:00:18 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:46:58 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:20:38 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:39:25 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 19:03:17 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 00:31:05 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

How long does the 4A last for ?

It can flatten the (new 50Ah) battery overnight.

Sure, but I was wondering if it was 4A all night or just in
bursts.
You really need a proper data logger to see that, but just visual
inspection of the multimeter might be enough.

After more thought, I'd be checking the electric window switches
if its got electric windows.

Bugger, can't be that because no fuses should stop that
unless the stupid frog car doesnt fuse those windows.

Do you say "bugger" with this accent?
https://youtu.be/CPYmtEQiG18

Pretty close with the blokes.

Ah, so you're a country bumpkin then.

Nope, only the immigrants and ******s dont say it like that.

The stronger the accent, the lower the intelligence.

Even sillier than you usually manage and thats saying something.

Adam has one of the stronger accents in here
and is one of the most intelligent anyway.

There may be exceptions.

The original is just stupid.

What do you mean "the original"?

Nothing like the women

ROFL!

and I never say bugger me with you bloody poms around.

Do you for some reason believe there's a higher percentage of
homosexuals
in the UK?

Thats a known fact. Have fun listing anywhere else thats got a higher
percentage.

Cite. I'd think it's pretty much the same throughout the world,

More fool you.

No cite then?

Dont need one that is obvious.

Funny how we think the same of Australia.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

This stupidity

The stronger the accent, the lower the intelligence.

Nothing like the women

ROFL!

and I never say bugger me with you bloody poms around.

Do you for some reason believe there's a higher percentage of
homosexuals
in the UK?

Thats a known fact. Have fun listing anywhere else thats got a
higher
percentage.

Cite. I'd think it's pretty much the same throughout the world,

More fool you.

No cite then?

Dont need one that is obvious.

Funny how we think the same of Australia.

Just how many of you are there between those ears ?

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It rings true 99% of the time. Try going to Glasgow or Wales or the deep south of the USA.

Nothing like the women

ROFL!

and I never say bugger me with you bloody poms around.

Do you for some reason believe there's a higher percentage of
homosexuals
in the UK?

Thats a known fact. Have fun listing anywhere else thats got a
higher
percentage.

Cite. I'd think it's pretty much the same throughout the world,

More fool you.

No cite then?

Dont need one that is obvious.

Funny how we think the same of Australia.

Just how many of you are there between those ears ?

If I give a number greater than one, does that mean I'm more intelligent?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 22:33:03 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 21:28:01 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:52:51 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 20:02:36 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 18:31:44 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Fri, 12 Jul 2019 01:20:46 +0100, Rod Speed

wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
It cant be a fused line given that you still get
the battery flattened with no fuses installed.

If you can somehow rig up something that allows you to
see or hear the current draw, or have someone else watch
the meter, you may be able to see if its a door by doing
that and operating the doors.

I've only ever seen it by leaving a multimeter connected with a
maximum
function running. Car sat perfectly still, it just does it
sometimes
overnight.

Yeah, you really need a proper data logger. Not expensive.

Not spending money on stuff for one little purpose like that.

But you did with the charger to kludge around the fault.

A 13.8V 15A power supply is very useful for all sorts.

And you should be able to flog it for about what you paid
for it once it has fixed the problem.

Too much hassle and I lose postage and Ebay fees etc. Only time I've
bothered "renting" something like that was a top of the range slide
scanner for a large amount of 35mm slides I wanted digitised.

And I can't see it would tell me anything, apart from "it happened
at
5am".

When it happens and the detail of how it happens
may well allow you to work out what is causing the
flattening of the battery overnight and fix the problem.

What can it tell me apart from the time of night it did it?

How long that high current lasted for. That would definitively
distinguish between the alarm being triggered and eventually
timing out and a pinched wire which would have quite
different timing, particular over different nights.

I know it's a long time as it can flatten the battery.

But you dont know if its continuous when it happens
or intermittent. If it was intermittent and regular it
could well be the alarm triggering, then timing out,
the triggering again and then timing out again etc.

You wouldnt normally get that with a pinched wire.

True, but I'm not spending any more on the problem.

More fool you when is peanuts and the alternative is to
have to manually charge the damned thing every night.

I've already spent time and money trying to trace the ****ing fault and I've had enough of it. My current system works fine. I leave a pair of croc clips sat at the end of my drive and connect them every time I come home, not a hassle at all.

And that would allow you to see which door is the problem
too if it is one of the doors pinching a cable as its closed.

What makes you think it's a door?

Its the most obvious way to pinch a cable.

Actually I've just had an ABS wire fixed that had been damaged by the
handbrake.

Sure, I didnt say its the only one. And that one wouldnt
be fused either. Neither would the airbag triggers.

Airbags certainly are fused.

Mine arent.

I know people who have taken the fuse out.

But you dont know its fused in your steaming turd with wheels.

So if it shorts it just causes a fire? Everything should be fused.

They are internally fused. That way they cant set fire
to the car and can't have the fuse pulled by a car thief.

The fuse must be at the start of the circuit, or a short in the feed wire can cause a fire. Imagine a table lamp in your house with a fuse in its plug, but the cable leading from the consumer unit to the socket is unfused. What do you think would happen if a rat ate the wire in the wall? Now consider a car where shorts in wires throughout the chassis are much more likely.

Modern car security is about a lot more than not having
a fuse for the alarm in the main fuse box.

What?
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH another 119 !!! Lines of Absolutely Idiotic Troll****!

....and much better air in here again!

--
addressing nym-shifting senile Rodent:
"You on the other hand are a heavyweight bull****ter who demonstrates
Posted to alt.electronics,uk.rec.driving,alt.home.repair,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Steve Walker wrote:
[...]

