Old June 19th 19, 09:29 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default GFCI Outlet in Garage Keeps Tripping

On 6/18/19 9:14 PM, Ryanallen11 wrote:
So I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that keeps tripping. It first
happened 2
days ago. When I hit the reset button, everything turned back on and worked
fine for a while. It tripped again yesterday, and same thing. I reset it
and
everything was good. Today when I first noticed it tripped, I reset it
and it
stayed on for about 5 minutes before it tripped again. Now every time I
reset
it, it lasts for less than a minute before tripping again. During the 30
minutes or so that I was just playing with it, there was about a minute
where
hitting the reset button would not do anything and it would just
immediately
pop back out but then went back to staying on for ~ 30 seconds before
tripping
again. Any clue on what could be causing this?

I had a GFCI in my kitchen (also on an exterior wall) with that problem.
The electrical box was full of dead ants.

[snip]

--
Mark Lloyd
http://notstupid.us/

"In the beginning Man created God; and in the image of Man created he
him." [Jethro Tull, "Aqualung"]

Old June 21st 19, 02:22 AM posted to alt.home.repair

In alt.home.repair, on Wed, 19 Jun 2019 02:14:01 GMT, Ryanallen11
m wrote:

So I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that keeps tripping. It first happened 2

If you would use paragraphs, it would make your post 10x as readable.
That is their purpose.

So I didn't read your post but I'm going to suggest that the the outlet
or the breaker, whichever it is, might be bad. I had a GFI breaker that
came with the house and was 4 years old and was already tripping for no
reason. Replaced it and 30 years later the new one is still good.

Old June 22nd 19, 05:21 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, June 18, 2019 at 9:14:06 PM UTC-5, Ryanallen11 wrote:
So I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that keeps tripping. It first happened 2
days ago. When I hit the reset button, everything turned back on and worked
fine for a while. It tripped again yesterday, and same thing. I reset it and
everything was good. Today when I first noticed it tripped, I reset it and it
stayed on for about 5 minutes before it tripped again. Now every time I reset
it, it lasts for less than a minute before tripping again. During the 30
minutes or so that I was just playing with it, there was about a minute where
hitting the reset button would not do anything and it would just immediately
pop back out but then went back to staying on for ~ 30 seconds before tripping
again. Any clue on what could be causing this?
The outlet is on a wall inside my garage but the other side of the wall is the
exterior of the house. There are a few other normal(no reset button) outlets
in the garage that are connected to this GFCI as one of them had a
refrigerator plugged in it and this and anything else plugged into any of them
will not work when the main GFCI is tripped. Also, the lights in one room of
my basement are also connected to it as well.
I disconnected the fridge and plugged it into an extension cord that I then
plugged into a different outlet inside the house and it worked no problem so I
know it's not the fridge. There are also no circuit breakers that are popped
and I still turned all of them off and back on again and the problem still
persists. We have had a lot of rain the last few days and it now is worse than
the last 2 days which coincides with the fact that today, we probably had the
most rain.
Excuse me for my lack of electrical knowledge but I'm not sure if that circuit
is connected anywhere else, or if it has a connection to an outdoor outlet.
All I know is that when it is tripped, one single room of my basement lights
won't work and all the outlets in the garage won't work however the lights in
the garage are still on and it seems like all other outlets and lights in the
house are still working fine even when it's tripped. Could water be getting in
somehow since it is on the interior side of a wall that also faces the
exterior of the house or could it just be a coincidence that it happened
during rainy days and there is something else wrong with the GFCI? Any help is
much appreciated!

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1194081-.htm

When you say " I disconnected the fridge and plugged it into an extension cord that I then
plugged into a different outlet inside the house and it worked no problem so I
know it's not the fridge. " Are you saying the frig worked fine but did the gfi still trip ? If the gfi stopped tripping then it is the frig.

Old June 12th 21, 06:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Warning the grammar police have arrived on the scene 😂🚨

--
For full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...g-1194081-.htm

Old June 13th 21, 01:01 AM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

So I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that keeps tripping. It first happened 2

If you would use paragraphs, it would make your post 10x as readable.
That is their purpose.

So I didn't read your post but I'm going to suggest that the the outlet
or the breaker, whichever it is, might be bad. I had a GFI breaker that
came with the house and was 4 years old and was already tripping for no
reason. Replaced it and 30 years later the new one is still good.

How do you know that the new one isn't bad and hasn't been tripping when it
was supposed to?
Old June 15th 21, 11:02 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 12 Jun 2021 16:01:07 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Manson posted for all of us
to digest...

wrote:

So I have a GFCI outlet in my garage that keeps tripping. It first happened 2

If you would use paragraphs, it would make your post 10x as readable.
That is their purpose.

So I didn't read your post but I'm going to suggest that the the outlet
or the breaker, whichever it is, might be bad. I had a GFI breaker that
came with the house and was 4 years old and was already tripping for no
reason. Replaced it and 30 years later the new one is still good.

How do you know that the new one isn't bad and hasn't been tripping when it
was supposed to?

Mickey (sic) has a lot of posters in his killfile. He only replies to his
'crew' so don't feel slighted. His mind is made up and don't confuse him with
facts.

--
Tekkie

Fridge keeps tripping my GFCI plug DC Home Repair 8 July 12th 07 04:08 AM
is gfci outlet good replacement for two-prong non-grounded outlet ?? [email protected] Home Repair 3 December 5th 06 05:01 PM
GFCI tripping fredinstl Home Repair 5 April 5th 05 05:07 AM
GFCI Outlet Tripping nr Home Repair 10 March 6th 05 08:51 PM
GFCI Tripping constantly barry martin Home Repair 5 December 6th 04 11:18 PM