DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Reduce dust (https://www.diybanter.com/home-repair/635733-reduce-dust.html)

A K May 16th 19 04:12 PM

Reduce dust

I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Cindy Hamilton[_2_] May 16th 19 04:16 PM

Reduce dust

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:12:18 AM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Insufficient data.

What kind of dwelling? (single-family, multi-unit?)
Age of structure?
Do you keep your windows open or closed, typically?
What kind of air filters?
How often is "change AC filters often"?
Is ductwork well sealed?
Does the ductwork run through a dusty space like an attic?
Street shoes worn in house?

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few and others here will ask
additional questions.

Cindy Hamilton

Meanie[_2_] May 16th 19 04:54 PM

Reduce dust

On 5/16/2019 11:16 AM, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:12:18 AM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Insufficient data.

What kind of dwelling? (single-family, multi-unit?)
Age of structure?
Do you keep your windows open or closed, typically?
What kind of air filters?
How often is "change AC filters often"?
Is ductwork well sealed?
Does the ductwork run through a dusty space like an attic?
Street shoes worn in house?

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few and others here will ask
additional questions.

Cindy Hamilton

Agreed. There are many variables to consider when determining causes of
dust penetration. But in a general scenario, exhaust fans in various
room windows or a whole house fan would remove much dust and airborne
particles.

trader_4 May 16th 19 05:09 PM

Reduce dust

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:16:40 AM UTC-4, Cindy Hamilton wrote:
On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:12:18 AM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Insufficient data.

What kind of dwelling? (single-family, multi-unit?)
Age of structure?
Do you keep your windows open or closed, typically?
What kind of air filters?

That's an important one, but maybe not so easy to fix. Some furnaces
just have a spot for a skinny filter. With the right filter housing
you can put in a 4" thick pleated one that traps smaller particles.

How often is "change AC filters often"?
Is ductwork well sealed?
Does the ductwork run through a dusty space like an attic?
Street shoes worn in house?

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few and others here will ask
additional questions.

Cindy Hamilton

Using a good vacuum that filters properly? I have central, which is even
better, and dust that gets by and odors go outside.

Oren[_2_] May 16th 19 05:31 PM

Reduce dust

On Thu, 16 May 2019 08:16:35 -0700 (PDT), Cindy Hamilton
wrote:

On Thursday, May 16, 2019 at 11:12:18 AM UTC-4, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Insufficient data.

What kind of dwelling? (single-family, multi-unit?)
Age of structure?
Do you keep your windows open or closed, typically?
What kind of air filters?
How often is "change AC filters often"?
Is ductwork well sealed?
Does the ductwork run through a dusty space like an attic?
Street shoes worn in house?

I'm sure I've forgotten quite a few and others here will ask
additional questions.

Cindy Hamilton

Agree. Adding:

sealing around the attic scuttle access door
ensuring door seals fit well and not leak
same with windows.

A smoke pencil or incense stick can help locate were drafts are
entering the home. I'm in the desert and we have howling dust storms
occasionaly :)

Bob F May 17th 19 12:06 AM

Reduce dust

On 5/16/2019 8:12 AM, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Buy better (higher MERV) filters.
Vacuum better, with a better vac.

Ed Pawlowski[_3_] May 17th 19 01:32 AM

Reduce dust

On 5/16/2019 7:06 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 5/16/2019 8:12 AM, A K wrote:
I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Buy better (higher MERV) filters.
Vacuum better, with a better vac.

Dust comes from dead skin, carpets, fabrics and dirt blown in and
tracked in from outside.

We recently moved from CT to FL. We noticed a huge decrease in dust.
This house does have hot air heat and AC and I use MERV13 filters. We
have more tile and less carpet. Aside from that, I have no idea why the
dust has nearly disappeared. Previous house had hot water heat so no air
filtration.

We'd have to dust at least one a week before. Now, we do have a
cleaning lady every two weeks but we have not dusted at all and don't
really see it even when she comes.

Aside from the heating system, I have no explanation for the difference
but will continue to change the filter every 2 months.

[email protected] May 17th 19 01:44 AM

Reduce dust

On Thu, 16 May 2019 20:32:39 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

On 5/16/2019 7:06 PM, Bob F wrote:
On 5/16/2019 8:12 AM, A K wrote:
[...]

There is a lot more pollen in the air. The sand we call dirt grades
down to dust too. Couple that with having the windows open a lot and
you get a lot of dust. There is a regular haboob every time I cut the
grass.

slate_leeper[_2_] May 17th 19 12:28 PM

Reduce dust

On Thu, 16 May 2019 08:12:13 -0700 (PDT), A K
wrote:

I am looking for tips on reducing dust.

I already do these.

1. change ac filters often
2. Use a fan powered ionic air cleaner
3. mop and vacuum frequently

Andy

Two dogs. Soil that is mostly clay. I gave up and hired a weekly
cleaning service. Much less dust now. (I also have three air cleaners
in different rooms. They did not keep up with the dogs.)

An ion air cleaner, I found, is not very effective on dust. One of my
filters is a large Honeywell that I got at Home Depot. Looks like a
barrel cut down to half height. This one has activated-charcoal
pre-filters wrapped around paper filters. When the "clean" light goes
on, I remove the prefilters and beat them against my chain link fence.
Make sure the wind is blowing away from you grin. The paper filter I
vacuum with the brush accessory. I have not had the "replace filter"
light come on ever in five years.

-dan z-

--
Someone who thinks logically provides