Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Do floating shelves actually work?

On Sat, 18 May 2019 23:12:16 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sat, 18 May 2019 21:16:24 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2019 19:22:33 +0100, dpb wrote:

The mounting plate the rods are welded to that the screws go thru,
silly...

I thought the whole idea was it was invisible. Jut a rod terminating in
a single screw, all inline. If there's a plate, surely that's visible?

Not if you make the shelf thicker than the plate is tall it isn't, no.

Surely the shelf can only be an inch or so thick or it'd look ridiculous.
That's not enough to give leverage to a bracket.

The single screw inline would function the same way with roughly half
the bearing capacity altho one could have larger screw which would have
more holding power.

Again the load would be distributed along the rod and and the moment
introduced would end up in _mostly_ tension on the screw.

That could be done with a smaller flat collar (washer) flange welded to
the rod for some bearing support but unless machined a flat or other way
to grasp would be much harder to mount than the screws and a small plate.

The LV model is for 1" thick shelf with 1/16" of material left
above/below the plate for hiding it which leaves 7/8" for height of the
plate itself. Needs about that much for enough bearing room for the
screw heads for a #8.

What's missing and does limit the load capacity to what the screw
holding power is is that there's no 45 brace of any sort here to relieve
some of the moment arm from the bracket screw.

Indeed. Which is why I just use a normal bracket. It goes 6 inches down
from the shelf and has a 45 degree brace.

And looks much worse than a floating shelf.

It looks like a shelf, instead of some new age **** out of star trek.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage.* The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOT Alert!

On Sun, 19 May 2019 11:19:58 -0500, dpb, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile idiot, blathered:

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Looks like even the troll that you keep feeding doesn't give a ****,
troll-feeding senile idiot! LOL
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/17/19 8:42 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Fri, 17 May 2019 00:47:03 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:41:45 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 23:14:06 +0100, wrote:

On Thu, 16 May 2019 19:20:14 +0100, "Commander Kinsey"
wrote:

I've put up my own shelves with proper brackets.
But I see these "floating shelves" advertised.* I thought,
"What's holding them up?"* Apparently there's no right angle involved,
just a screw going straight into the back of the shelf out of the
wall.
How can that possibly support anything?

Here's one style** :

http://www.leevalley.com/en/Hardware...648,43649&ap=1

It doesn't say how big the two screws on each support are,
but why don't they just get ripped out of the wall?

* The*** " Instr "** link* on the web page does give more details* :
**** " secure the base plate using a #8 x 1-1/2" (or longer)
************ flat-head* screws "
.. that's for wood studs ;* for metal studs - read the* Instr. .
The weight bearing ability* is* in the product description.
** John T.

A 1.5" screw doesn't sound like it could take much sideways force.

There will be a bit of friction between the shelf mounting plate
and the
wall itself if the screws are tightened properly in the first place.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 5/19/2019 11:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage.* The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

And they're not coming even close to doing so here -- the rated load for
the dimensions is at least 2X less than the lower range of holding power
in soft pine as shown previously.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 18:46:35 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 11:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

And they're not coming even close to doing so here -- the rated load for
the dimensions is at least 2X less than the lower range of holding power
in soft pine as shown previously.

I'll stick to proper brackets which allow for leverage.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

If the walls are anything like UK walls, the wood used is cheap softwood and can't take much force.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sat, 18 May 2019 23:32:50 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2019 21:16:24 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sat, 18 May 2019 19:22:33 +0100, dpb wrote:

The mounting plate the rods are welded to that the screws go thru,
silly...

I thought the whole idea was it was invisible. Jut a rod terminating
in
a single screw, all inline. If there's a plate, surely that's
visible?

Not if you make the shelf thicker than the plate is tall it isn't, no.

Surely the shelf can only be an inch or so thick or it'd look
ridiculous. That's not enough to give leverage to a bracket.

If you would go look at the LV link a zillion folks have pointed you to,
you would realize that's exactly what it is sized for.

