Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Electric jet engine motor?

Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

It is mislabeled. Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric
motor. Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it
requires temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero. It is not
eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum which
is the pollution source.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 8:54:33 AM UTC-4, Frank wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

It is mislabeled. Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric
motor. Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it
requires temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero. It is not
eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum which
is the pollution source.

Wrong. Did you even read it or look at it? It clearly talks about
fuel cells and shows them generating
electric to run motors to power fans. It sure sounds very stupid
because you would think you could just burn the hydrogen in some
kind of jet engine directly instead and save a lot of weight too.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2019 11:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
In article ,
says...

Wrong. Did you even read it or look at it? It clearly talks about
fuel cells and shows them generating
electric to run motors to power fans. It sure sounds very stupid
because you would think you could just burn the hydrogen in some
kind of jet engine directly instead and save a lot of weight too.

I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

That may be the point of the artical.
Hydrogen and oxygen could be produced by the water wheel electric
generators, so no polution there.

Probably just wild dreams. Maybe a good idea, but not practical at the
present time. Just as Dick Tracey's 2 way wrist vidio phone. That is
now possiable.

Obviously when you burn hydrogen you get water and yes if your source of
electrolysis is hydroelectric there is practically no pollution.
But hydroelectric is maxed out and supplemented with atomic energy, coal
and gas fired generators. Wind and solar is only practical is some areas.

Burning hydrogen is somewhat more polluting than use in a fuel cell as
byproducts like nitrogen oxides are avoided. I don't see a hyper-sonic
plane driven by fans or propellers.

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Posted to alt.home.repair

In Frank "frank writes:

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Would you have pointers to some articles about that?

I remember the puff piece on Sixty Minutes about five
years ago where they claimed the Bloom Boxes were
The Next Big Thing and how Google was buying them to
power their facilities.

Yeah, lots of Big PR Money there.

Thanks

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, May 18, 2019 at 12:48:23 PM UTC-4, danny burstein wrote:
In Frank "frank writes:

Fuel cells can use other sources than hydrogen like lpg or methanol
which are easier to transport. Our state of DE got bamboozled by Bloom
Energy in subsidizing their fuel cells for generation of our electricity
by natural gas. These cells are less efficient than turbines burning
the gas and are not pollution free throughout their life cycle.

Would you have pointers to some articles about that?

I remember the puff piece on Sixty Minutes about five
years ago where they claimed the Bloom Boxes were
The Next Big Thing and how Google was buying them to
power their facilities.

Yeah, lots of Big PR Money there.

Thanks

I'd all but forgotten that big breakthrough that was portrayed on
60 Minutes. Very impressive piece, showing the ones that were deployed
at some very big companies. That must be ten years ago. Haven't
heard anything since and I don't hear of them being deployed, sounds
like much ado about nothing.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 May 2019 10:12:09 -0600, rbowman
wrote:

On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

Dihydrogen monoxide is really nasty stuff. It kills over 3500 people a
year and 700 are children.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2019 1:47 PM, wrote:
Dihydrogen monoxide

Very dangerous stuff:

https://www.dhmo.org/facts.html

I offered to edit this guys Material Safety Data sheet to bring it up to
current GHS/ANSI standards but never heard from him.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2019 12:48 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Bloom Boxes

There have been numerous articles in the local paper. This might be
most recent:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...on/2481853002/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Frank" "frank wrote in message
On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster
Huh?

What am I missing?

It is mislabeled. Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric motor.
Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it requires
temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero.

It is not eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum

No it doesnt, it can also be generated directly by nukes, without using
electrolysis. And electrolysis using intermittent renewable energy like
solar
and wind is one way to help with the intermittency of those energy sources.

which is the pollution source.

Not with nukes and renewable power generation.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 04:55:33 +1000, billj, better known as cantankerous

No i

LOL

which is the pollution source.

Not

LOL

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 May 2019 12:43:39 -0400, Frank "frank wrote:

[...]

You guys are above my head.

I never understood why the Air Force made Algae jet fuel for F-16
jets. Back then it was ~$700.00 a gallon. It don't 'make no damn
sense'.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/19 5:54 AM, Frank wrote:
On 5/17/2019 11:39 PM, T wrote:
Hi All,

An electric jet engine motor?

https://www.foxnews.com/science/nasa...m-eco-disaster

Huh?

What am I missing?

-T

It is mislabeled.Â* Just a jet using hydrogen not to run an electric
motor.Â* Obvious problem with hydrogen is carrying enough fuel since it
requires temperature only about 20 deg C above absolute zero.Â* It is not
eco free either as it has to come from electrolysis or petroleum which
is the pollution source.

It sure sounded like they were using the hydrogen to create
electricity which ran the engines.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/18/2019 11:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen.* Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct.* The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

* Better check that molecule , I think what you meant was dihydrogen
monoxide .

--
Snag
Yes , I'm old

Posted to alt.home.repair

Frank posted for all of us...

On 5/18/2019 12:48 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Bloom Boxes

There have been numerous articles in the local paper. This might be
most recent:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...on/2481853002/

Typical when the govt gets involved.

--
Tekkie
Posted to alt.home.repair

Oren posted for all of us...

[...]

Somebodies BIL had the contract.

--
Tekkie

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2019 4:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

I never understood why the Air Force made Algae jet fuel for F-16
jets. Back then it was ~$700.00 a gallon. It don't 'make no damn
sense'.

Somebodies BIL had the contract.

It does not make sense at that cost, but sometimes they discover ways to
make that formerly $700 item for less than a buck.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/20/2019 4:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Frank posted for all of us...

On 5/18/2019 12:48 PM, danny burstein wrote:
Bloom Boxes

There have been numerous articles in the local paper. This might be
most recent:

https://www.delawareonline.com/story...on/2481853002/

Typical when the govt gets involved.

It appears nobody but the politicians want to keep them on. There is a
surcharge of maybe five bucks a month on our electric bills, Bloom has
not brought the jobs it promised to the state and there is that
pollution problem.

State also got hoodwinked on offshore windmill study that resulted in
nothing and electric cars being manufactured at our old GM site.

Bloom is at our old Chrysler plant site. Maybe both auto plants may
have been retained but the state joined other states with carbon limits
and effectively chased out a lot of heavy industry. Car paint lines are
responsible for most of their plant emissions.

Our only refinery was shut down and a friend in the EPA said our Dem
Governor appeared gleeful. Then they discovered they chased out a lot
of good jobs and the taxes that came with them and helped get the
refinery reopened.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 19:01:29 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/20/2019 4:50 PM, Tekkie® wrote:
Oren posted for all of us...

I never understood why the Air Force made Algae jet fuel for F-16
jets. Back then it was ~$700.00 a gallon. It don't 'make no damn
sense'.

Somebodies BIL had the contract.

It does not make sense at that cost, but sometimes they discover ways to
make that formerly $700 item for less than a buck.

But it cost many dollars to produe the Algae. Add phosfates to rivers,
streames, lakes an ponds. Then refine it

Seems moonshine would be easier for fuel.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 05/20/2019 01:35 PM, Terry Coombs wrote:
On 5/18/2019 11:12 AM, rbowman wrote:
On 05/18/2019 09:51 AM, Ralph Mowery wrote:
I don't know what you get when burning hydrogen. Maybe or maybe not a
harmful byproduct. The fuel cell will only produce water.

Hydrogen dioxide, really nasty stuff...

Better check that molecule , I think what you meant was dihydrogen
monoxide .

No, I really meant the hydroperoxyl radical. Honest. It's the answer to
AOC's pollutants.