Old May 18th 19, 04:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric jet engine motor?

Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

Old May 18th 19, 01:54 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

It is mislabeled. Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric
motor. Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it
requires temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero. It is not
eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum which
is the pollution source.
Old May 18th 19, 02:06 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:54:33 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

It is mislabeled. Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric
motor. Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it
requires temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero. It is not
eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum which
is the pollution source.

Wrong. Did you even read it or look at it? It clearly talks about
fuel cells and shows them generating
electric to run motors to power fans. It sure sounds very stupid
because you would think you could just burn the hydrogen in some
kind of jet engine directly instead and save a lot of weight too.

Old May 18th 19, 05:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

Old May 18th 19, 05:43 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2019 11:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Wrong. Did you even read it or look at it? It clearly talks about
fuel cells and shows them generating
electric to run motors to power fans. It sure sounds very stupid
because you would think you could just burn the hydrogen in some
kind of jet engine directly instead and save a lot of weight too.

I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

That may be the point of the artical.
Hydrogen and oxygen could be produced by the water wheel electric
generators, so no polution there.

Probably just wild dreams. Maybe a good idea, but not practical at the
present time. Just as Dick Tracey's 2 way wrist vidio phone. That is
now possiable.

Obviously when you burn hydrogen you get water and yes if your source of
electrolysis is hydroelectric there is practically no pollution.
But hydroelectric is maxed out and supplemented with atomic energy, coal
and gas fired generators. Wind and solar is only practical is some areas.

Burning hydrogen is somewhat more polluting than use in a fuel cell as
byproducts like nitrogen oxides are avoided. I don't see a hyper-sonic
plane driven by fans or propellers.

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Old May 18th 19, 05:48 PM posted to alt.home.repair

In Frank "frank writes:

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Would you have pointers to some articles about that?

I remember the puff piece on Sixty Minutes about five
years ago where they claimed the Bloom Boxes were
The Next Big Thing and how Google was buying them to
power their facilities.

Yeah, lots of Big PR Money there.

Thanks

Old May 18th 19, 06:16 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 12:48:23 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In Frank "frank writes:

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Would you have pointers to some articles about that?

I remember the puff piece on Sixty Minutes about five
years ago where they claimed the Bloom Boxes were
The Next Big Thing and how Google was buying them to
power their facilities.

Yeah, lots of Big PR Money there.

Thanks

I'd all but forgotten that big breakthrough that was portrayed on
60 Minutes. Very impressive piece, showing the ones that were deployed
at some very big companies. That must be ten years ago. Haven't
heard anything since and I don't hear of them being deployed, sounds
like much ado about nothing.
Old May 18th 19, 06:47 PM posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 May 2019 10:12:09 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

Dihydrogen monoxide is really nasty stuff. It kills over 3500 people a
year and 700 are children.