Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Securing fence post pipe inside a larger one

Hi. The end post of a fence Im installing was too large in diameter so the fence supplier advised me to cut it down and install a smaller diameter pipe inside. Problem is, theres concrete in the larger pipe and the smaller pipe can only sit inside about 6€ deep.

Can anyone suggest a specific product for what to put into the larger pipe to secure the smaller one? I was thinking epoxy or even squirt a whole tube of Liquid Nails in there, but really not sure what to put.

See photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TdBDsGyhUmCsiFq7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/McL2smxvQA1b5Uqo7

Thanks for advice.
Theodore
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote

The end post of a fence Im installing was too large in
diameter so the fence supplier advised me to cut it down
and install a smaller diameter pipe inside. Problem is,
theres concrete in the larger pipe and the smaller pipe
can only sit inside about 6€ deep.

Can anyone suggest a specific product for what to put
into the larger pipe to secure the smaller one? I was
thinking epoxy or even squirt a whole tube of Liquid
Nails in there, but really not sure what to put.

See photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TdBDsGyhUmCsiFq7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/McL2smxvQA1b5Uqo7

I'd use an intermediate steel pipe between the two and weld it.

If you cant find an intermediate pipe that fits, get some more
of the too large one, cut it length wise with an angle grinder
and squeeze it in a vice so it slides inside the outer one.

Or just some flat steel square strips to make the inner tube
solid in the outer and hammer them in and still weld it.

If you cant weld, still do it that way but epoxy the steel inside the outer.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 20:28:32 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Hi. The end post of a fence Im installing was too large in diameter so the fence supplier advised me to cut it down and install a smaller diameter pipe inside. Problem is, theres concrete in the larger pipe and the smaller pipe can only sit inside about 6€ deep.

Can anyone suggest a specific product for what to put into the larger pipe to secure the smaller one? I was thinking epoxy or even squirt a whole tube of Liquid Nails in there, but really not sure what to put.

See photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TdBDsGyhUmCsiFq7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/McL2smxvQA1b5Uqo7

Thanks for advice.
Theodore

Use a hammer drill to drill a 3/8" hole into the concrete inside the
pipe. Drive in a piece of #3 rebar a couple feet high. Pack the big
pipe with grout. Slide the smaller pipe over it and fill the pipe with
grout at least to the top of the rebar.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 16 Jun 2019 14:28:45 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I'd use an intermediate steel pipe between the two and weld it.

I'd use a large one across your stupid senile head, senile Rodent!

--
FredXX to Rot Speed:
"You are still an idiot and an embarrassment to your country. No wonder
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/15/19 10:28 PM, wrote:
Hi. The end post of a fence Im installing was too large in diameter so the fence supplier advised me to cut it down and install a smaller diameter pipe inside. Problem is, theres concrete in the larger pipe and the smaller pipe can only sit inside about 6€ deep.

Can anyone suggest a specific product for what to put into the larger pipe to secure the smaller one? I was thinking epoxy or even squirt a whole tube of Liquid Nails in there, but really not sure what to put.

See photos:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/6TdBDsGyhUmCsiFq7
https://photos.app.goo.gl/McL2smxvQA1b5Uqo7

Thanks for advice.
Theodore

I wonder if any type of epoxy would break apart because of the
temperature changes
and stress changes on the post. What about some sort of shim, bushing,
or wedge? Maybe a flanged bushing. You could wedge the inner pipe
against just one side of
the outer one. I doubt it needs to be centered.
I was going to suggest a couple pieces of redi rod. Use them like
bolts to hold the
inner pipe in position. Drill one hole near the concrete and the other
near the top
of the bigger pipe. Drill them parallel to the fence line.