And, it's sufficient leverage for 100-lb distributed load on a 5-1/2"
wide shelf with two arms.

This has gone beyond ridiculous.

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage.

Still allows 100lb on that shelf fine.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 12:46:35 -0500, dpb, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile idiot, blathered again:

And they're not coming even close to doing so here -- the rated load for
the dimensions is at least 2X less than the lower range of holding power
in soft pine as shown previously.

And now try to pull your thick senile head slowly out of the troll's arse,
you thick, troll-feeding senile asshole! BG

Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Troll-feeding Senile IDIOTS Alert!

On Sun, 19 May 2019 12:25:14 -0500, Dean Hoffman, another mentally
deficient, troll-feeding, senile idiot, blathered again:

There will be a bit of friction between the shelf mounting plate
and the
wall itself if the screws are tightened properly in the first place.

Are you sure, you screwed, troll-feeding, senile asshole? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 04:56:35 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

YOU won't survive your idiotic trolling for much longer, senile Rodent, you
abnormal, 85-year-old senile pest! BG

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 04:49:50 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

So, for how long are you retarded asshole trolls STILL going to go on about
that idiotic shelf? LOL

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

[...]

I doubt it. You do understand levers right?

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:56:35 +0100, Rod Speed wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

Why have you lost your metricness?
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

I doubt it.

Doesn't matter what you doubt, it does anyway.

And trivial to test.

You do understand levers right?

Yep, unlike you would can't even manage to work out that the force
on the screws is pulling them out of the wall with that bracket.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

I prefer that there isnt some ugly bracket visible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news
On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product
description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

Why have you lost your metricness?

I havent. The spec uses pounds so I used that.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed

Still allows 100lb on that shelf fine.

I doubt it.* You do understand levers right?

I previously gave the moment balance that clearly illustrates it can
easily support the 100 lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf.

Show your force balance/calculation of the system that it isn't so.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 21:21:21 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed

Still allows 100lb on that shelf fine.

I doubt it. You do understand levers right?

I previously gave the moment balance that clearly illustrates it can
easily support the 100 lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf.

Show your force balance/calculation of the system that it isn't so.

You might aswell ask me to calculate if a torch could be seen from the moon.

Posted to alt.home.repair

news On Sun, 19 May 2019 17:19:58 +0100, dpb wrote:

On 5/19/2019 10:28 AM, Commander Kinsey wrote:

What's ridiculous is you not realising that a 12 inch shelf pulling
against a 1 inch bracket is a LOT of leverage. The bracket has to be
about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

I previously posted the calculation above that shows actual moment arm
is well within the product specs with at least a 2X safety margin.

And, YET AGAIN READ THE BLODDY SPEC SHEET!!!! -- the product
description
shelf depth is 5-1/2" not 1-ft.

Spec sheets can't break the laws of physics.

Trivial to check if it survives a 100lb load fine.

Why have you lost your metricness?

I havent. The spec uses pounds so I used that.

If I saw a spec written in French, I wouldn't use it. I'd write it in here in English.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

With a huge force due to the amplification from the leverage. Those shelves are just like crowbars pulling nails out of a wall.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

I prefer that there isnt some ugly bracket visible.

Then get a nice looking bracket.
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Yep, unlike you who can't even manage to work out that the force
on the screws is pulling them out of the wall with that bracket.

With a huge force due to the amplification from the leverage.

Clearly works fine when the spec shows it will hold 100lb on the shelf.

Those shelves are just like crowbars pulling nails out of a wall.

And work fine anyway, because even you should have noticed
that the shelf isnt anything like as deep as the crowbar is long.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

I prefer that there isnt some ugly bracket visible.

Then get a nice looking bracket.

No thanks, I'll use one that is completely invisible.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

"Commander Kinsey" wrote in message
news On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed
wrote:

[...]

I wouldn't believe claims like that if I were you. I have some batteries here that claim 2500mAh, they actually hold 400.

Those shelves are just like crowbars pulling nails out of a wall.

And work fine anyway, because even you should have noticed
that the shelf isnt anything like as deep as the crowbar is long.

You can get short crowbars.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

I prefer that there isnt some ugly bracket visible.

Then get a nice looking bracket.

No thanks, I'll use one that is completely invisible.

Are you a woman? A shelf serves a purpose, it's not to look pretty.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 05:37:38 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I havent. The spec uses pounds so I used that.

A little disagreement between our two resident psychopaths? LOL

little ignorant ****."
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 05:36:48 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH all the unbelievably retarded troll****

--
Richard addressing Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 06:46:25 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

FLUSH another load of unbelievably idiotic troll****

....and much better air in here!

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 15:21:21 -0500, dpb, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile idiot, blathered:

I previously gave the moment balance that clearly illustrates it can
easily support the 100 lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf.

Show your force balance/calculation of the system that it isn't so.

I will show you up for the troll-feeding senile asshole that you really are,
senile ****head! BTW, what does "dpb" stand for? Is that dumb, pwned and
braindead? Just guessing. BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Trivial to test the claim and see that its accurate.

I have some batteries here that claim 2500mAh, they actually hold 400.

Irrelevant to something entirely mechanical and like a shelf bracket.

Those shelves are just like crowbars pulling nails out of a wall.

And work fine anyway, because even you should have noticed
that the shelf isnt anything like as deep as the crowbar is long.

You can get short crowbars.

And you will find that they don't work very well, for a reason.

The bracket has to be about the same height as the depth of the
shelf.

Obviously it doesn't and looks much better done that way.

If you want your house to look like MacOS.

I prefer that there isnt some ugly bracket visible.

Then get a nice looking bracket.

No thanks, I'll use one that is completely invisible.

Are you a woman? A shelf serves a purpose, it's not to look pretty.

No reason why it can look better and serve its purpose too.

All of my roof gutter downpipes are completely invisible.
Looks much better than the stupid abortion with them
on the wall.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 08:00:27 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

All of my roof gutter downpipes are completely invisible.

If you only managed to do that with your conspicuous idiocy, eh, you senile
****head? LOL

--
Bod addressing abnormal senile quarreller Rot:
"Do you practice arguing with yourself in an empty room?"
MID:

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 21:21:21 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed

Still allows 100lb on that shelf fine.

I doubt it.* You do understand levers right?

I previously gave the moment balance that clearly illustrates it can
easily support the 100 lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf.

Show your force balance/calculation of the system that it isn't so.

You might aswell ask me to calculate if a torch could be seen from the
moon.

I thought as much...

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Sun, 19 May 2019 18:04:30 -0500, dpb, the notorious, troll-feeding,
senile idiot, blathered:

I thought

Did you, you troll-feeding asshole? BG
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Mon, 20 May 2019 00:04:30 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2019 21:21:21 +0100, dpb wrote:

On Sun, 19 May 2019 19:49:50 +0100, Rod Speed

Still allows 100lb on that shelf fine.

I doubt it. You do understand levers right?

I previously gave the moment balance that clearly illustrates it can
easily support the 100 lb distributed load on a 5-1/2" wide shelf.

Show your force balance/calculation of the system that it isn't so.

You might aswell ask me to calculate if a torch could be seen from the
moon.

I thought as much...

You really are gullible aren't you?

Floating shelves Farmer Giles[_2_] UK diy 4 November 7th 11 11:52 PM
Floating Wavy Book Shelves niki2481 Woodworking 0 November 25th 08 02:42 PM
Floating shelves SJP UK diy 0 June 15th 08 11:25 AM
help with floating floor pipe access(how to patch floating floor) Jon UK diy 0 June 18th 06 01:59 PM
Floating Shelves DCMyers1 UK diy 3 September 13th 04 02:28 PM