We manage to agree on the standards of petrol that cars have to be able
to run on now. We manage to impose (although not police) emissions
standards. Standards are not the same in every country, but someone
supplying from outside has to meet the standards in force in the UK.
There is nothing wrong with countries co-operating on standards - only
in having them imposed externally.

SteveW
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

It rings true 99% of the time.

Bull**** it does.

Try going to Glasgow

He is from Glasgow and leaves the rest for dead intelligence wise.
https://www.abc.net.au/radionational.../healthreport/

Same with Billy Connelly.

or Wales or the deep south of the USA.

Nothing like the women

ROFL!

and I never say bugger me with you bloody poms around.

Do you for some reason believe there's a higher percentage of
homosexuals
in the UK?

Thats a known fact. Have fun listing anywhere else thats got a
higher
percentage.

Cite. I'd think it's pretty much the same throughout the world,

More fool you.

No cite then?

Dont need one that is obvious.

Funny how we think the same of Australia.

Just how many of you are there between those ears ?

If I give a number greater than one, does that mean I'm more intelligent?

Nope. just as stupid as you always were.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Rod Speed" wrote in message
[...]

So you are actually stupid enough to waste far more
time manually charging it every ****ing night. No
surprise that you are completely unemployable.

My current system works fine. I leave a pair of croc clips sat at the end
of my drive and connect them every time I come home,

Yep, you actually are that stupid.

And that would allow you to see which door is the problem
too if it is one of the doors pinching a cable as its closed.

What makes you think it's a door?

Its the most obvious way to pinch a cable.

Actually I've just had an ABS wire fixed that had been damaged by
the
handbrake.

Sure, I didnt say its the only one. And that one wouldnt
be fused either. Neither would the airbag triggers.

Airbags certainly are fused.

Mine arent.

I know people who have taken the fuse out.

But you dont know its fused in your steaming turd with wheels.

So if it shorts it just causes a fire? Everything should be fused.

They are internally fused. That way they cant set fire
to the car and can't have the fuse pulled by a car thief.

The fuse must be at the start of the circuit,

Wrong, as always.

or a short in the feed wire can cause a fire.

And yet you claim there is no fuse at all for the alarm system.

And we know that there isnt one for the starter etc.

Imagine a table lamp in your house with a fuse in its plug, but the cable
leading from the consumer unit to the socket is unfused. What do you
think would happen if a rat ate the wire in the wall?

Thats the situation with the starter in every car.

Now consider a car where shorts in wires throughout the chassis are much
more likely.

Thats what you claim is the situation with the alarm system.

Modern car security is about a lot more than not having
a fuse for the alarm in the main fuse box.

What?

Non key systems.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 176 !!! Lines of Troll****!

FLUSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHHHH

....and much better air in here again!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH 144 !!! Lines of TROLL****!

....nothing's left!

little ignorant ****."
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

Takes **** all time. Whenever I come home, I pop the bonnet as I get out of the car then clip two croc clips to the battery as I walk round the car to the house door.

[...]

So why does your house have the fuses in the consumer unit and not halfway along the wire?

or a short in the feed wire can cause a fire.

And yet you claim there is no fuse at all for the alarm system.

There will be a hidden one, so theives can't pull it out.

And we know that there isnt one for the starter etc.

That would require a ****ing big fuse.

Imagine a table lamp in your house with a fuse in its plug, but the cable
leading from the consumer unit to the socket is unfused. What do you
think would happen if a rat ate the wire in the wall?

Thats the situation with the starter in every car.

Which doesn't have wires running through the dash where it could set fire to the inside of the car. All the starter would do if it shorted would break the battery or the wire.

Modern car security is about a lot more than not having
a fuse for the alarm in the main fuse box.

What?

Non key systems.

So have they finally removed those annoying alarms that wake people up in the middle of the night?

And my car has a key.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

But you dont know if its continuous when it happens
or intermittent. If it was intermittent and regular it
could well be the alarm triggering, then timing out,
the triggering again and then timing out again etc.

You wouldnt normally get that with a pinched wire.

True, but I'm not spending any more on the problem.

More fool you when is peanuts and the alternative is to
have to manually charge the damned thing every night.

I've already spent time and money trying to trace the ****ing fault and
I've had enough of it.

So you are actually stupid enough to waste far more
time manually charging it every ****ing night. No
surprise that you are completely unemployable.

Takes **** all time.

Takes much less time with the fault fixed.

Whenever I come home, I pop the bonnet as I get out of the car then clip
two croc clips to the battery as I walk round the car to the house door.

Takes much less total time with the fault fixed.

[...]

With your stupid system, there is one
in the incomer, one in the CU, one in
the plug, one in the device itself.

or a short in the feed wire can cause a fire.

And yet you claim there is no fuse at all for the alarm system.

There will be a hidden one, so theives can't pull it out.

What I said.

And we know that there isnt one for the starter etc.

That would require a ****ing big fuse.

Which might just be why there isnt one.

Imagine a table lamp in your house with a fuse in its plug, but the
cable leading from the consumer unit to the socket is unfused. What do
you think would happen if a rat ate the wire in the wall?

Thats the situation with the starter in every car.

Which doesn't have wires running through the dash where it could set fire
to the inside of the car.

But does have a wire running thru the engine compartment
where the petrol is which is even more likely to set fire to the car.

All the starter would do if it shorted would break the battery or the
wire.

Or set fire to the car.

Modern car security is about a lot more than not having
a fuse for the alarm in the main fuse box.

What?

Non key systems.

So have they finally removed those annoying alarms that wake people up in
the middle of the night?

Corse not, because thieves can still break windows etc.

And my car has a key.

Because its a steaming turd with wheels frog car.

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default FLUSH another 135 !!! Lines of Absolute BULL****...

....and much better air in here again!

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless