Old June 14th 19, 08:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Millennial Dads Have Pathetic DIY Skills Compared To Baby Boomers

On Friday, June 14, 2019 at 1:29:05 PM UTC-4, Leroy N. Soetoro wrote:
https://hotair.com/headlines/archive...dads-pathetic-
diy-skills-compared-baby-boomers/

Millennial dads are less likely than their boomer counterparts to be able
to change a car tire on the side of the road, unblock a toilet or sink,
reset a tripped circuit breaker or even open a stuck pickle jar with their
hands.

The new survey, conducted by OnePoll on behalf of Alarm.com, found that
modern dads’ toolkits have declined too.

Many millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a
stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32
percent) — an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Thank the democrat education system.

I don't think so. Blame the boomer dads who never taught their
millennial sons (or daughters) anything useful. Or the boomer
moms who never let their kids get dirty or play with dangerous
stuff.

Cindy Hamilton

Old June 14th 19, 08:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Cindy Hamilton" wrote in message
[...]

Millennials are unlikely to have boomer dads.

Or the boomer moms who never let their
kids get dirty or play with dangerous stuff.

Never saw any boomer mums like that, that came later.

Old June 14th 19, 09:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair

"Ralph Mowery" wrote in message
k.net...
In article ,
says...
y millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a
stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32
percent) ? an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Thank the democrat education system.

I don't think so. Blame the boomer dads who never taught their
millennial sons (or daughters) anything useful. Or the boomer
moms who never let their kids get dirty or play with dangerous
stuff

Sort of both. I grew up in a small town. My dad
could do most anything around the house.

Mine too, but I taught him quite a bit too. For some reason
I can just look at mechanical stuff and decide if it will work
long term. He can't, mostly under designs mechanical stuff
and doesn't realise that you can't paint plastic chairs if you
don't like the colors they sell etc.

He taught me very littls, but I would play
with his tools and learn things myself.

Yeah, me too, and he was happy to let me get
stuff like the lawn mower going again etc.

He would explain things if I asked him. Over the years
I learned to do many common house hold things myself.

In my case right up to designing and building a
fancy passive solar house on a bare block of land.

My parent were into renovating an older house
likely built in the very early 20th century, but
that was mostly limited to stuff like painting
etc, nothing major and structural.

He did do a very decent what you lot call and
RV with a Commer light van bought new.

I wonder if high school and jr. hi teaches any shop classes ?

The one close to the house I built did in the very early 70s.
I got an old wreck of what you lot call a truck at what we
call a farm clearing sale, planning to use it when building
the house. Never go around to doing anything with it and
eventually one of the teachers asked me if I wanted to
donate it to the school so they could use it to teach
car maintenance to the high school kids, which I did.

My Jr hi had a woold working class and we built a small stool and
wood box about the size of a small tool box that I still have and use.

My high school did too but I don't have anything I made that I still use.

The high school had a wood shop, metal shop

I know that high school I donated the truck to did because
one of the neighbours kids bragged about what stupid
stuff they did in those. He ended up a stupid druggy.
His dad is pre boomer and a decent mechanic and the
druggy is a very decent mechanic himself. His younger
brother is even better, he has restored a number of
1940/50 cars and utes, Austin and Wolseley.

and electronic shop.

Not sure what they have in that regard. Probably not since
the druggy's son didn't say anything about it and is into
electronic stuff and got me to help him with that stuff.

I remember taking one each year.
Most cars now need very little attention.

The pre boomer and his druggy son are into buying
stuff with a problem, fixing it and selling it. Currently
Merc C180s, Before that Hyundai Grandeurs. I just
found out the other day from his younger son that
the Grandeur kept having problems. Surprised me
because my Getz has only had the one and that
was just the windscreen washer bottle.

One thing for drivers ed was we did have to demonstrate
how to change a flat tire. All of the above was inthe 60's to 70's.

Old June 14th 19, 09:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Fri, 14 Jun 2019 12:12:44 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

[...]

That would be their grandfathers and the Gen X parents might not have
wanted their kids playing with tools.
We did seem to lose that interest in repairing things in these days of
everything being disposable tho.
That trend was really catching on in the 90s when my job went away.
By the late 80s, new products were "use it till it breaks and throw it
away".

Old June 14th 19, 09:55 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 06:13:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Sort of both. I grew up in a small town. My dad
could do most anything around the house.

Mine too, but I taught him quite a bit too.

Yeah, we know that, you senile laughing stock: you KNOW and CAN DO
EVERYTHING! You even helped "design a computer OS"! ****ing stupid senile
idiot! tsk

--
Senile Rot about himself:
"I was involved in the design of a computer OS"
Old June 14th 19, 09:57 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 15 Jun 2019 05:52:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH the clinically insane auto-contradicting asshole's latest troll****

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Old June 14th 19, 10:14 PM posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Why wait for it to break?? The company that makes your tech fix of
choice brings out a new one and you just HAVE to have it. So you pitch
your perfectly good 6 month to one year old device os stuff it in a
drawer and buy a new one. A year or two later you clean out the drawer
and bin everything.
Old Yesterday, 03:54 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 15/6/19 5:26 am, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...
y millennial dads reported not owning a cordless drill (46%), a
stepladder (49%), a set of screwdrivers (38%) or even a hammer (32
percent) ? an item owned by 93% of boomer dads.

Thank the democrat education system.

I don't think so. Blame the boomer dads who never taught their
millennial sons (or daughters) anything useful. Or the boomer
moms who never let their kids get dirty or play with dangerous
stuff

Sort of both. I grew up in a small town. My dad could do most anything
around the house. He taught me very littls, but I would play with his
tools and learn things myself. He would explain things if I asked him.
Over the years I learned to do many common house hold things myself.

My parents taught me little with regard to handyman stuff. I had to
learn myself and an apprenticeship as a mechanic was the culmination of it.

I wonder if high school and jr. hi teaches any shop classes ? My Jr hi
had a woold working class and we built a small stool and wood box about
the size of a small tool box that I still have and use.
The high school had a wood shop, metal shop and electronic shop. I
remember taking one each year.

We had woodwork, metalwork, technical drawing and agriculture. It was in
a rural location.

Most cars now need very little attention. One thing for drivers ed was
we did have to demonstrate how to change a flat tire. All of the above
was inthe 60's to 70's.

Having taught in a technical college for a decade or two, I can tell you
that it's not only the hand skills that are lacking. It's also an
understanding of the basics of science and math, things that should have
been taught/learnt at high school.

--

Xeno

(with apologies to Ralph Waldo Emerson)
Old Yesterday, 05:31 AM posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/14/2019 2:13 PM, Rod Speed wrote:
He can't, mostly under designs mechanical stuff
and doesn't realise that you can't paint plastic chairs if you
don't like the colors they sell etc.

https://www.amazon.com/Krylon-K02519...dp/B000GONZC0/

What color did you want?