Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Stone mailbox

I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...x-1193270-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2019 6:14 PM, Mike wrote:
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

Don't know your local codes but yes, you may need a pipe. Easier to
find out for sure than to rip it out later. Check with the building
inspector or town engineer.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" m wrote in message
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run
off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

Is a curbside stone mailbox legal where you live?

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/2019 8:59 PM, catalpa wrote:
"Mike" m wrote in message
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run
off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

Is a curbside stone mailbox legal where you live?

You bring up a good point. Assuming it is, be sure it meets postal
regulations for height and distance from the curb.
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Mike" m wrote in message
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run
off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

Is a curbside stone mailbox legal where you live?

You bring up a good point. Assuming it is, be sure it meets postal
regulations for height and distance from the curb.

I am 3 answers in and nobody has pointed out, this isn't his land. It
is going to be the DOT right of way damn near anywhere. Usually they
don't care what you do as long as you don't dig up the utilities but
the other thing is drainage. That is probably more important to DOT
than the phone line. When I did my driveway, across 24' of their land,
all the guy cared about at all was that I was not screwing up the
drainage.
To the OP, yes I would put a pipe in there and as long as it is
covered by 2" of concrete or more, maybe with some wire in there, it
will be OK. I would say to rich up the cement a little but "high
strength" bag mix is 3500-4000PSI stuff. That is plenty rich.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 6/10/19 6:14 PM, Mike wrote:
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

What happens if a motorist is injured when they plow into your Stonehenge style mailbox?

Will you wind up in court?Â* What will it cost to defend yourself?

https://www.masson.us/blog/ct-of-app...-for-injuries/

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tue, 11 Jun 2019 06:21:40 -0400, Biff Tannen
wrote:

On 6/10/19 6:14 PM, Mike wrote:
I'm building a stone mailbox, however the footer I need to pour (30"×30")
will be over my drainage ditch. Its not really a ditch, but it is a run off
from our rural driveway. Can I build this? Or do I need a pipe through the
base or will that weaken it?

What happens if a motorist is injured when they plow into your Stonehenge style mailbox?

Will you wind up in court?Â* What will it cost to defend yourself?

https://www.masson.us/blog/ct-of-app...-for-injuries/

The desire for a sturdy mailbox post is inversely proportional to the
willingness of the government to hold people who mow them down to be
responsible for replacements. A friend of mine in Maryland was
distressed by the lack of interest in the cops to fine people who were
taking out his mailbox once or twice a month so he sunk a 6" box beam
5 feet in the ground and filled it with concrete. The next guy did not
leave the scene of the accident without a flatbed tow truck. There was
talk of a law suit but it never went anywhere.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

On 6/10/19 6:14 PM, Mike wrote:
[...]

The county snow plow used to knock mine down every winter. So I mounted my mailbox on a 4' arm. Now the plow blade goes underneath without hitting the box or the post.

If I had a vandal problem, I'd hide a half dozen trail cams and get faces and license plates...and then quietly get even.Â* ;-)

Posted to alt.home.repair

posted for all of us...

"Mike" m wrote in message
[...]

I was waiting too. Also if you just plop the foundation in the ditch it will
scour if you do not install some kind of protect such as riprap.

--
Tekkie